Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #21
Rubicant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Welcome aboard.

Blackberry: Canadian for flashlight. (Its a joke...I often find myself using my BB as a flashlight.)
Old 12-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #22
george50

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triforce66 View Post
I am in the same boat.. waiting for VW to to release 4.5 for us.. maybe I will have to check out what betas are out there..
Welcome..

You DO need 4.5

I prefer Google Maps though, the maps are better with more detail.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #23
rockbottom8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 321D643B
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawk774 View Post
says within 1m.
ahhh ur attel, not vzw! lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #24
RichardMiami
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630

I have written to Verizon and gotten the following email, and made my response (which is at the top)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Please escalate this. This email does not answer my question, except to say that xxx8220;At this time, we are unable to state when the 4.5 software for BlackBerry 8830 will become available as no information has been given.xxx8217;

It is hard to believe that Verizon and/or RIM is rolling out a major operating system upgrade without a plan. Someone must know a schedule.

Thank you

Richard
From: Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support [mailto:vzwkanacswirelessdata@gl.verizonwireless.co m]
Sent: 09 December, 2008 10:51 AM
To: Richard
Subject: RE: Product or Service Feedback (WFM37717790)

Dear Richard ,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with your question regarding the 4.5 software upgrade for your Verizon Wireless BlackBerry 8830.

We apologize that we were not able to answer/respond to your email in the allotted time frame of 24 hours. We are experiencing higher than normal email volume at this time. However, resolving your concern is our number one priority and we are happy to address your concerns. We would like to assure you that we are committed to providing the very latest in products and services. For that reason, we rigorously test our products prior to launching them in an effort ensure they meet our standards of excellence. Doing so allows us to confidently address information regarding products or services that we currently offer. Disclosing any unconfirmed information that may be subject to change could raise expectations that may not be met. At this time, we are unable to state when the 4.5 software for BlackBerry 8830 will become available as no information has been given. We understand and sincerely apologize for any frustration and would like to encourage you to sign up for email updates so you can receive information regarding our new products and services.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "Sign up for email updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our wwwverizonwireless.com homepage.

We hope you find this information helpful. Other troubleshooting tips and helpful product information can be found at ww verizon wireless. com/data. It has been a pleasure assisting you today. We make it our personal goal to resolve all of your concerns. We sincerely hope that you feel we have done that today. Should you feel your current concerns are not fully resolved, please reply back to this email or call us at 1-800-922-0204 and we will happily address them for you. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Daphne
Verizon Wireless
Data Technical Support
Old 12-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #25
Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: IsSharpAndPointy
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMiami View Post
I have written to Verizon and gotten the following email, and made my response (which is at the top)
Please escalate this. This email does not answer my question, except to say that “At this time, we are unable to state when the 4.5 software for BlackBerry 8830 will become available as no information has been given.’

It is hard to believe that Verizon and/or RIM is rolling out a major operating system upgrade without a plan. Someone must know a schedule.

Thank you

Richard
From: Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support [mailto:vzwkanacswirelessdata@gl.verizonwireless.co m]
Sent: 09 December, 2008 10:51 AM
To: Richard
Subject: RE: Product or Service Feedback (WFM37717790)

Dear Richard ,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with your question regarding the 4.5 software upgrade for your Verizon Wireless BlackBerry 8830.

We apologize that we were not able to answer/respond to your email in the allotted time frame of 24 hours. We are experiencing higher than normal email volume at this time. However, resolving your concern is our number one priority and we are happy to address your concerns. We would like to assure you that we are committed to providing the very latest in products and services. For that reason, we rigorously test our products prior to launching them in an effort ensure they meet our standards of excellence. Doing so allows us to confidently address information regarding products or services that we currently offer. Disclosing any unconfirmed information that may be subject to change could raise expectations that may not be met. At this time, we are unable to state when the 4.5 software for BlackBerry 8830 will become available as no information has been given. We understand and sincerely apologize for any frustration and would like to encourage you to sign up for email updates so you can receive information regarding our new products and services.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "Sign up for email updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our wwwverizonwireless.com homepage.

