Old 03-24-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
RydeWitM3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default 4.2 OS Bugs?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey Guys,

A quick general question for all. I am a heavy Blackberry user, and is it just me or is the software on the pearl and the 8800 more buggy then the 8700? With the pearl, software was pretty good and it had some small software bugs every now and then(i had a wierd issue where when i was using bluetooth, and i go to answer a call when i was already on one, it would send it to voicemail), but the 8800 is giving me all kinds of problems. Every now and then when i go to dial a # it gives a unhandled exception error and it lags alot. Now to the point, anyone that can give me some input, do you think the 8300 software is better, is the 8700 the most stable? Should i switch back? Should i stick it out, till the 8300 comes out? The lagging in the 8800 is driving me nuts, when i type a name from the home screen it doesnt find it in my address book and i gotta delete letters slowly till it shows the names, then i can retype the rest and it will find it. Its as if it cant keep up with me.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I haven't found the lag or bugs on the 8800 to be any worse than the 8700.

How many contacts do you have? What apps are you running?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
RydeWitM3
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have about 600 +/- contacts, and I only have Ramble installed, and I barely ever use Ramble. I use my Blackberry mostly for email, calendar, and phone. The lag on the 8800 is def much more the 8700, when you are in menus and are scrolling with the ball it is always at least half a step behind, the 8700 isnt. When you want to scroll to Answer and drop current sometimes the delay is so much you miss with the ball, and it was not like that at all on the pearl. I never had any java errors on my 8700. The 8800 gives me java errors once in a while, and only in the phone menu.

TIA
Old 03-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydeWitM3
Hey Guys,

A quick general question for all. I am a heavy Blackberry user, and is it just me or is the software on the pearl and the 8800 more buggy then the 8700? With the pearl, software was pretty good and it had some small software bugs every now and then(i had a wierd issue where when i was using bluetooth, and i go to answer a call when i was already on one, it would send it to voicemail), but the 8800 is giving me all kinds of problems. Every now and then when i go to dial a # it gives a unhandled exception error and it lags alot. Now to the point, anyone that can give me some input, do you think the 8300 software is better, is the 8700 the most stable? Should i switch back? Should i stick it out, till the 8300 comes out? The lagging in the 8800 is driving me nuts, when i type a name from the home screen it doesnt find it in my address book and i gotta delete letters slowly till it shows the names, then i can retype the rest and it will find it. Its as if it cant keep up with me.

Thanks in advance

I periodicaly run into bugs but they don't seem any worse than previous devices (the 8700 seemed to be the most steady however mine went through about 6 or 8 OS upgrades so it probably should have been steady).

The bugs that I experience with the 8800

-Periodic java errors when dialing
-Periodic phone hanging with continuous tone when attempting to dial
-If I shut off an MP3 that is playing, when my phone turns on automatically in the morning -- it starts playing the MP3 again
-I think this is a Cingular network problem but periodically I loose connectivity with my BES and network - turning the signal on/off usually works but once or twice I had to go the batter pull route.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

No question the 8800 is laggy. I hate pulling it from the holster and seeing a white screen. I don't really get java errors though. I am hoping some OS upgrades along the way will slim it down. Yes the 8700 is the most stable. Might be that the 8800 is just plain underpowered. Don't think the 8300 will be better with new features like a camera and spell check. That is OS 4.2.2 btw. So time will tell.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

I have not seen 8800 been slow and sure have not seen 'a white screen' when pulling it from the holster.

I had 8700 before switching to 8800 and can't tell the difference.

May be mine is built better or has newer OS version. I got 8800 last week.

I had one Java error when I tried to use BB Maps with GPS when out of coverage for both. Yeah, one of these 'undisclosed locations' few floors underground.

The Java error was annoying and device froze for good 1-2 minutes before giving up and giving the error, but I can live with that.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

I kept my 8800 for about 2 weeks before returning it and going back to my rock-solid stable 8700c. I'm amazed at how many 8800 apologist there are here. "I don't have any lag" or "I don't see any difference between the 8700 and 8800". The reality is that the 8800 is very "buggy". It's not a matter of opinion or personal preference, it just is. Those who don't want to admit that are obviously being blinded by those shiny sides. You know, the squeaky ones!!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
nimocone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

How can I be an apologist or blinded if I'm simply not having problems? I pull it out of the holster and there's the main screen. I can use the gps without problems as it locks on every time I want it. I've had mine over a month and it doesn't squeak. I surf the internet with minimal lag but I expect that on a device like this. *My* reality is that I have no problems and I come here to tell it like others who come here to complain about it.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I'm with Stinsonddogg. I don't get java errors but do see more of a lag than I had on the 8700. But it's also not bad enough to the point of not wanting to use the device.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
Those who don't want to admit that are obviously being blinded by those shiny sides. You know, the squeaky ones!!
I really do not see the need to insult the intelligence of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic
I'm with Stinsonddogg. I don't get java errors but do see more of a lag than I had on the 8700. But it's also not bad enough to the point of not wanting to use the device.

Had it since launch and not once did I get the white screen or errors. The only error I had was with lexspell beta which I took out since. Yes it lags a bit and this does not bother me as it was a bit worse on the Pearl. Like Stinson said, it must be the OS.

Last edited by hf1khal; 03-25-2007 at 10:00 AM..
Old 03-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I'm also looking forward to a more refined 8800 version and find this to be slow especially when using the GPS and trying to use other functions. Other than slow, I've seen java errors too mostly when using PocketDay (sorry crs) and I've also had the problem where when dialing a number you get the keytone that won't stop.

I don't bother thinking about switching to the 8300 or anything else until it isn't vaporware. Nice to read up on it but if you start comparing what is available now to what may be available next month...

It would be nice if RIM came up with a database validator or cleanup utility. Just to run thorugh your BB and make sure the database isn't hosed and causing some problems.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #12
RydeWitM3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok I thought maybe i was the only one, but the bugs that I experience are

-java errors when dialing
-phone hanging with continuous tone when attempting to dial
-and the lag

I hope they fix this real soon, or I think I will go back to the 8700
Closed Thread