Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #41
zebo51
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: TAIL ON DONKEY
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I haven't noticed any sounds or echo issues on mine. Just got it last week, applied the Bell or Sprint software so I could get stereo bluetooth which works just fine on my verizon phone. I have used it both with and without a bluetooth device and people on the other end say I sound just fine. One time I sounded muffled, but the next time the same person said it was fine, must have been the area I was in. I held a conversation driving with my window down around maybe 40mph and bluetooth device in my right ear.

Not my first BB, but first I have used for voice. It is a keeper so far for me.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #42
palladium

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-mobile

Any updates to this problem? I recently purchased the 8830 and noticed the sensitive background noise also. I really like the phone but will be returning it if this does not resolve.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #43
mattk0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not that I know of, I called Verizon not to long ago for the 3rd time and it was the "first time they've heard of this!".
Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #44
palladium

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-mobile

Do you think it is worth going to the store and exchanging my phone? Also, I'm wondering if I got a refurbished phone because my total call timer has 5 days and 23 hours on it and I know I have not used it that much.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #45
Maniac8888

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint, China Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by palladium View Post
Do you think it is worth going to the store and exchanging my phone? Also, I'm wondering if I got a refurbished phone because my total call timer has 5 days and 23 hours on it and I know I have not used it that much.
Sounds like you ended up with a return/refurb. I have not had any problems with voice quality with my 8830. I couldn't be happier all around.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #46
Bat9th

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Could this be a carrier issue? Like the problem is with Verizon and maybe not Sprint?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #47
Sjjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat9th View Post
Could this be a carrier issue? Like the problem is with Verizon and maybe not Sprint?
looks like it as nobody with a sprint 8830 complained? (judging by everyones sig's)
Old 08-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #48
bjack56

PIN: 301A75A8
Carrier: Telus

Telus even goes as far as saying (quote) "Advanced sound technology that cancels background noise and echo" on their site.
My 8830 should be in today, and the first thing I'll be doing is testing call quality. I'm just hoping it's as good or close to that of the Q I'm looking to replace.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #49
LilMikey

Model: 7520
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjack56 View Post
Telus even goes as far as saying (quote) "Advanced sound technology that cancels background noise and echo" on their site.
My 8830 should be in today, and the first thing I'll be doing is testing call quality. I'm just hoping it's as good or close to that of the Q I'm looking to replace.
My boss and I have 2 new 8830s from Telus and we were testing them out for the last 4 days. One time I thought he was driving in his truck with the window down when I told him to close his windows, he said he was in an office. These phones are terrible for background noise, as well as some echo'ing I do hear as well.

They are going back for sure until they figure this problem out. Its sad cause I do like everything else about these phones.
MySpace: tat2lilmikey
Old 09-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #50
davefox73

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Poor Sound Quality of 8830

My daughter-in-law and I both use the 8830 on the Verizon Wireless network. We both receive constant complaints from people we talk to about how they can hardly understand us because of all the background sounds the the microphone picks up. After seeing that many others are having the same problem, I am going to return my phone unless Verizon or BlackBerry come up with a fix. http://www.blackberryforums.com/imag...s/icon_sad.gif
Old 09-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #51
davefox73

Default 8830 Background Noise Problem

As I previously reported and many others have also reported there seems to be a severe problem with background noise when making calls using an 8830. I called Verizon Wireless tech support today and they claim that no one else besides me has reported the problem and suggested that I call BlackBerry at 887-255-2377. I called the number and the only way I can speak to someone is if I want to pay to talk to them. Please, everyone that is having the background noise problem, please keep calling Verizon Wireless tech support at (888) 294-6804 and again report your problems with the 8830.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #52
ptarter

Carrier: sprint
Thumbs down load background sound to caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat9th View Post
I have the exact same problem on mine with Sprint!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #53
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptarter View Post
I haven't heard of any such problems with the Alltel model (knock on wood). No one has complained to me that they're having difficulty hearing during my calls. The hansdet was released 8/30.

I show v4.2.2.123 (Platform 3.0.0.64). If that helps....
Old 09-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #54
davefox73

Default Excessive Background Noise Problem 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefox73 View Post
As I previously reported and many others have also reported there seems to be a severe problem with background noise when making calls using an 8830. I called Verizon Wireless tech support today and they claim that no one else besides me has reported the problem and suggested that I call BlackBerry at 887-255-2377. I called the number and the only way I can speak to someone is if I want to pay to talk to them. Please, everyone that is having the background noise problem, please keep calling Verizon Wireless tech support at (888) 294-6804 and again report your problems with the 8830.
I called RIM today about the problem. They claimed that were unaware of the problem and connected me back to a Verizon Wireless tech support person. Explained the problem to him and he also said Verizon was not aware of the problem. Told him about the forum and that many people are experiencing the excess background noise problems and that people who have recieved replacement phones continue to have the same problem. I asked him if I could email him the URL for this forum and discussion. He gave me his email address as <william.reid2@verizonwireless.com>. I suggest that everyone using a Verizon 8830 email him about your noise problem. Here is what I sent him:

Hi William,

Thanks for patiently listening to my problems with my 8830 BlackBerry. The issue with extreme background noise on all calls where there is any other noise is so bad that people don't even want to talk with me. This is a business phone for many people and people are frequently in airports, hotel lobbies, and other nosy places when on the phone. As you can see, from the URL below, I am not the only one with this problem. I have spoken to other people using the 8830 and their phones are also picking up excessive background noise that makes communications difficult. I think that Verizon Wireless should suspend sales of the 8830 until RIM comes up with a solution.

Please see:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...sue-phone.html

I would like some appreciate some feedback on what Verizon Wireless and RIM are doing to fix the problem and when we can all expect a software patch.

Please feel free to forward my message to anyone in Verizon Wireless or RIM.

Sincerely,
Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #55
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefox73 View Post
I also had alot of complaints, but after installing the latest VZW firmware, the complaints are gone. I am assuming that a fix for the background noise was part of this update but not documented. I have tested by leaving a vm while crinkling paper etc. on a landline and listening to the vm - definitely better than it used to be, but not as good as I believe it should be.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #56
ME109

Default Background noise not a carrier issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptarter View Post
I am on Sprint and do not have the echo issue but am suffering with the background noise issue. My clients constantly ask me if I am in the toilet as I walk by automatic doors, open the fridge, use the coffee machine etc.

Unfortunately this is a very bad first-time Blackberry experience for me. I waited 2 years for Sprint to start carrying the BB service and was delighted when the 8830 was released (I can't switch carriers as Sprint is the only carrier that works in my house). Great features but my 5 year old Nokia sounded about 200% better than this.

Am keen to see if anyone has managed to successfully resolve this background noise issue through firmware (Sprint) updates (versus handset unit returns). Please post if you have news.

Thanks ... Unhappy 8830 user.
Closed Thread