We hope you find this information helpful. Other troubleshooting tips and helpful product information can be found at ww verizon wireless. com/data. It has been a pleasure assisting you today. We make it our personal goal to resolve all of your concerns. We sincerely hope that you feel we have done that today. Should you feel your current concerns are not fully resolved, please reply back to this email or call us at 1-800-922-0204 and we will happily address them for you. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Daphne
Verizon Wireless
Data Technical Support
Please keep us updated if you hear anything back.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #26
pavehawk774

Carrier: Alltel

Wirelessly posted

Great. Can't wait for verizon to f-up alltel with the merger then. Sounds like all you guys have is problems with verizon.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #27
rockbottom8
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 321D643B

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Great. Can't wait for verizon to f-up alltel with the merger then. Sounds like all you guys have is problems with verizon.
that's what happens when you are the best....they control everything!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #28
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
I would believe so but, here's the kicker. I have to start BBmaps first turn on GPS and then close it, then start google maps and immediately turn on GPS. It works perfect after that. I got 9 satellites 5 minutes ago.
Interesting.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #29
RichardMiami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triforce66 View Post
Please keep us updated if you hear anything back.

I will post their reply when I get it. Frustrating, but at least writing emails doesn't cost any postage!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #30
RichardMiami

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

This is not quite true. I have used Verizon for quite some time, globally. Their plans are ok for North America and terrible for EU, just like everyone else's. Their NA coverage is superb, and everyone else in my firm (we are big time road warriors - I commute regularly around the US, Canada and the UK) either uses them or will switch to them soon for that reason.

On the GPS thing they suck. The GPS is a bit of a frill, and while it would be better if they unlocked it, it does not make them a problem company. If the GPS was a requirement of mine, I might feel differently. As for now, it's just a pain in the posterior - competing with all the other pains in my posterior.. LOL
Old 12-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #31
Sniperet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Well my conclusion is that the GPS receiver is shaky at best. With 4.5.0.101 installed on my 8830 and loading BB Maps the phone would only pick up satelites intermittently and BB Maps is slow loading. I've since deleted BB Maps to save overhead since I have no use for something that won't work half the time I start it up.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #32
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperet View Post
Well my conclusion is that the GPS receiver is shaky at best. With 4.5.0.101 installed on my 8830 and loading BB Maps the phone would only pick up satelites intermittently and BB Maps is slow loading. I've since deleted BB Maps to save overhead since I have no use for something that won't work half the time I start it up.
It works well with .77

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #33
thholr

I tried reloading bb maps and still dont see a "My Location" . Am I missing something ?? running 4.5.0.77
Old 12-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #34
thholr

got it to work. had to change gps setting from 911 to my location
Old 12-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #35
george50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thholr View Post
I tried reloading bb maps and still dont see a "My Location" . Am I missing something ?? running 4.5.0.77
Some people have had problems also with My Location staying stuck on Locating Satellites, in that case then just hit cancel and then go to Start GPS Navigation, that will make it work after that.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #36
RichardMiami

Got my reply from VZ - looks like I am waiting for a phone call. This should be interesting!
-------------------------------------------
Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. Your inquiry about the availability of the 4.5 operating system for use with your Blackberry 8830 device was received by our technical support department on 12/09/2008. However, due to higher than normal volume we were unable to address it within the 24-48 hour time frame as promised. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience the delay may have caused.

In an effort to provide a timelier resolution/response to your inquiry, one of our Technical Support coordinators will be in touch with you by telephone. We assure you that we are working to ensure we are able to meet your online technical support needs in a timelier manner in the future.

Again, please accept our apology and we truly appreciate your understanding. We look forward to being able to service your online technical support needs, should they arrive. Please note, technical support self help is available on our website at www verizonwireless com/data.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Debra
Old 12-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #37
PHLwok

For what it's worth, RIM has not released a final 4.5 OS for the 8830, so Verizon's more or less at their mercy. I have a beta of it on my 8830 (4.5.0.101) and while it's nice, I don't think it's stable enough for prime time yet - it's almost there, but I have to reboot the device more than I should.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #38
kwampach

Model: 8330

I checked Verizon's website recently and the Curve's up to date OS is 4.5 and that was released on 10.31 from Verizon. Why are we still waiting for 4.5 for the 8830? How are these two devices that different that they can't get 4.5 to work on the 8830? I would like to be able to YouTube on my phone with 4.5, that is just sweet!!
Old 12-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #39
RichardMiami

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLwok View Post
For what it's worth, RIM has not released a final 4.5 OS for the 8830, so Verizon's more or less at their mercy. I have a beta of it on my 8830 (4.5.0.101) and while it's nice, I don't think it's stable enough for prime time yet - it's almost there, but I have to reboot the device more than I should.
I understand that perfectly. What I am asking VZ for is a plan.. a schedule.. an estimated delivery date. They have one for sure, but for whatever reason, they are not releasing it. If they say RIM hasn't given them a date for GA on 4.5 for the 8830, I will escalate to RIM.

I will update the thread after I get my (promised) phone call.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #40
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thholr View Post
When you searched, did you choose "Where I am" ?

LET'S GO CANES!
Closed Thread