BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
anne91081

Model: 8700C
Unhappy Blackberry and Cingular, I need some REAL info

Please Login to Remove!

OK so i got the 8700 c this week. It did not come with a browser.. I called Cingular and set up a data plan, but unfortunately they only gave me the cingular browser. I am now trying to dl some third party software, ie google maps, etc; and the programs say they do not recognize my network, or they have random errors. I am wondering is this another trick that cingular did to me to make it really hard to use anyone elses software. Does anyone else have this problem?? My friend seems to think that it is bc of blackberry's recent legal problems.

thanks

Anne
Old 02-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Hi Anne,

From what I understand the reason you are getting those errors is because Cingular does not allow for the 3rd Party Apps, without charging you a lot.

In order to use the other programs that use the internet seamlessly and worry free, your going to have to look into getting BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) It is something offered by third party companies (www.exchangemymail.com is an example)

Others who understand this more can give you more information than I can, but I do know it is because your data plan and the Cingular's APN is conflicting with allowing you to access the programs right. It is fixable, someone here can direct you in the right direction. They will have more experience then I do.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Think you have to register on the web client

Try that and then send the service books. You will find that on the web site, and then you should have the Internet Browser too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne91081
OK so i got the 8700 c this week. It did not come with a browser.. I called Cingular and set up a data plan, but unfortunately they only gave me the cingular browser. I am now trying to dl some third party software, ie google maps, etc; and the programs say they do not recognize my network, or they have random errors. I am wondering is this another trick that cingular did to me to make it really hard to use anyone elses software. Does anyone else have this problem?? My friend seems to think that it is bc of blackberry's recent legal problems.

thanks

Anne

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 02-13-2006 at 06:48 PM..
Old 02-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

There are several threads on this...........

What it comes down to is this. Many third party applications which rely on data are written so as they need access to the wap APN to work. Unfortunately Cingular does not allow or include access to their wap APN (wap.cingular) with their Blackberry plans. The only thing they include with their Blackberry plans is e-mail and internet.

Now a few third party applications which rely on data will work. Ones which were written to use the Blackberry.net APN.

You have two choices.

Call Cingular and ask them to add WIX Wireleess Internet Pay Per Use to your account. You'll then have access to the wap.cingular APN but you'll be paying for it per kb. It can get expensive. You'll then need to enter the APN information in the BB's TCP settings.

APN: wap.cingular
User Name: [email address]
Password: CINGULAR1

OR

Sign up with an Exchange hosting service like www.exchangemymail.com You then get access to the MDS proxy which allows your third party apps to access data through their servers.

P.S. You should have two browsers. A Cingular one and a Internet one. If you're missing the Internet one call Cingular data support (not customer service) and ask them to enable your access to it. Sometimes they forget to do it.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default As long as you're addressing this issue.....

I'm not quite sure if this is the way it works. My plan has a line for WIX pay-per-use but my TCP settings are blank. bb411 and Google Local both work. Do you HAVE to have the APN settings entered in TCP or is there perhaps a "surreptitious" way Cingular has of permitting "pay-per-use" data?

This Cingular stuff is getting curiouser and curiouser.

=NLK=
Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Tmobile includes free wap. wap.voicestream.com I also like there BIS and price better.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010
I'm not quite sure if this is the way it works. My plan has a line for WIX pay-per-use but my TCP settings are blank. bb411 and Google Local both work. Do you HAVE to have the APN settings entered in TCP or is there perhaps a "surreptitious" way Cingular has of permitting "pay-per-use" data?

This Cingular stuff is getting curiouser and curiouser.

=NLK=
I'm really not sure but I don't think so.

I beleive everyone says Google Local works without TCP settings because it uses the Blackberry APN. BB411 I don't know.

I used to have WIX on my account. All of my apps worked. I did have the stuff in my TCP settings. As soon as I removed the TCP settings (but kept WIX on my account) none of my third party applications worked. I use Verichat, BBWeather, BB411, GMail Mobile, BBSpell.

I called in and had them remove WIX. I removed the TCP settings and switched to MDS (using Exchange Hosting) and now everything works.

