windycitybberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default new 8310 curve user - frustrated

Please Login to Remove!

hello all,
i actually hesitated to post this but i am at the end of my rope.

i purchased my first blackberry on yesterday and have been trying to get used to it and set it up with some inital settings. i don't know if it is because i am new to the blackberry world, but i am very frustrated with trying to get some of the things set-up. i have set-up, or at least i think i have, my personal email and a att.blackberry.net address, but have been having difficulty setting up my work email address, which is outlook.

i've also been having trouble trying to use the blackberry messenger, and acquiring, and setting ringtones for different callers or different types of messages, such as emails, texts. can you set the ringtones to differentiate from personal emails and work emails?
i have tried reading the manuals that came with it, but i feel they just don't provide enough info. i'm also looking at the cd that came with the phone as well.

there are some other issues, but i just don't feel like making this a terribly long post. i apologize if this is too long already.

i just hope i haven't made a mistake in purchasing this phone. i know it is supposed to make things easier but all i seem have with it is difficulty.

can anyone please help? i plan on calling the at&t support number tomorrow and seeing if they can walk me through some things.

is there also a few tricks to customizing this phone or changing the way things appear on the screen, such as icons, and using the web browser so that it looks less "text-like" ?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
option94
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 21BFC0A1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (At&t curve)

Start here

www.blackberryfaq.com
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

get a copy of stinsonsdogs tips as well
Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

How can I personalize my alerts from specific contacts? - BlackBerryFAQ
custom notifications
the work email address may not be able to be accessed. it depends on how it is set up on your work side. What problems do you have with BBM? What other issues do you have? Welcome to the forums by the way
Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
windycitybberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

thank you for the welcome sith. the work email should work as fellow co-workers have managed to set theirs up. i will be calling them as well for some assistance.

i think part of it is due to a feeling of being overwhelmed by this new device with all the features and feeling as if there is tooo much to learn.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybberry View Post
thank you for the welcome sith. the work email should work as fellow co-workers have managed to set theirs up. i will be calling them as well for some assistance.

i think part of it is due to a feeling of being overwhelmed by this new device with all the features and feeling as if there is tooo much to learn.
Don't let it get to you. Yes you can change the icon arrangements. I recommend the Zen theme, it's the one with only 5 on the main screen. Open your application list (one with all of the icons, hightlight an icon and hit menu>Move (drag it where you want, the first five in line with show on your main screen) if it's some you don't use highlight it and press Menu>hide (and you wont see it anymore.

You really should check out stinson dog's tips for initial set-up. it's worth it's weight in gold. The link is above.

Good luck and feel free to ask! It;s best to do it one question per post. We are here to help!

Enjoy!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 03-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
windycitybberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

thank, i appreciate all of the help from those that took the time to post. i will break down individual questions in the future. sorry.

and thanks again.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Just take your time. All of here remember when we first started out and there is a little learning curve. After years and years, we all still are learning something!

The more you use your Blackberry the more you will appreciate the things that are built into the device! Just take it step by step and before you know it you will have all the basic stuff you need from day to day down and running!

We all hope you enjoy!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
i actually hesitated to post this but i am at the end of my rope.
There's no reason to be hesitant -- it's the whole point of these forums to ask questions and discuss matters.

Quote:
i have set-up, or at least i think i have, my personal email and a att.blackberry.net address, but have been having difficulty setting up my work email address, which is outlook.
Hmm, Outlook doesn't really help. It's a mail client and Outlook can be used with Exchange, POP, IMAP and possibly some other mail systems. If you have coworkers that have already set up their work accounts on their own BB's then it might be best to check with them.

Quote:
i've also been having trouble trying to use the blackberry messenger
What problems specifically with BB Messenger? You do realize that it's only for BB to BB IM, right? It doesn't support AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc.

Quote:
...and acquiring, and setting ringtones for different callers or different types of messages, such as emails, texts. can you set the ringtones to differentiate from personal emails and work emails?
Absolutely. This is all set via Profiles. If you're tinkering around in there then you need to make sure that you're editing the active profile. It's pretty straightforward if you poke around there for a bit. Just make sure that once you click on the Profiles icon that you scroll down to Advanced. Otherwise, if you just click on a profile you're selecting it to be the active Profile.

In any case, in each profile you'll see where you can set the alerts for various items. Each email account has its own alert. You can use exceptions to assign personal ringtones to contacts in your address book (IIRC you can also set them via the address book).

As for loading new alerts, ringtones, etc, I prefer to use Mass Storage Mode. Your media card will appear as a removable drive on your PC and you can just copy files across. It's probably easiest just to find ringtones and alerts in MP3 format.

Quote:
i just hope i haven't made a mistake in purchasing this phone. i know it is supposed to make things easier but all i seem have with it is difficulty.

can anyone please help? i plan on calling the at&t support number tomorrow and seeing if they can walk me through some things.
Give it some time and play with it. None of us became experts overnight. It's a sophisticated device even us veterans learn something new every once in a while.

Someone in another thread pointed out that the documentation on the CD is a bit more thorough.

I don't really recommend calling at&t for help unless it's something that only they can take care of. It's not that they don't have good reps. It's just very hit-and-miss in my experience.

Last edited by takeshi; 03-27-2008 at 02:14 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
tieshabritton
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

and also check out themes4bb.com, get some themes-your berry will like how you dress her up in different themes and wallpapers!
Closed Thread