For a test why not download Verichat. See if it works for you without anything in TCP.........
Old 02-14-2006, 12:49 AM   #8
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Good idea. As I said, if I don't get charged as long as my TCP entries are blank I'll be satisfied. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:56 AM   #9
Crux

Model: 8700

I have a Cingular SIM and only the Cingular browser. There is no icon or blackberry browser.

I dont know if that is a good or bad thing, since I've only had the BB for a few days now.

When you are talking about being able to access google local, are you talking about http://local.google.com ? I am able to browser to there and search using the cingular browser
Old 02-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default That sounds like a great test

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
For a test why not download Verichat. See if it works for you without anything in TCP.........
I think that can help people understand what is up.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:59 AM   #11
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crux
I have a Cingular SIM and only the Cingular browser. There is no icon or blackberry browser.

I dont know if that is a good or bad thing, since I've only had the BB for a few days now.

When you are talking about being able to access google local, are you talking about http://local.google.com ? I am able to browser to there and search using the cingular browser
You're missing the Internet Browser.

No, we're talking about the Google Local application which you install on your BB.

http://www.google.com/glm/index.html...tm_campaign=gl
Old 02-14-2006, 01:20 AM   #12
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: I'm not supposed to play with sharp things.
Carrier: at&t

I only have the Cingular browser and BB browser. What's different about the Internet browser?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:44 AM   #13
lgreenberg

Suposedly the Cingular browser is for wap and the Internet browser is for HTML.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:18 AM   #14
MooseBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne91081

thanks

Anne
Anne,
from my experience, and I had this happen twice, it took like a day for all my icons to show up. You should sign in to the BB Internet Service and send yourself the service books and the internet books. If in a day the BB icon hasn't appeared, call data support and get some help. When dealing with cingular, be persistant. I had lost my BB browser icon, called data support, and got a tech with little knowledge who said the BB browser was only for BES customers. After he hung up, I called again and got a rep who knew his stuff and he got it back for me. The rep who didn't know about BB's, did talk to me for an hour anout everything other then BB's!
As for third party apps. Call cust service and make sure wap is listed on your plan. If the rep says it's not part of your plan, hang up, call again and get a rep who'll include it. You need wap.cingular for third party programs to work. You shouldn't be charged for it if you have unlimited data, I haven't been. But, be careful, because some members have. If you have WIX on your plan, you'll pay. Make sure that's not on your bill.
There you go, you're ready to enjoy your BB. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2006, 03:53 AM   #15
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I had 3 browsers for awhile, then just the Cingular one. I resent the Internet Service Book and the Blackerry Browser came back so now I have 2 - Cingular WAP and Blackberry.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 AM   #16
MooseBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
I had 3 browsers for awhile, then just the Cingular one. I resent the Internet Service Book and the Blackerry Browser came back so now I have 2 - Cingular WAP and Blackberry.
What was the third, enterprise server?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:34 AM   #17
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default 3 Browsers

Wap Browswer called mMode on 8700
Internet browswer - Cingular's full HTML browser
Blackberry Browser - for those on BES.

The latter two do pretty much the same the best I can tell, but having a BES gives you full Mobile Data Services, which allows third party apps to have internet access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Moose 566
Old 02-14-2006, 07:57 AM   #18
MooseBerry

I have the BES browser as well. Dubdub says he had three browsers "for a while". I was just curious what he meant.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 AM   #19
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Moose 566
I don't remember what it was. Not on BES so it shouldn't have been that. Didn't use it enough to remember it I guess!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #20
tmtracy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Default Works for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
There are several threads on this...........

What it comes down to is this. Many third party applications which rely on data are written so as they need access to the wap APN to work. Unfortunately Cingular does not allow or include access to their wap APN (wap.cingular) with their Blackberry plans. The only thing they include with their Blackberry plans is e-mail and internet.
I find this not to be the case. This is a cut and paste from my bill

Quote:
BlackberryConnectUNL 02/02-03/01 44.99

Includes:
Blackberry
GPRS
INTERNET XPRESS
Not to mention...I use tond of apps and internet...Last month I used 43,485KB of internet. If that was at the .03 per Kb, that would have been $1304.55. I used wap.cingular and teathered to my laptop plenty. Not any extra charged. It also includes unlimited text messaging too.
Closed Thread