BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #41
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

I've gotten a few comments on this, too, since I got my 8700c, particularly while driving with both windows down in my car. I suspect this will be better once I get my a/c fixed and won't be forced to drive with the windows down when it's warm. Heh.
But, I, too, have also gotten complaints regarding background noise even with a couple different BT headsets. I am, however, in the market for a new headset -- my H500 took a coffee bath a couple weeks ago...how was I supposed to know that my headset would be the innocent victim of a leaky Starbucks cup when I put the coffee in my car cupholder? But, I digress.

I have yet to find a handset during the past two years on two different networks (former Sprint user) that really handled very noisy environments well and I've used about two dozen different types of devices.

Then again, I also don't live in NYC. ;)

Last edited by quillhill; 06-27-2006 at 02:05 PM..
Old 06-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #42
Chinasaur

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

My two e61's arrive tomorrow. One for me, one for the GF.

We had 7290's and I moved to an 8700g last week. The 8700g is an unmitigated POS. And, it seems she can't hear me talk with a -80db signal in a quiet room.

Our BB's are going to friends we've warned about the phone part but who want BB's.

The whole BB SW thing has been so limiting it's a wonder we stayed with them for the 3 months we did.

Luck for you.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:21 AM   #43
ksellers914
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I'm new to Bb's and not too sure about the upgrades that some speak of for these devices. Is it possible for RIM to release an upgrade that would, or could solve the audio problem. Basically, is it possibly for an upgrade to change something like that in the device OTA?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #44
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I get all kinds of complaints about my 8700c. I was riding in the car on a business trip in a minivan in the middle row of seats going about 80 mph with all the windows up and people would say "where the hell are you calling from"??

In another example, if someone is talking nearby while I am on the phone it seems to pick up their conversation as background noise more clearly than my voice!!!

Lately, the clarity seems to be getting worse in hearing the other party. Kind of choppy, cutting in and out. I do use a bluetooth headset on occasion and the built in bluetooth in my car but I really wish RIM would focus on voice quality in their next devices. My device is equally important for the phone and e-mail and I just hate the thought of carrying two devices.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:30 PM   #45
atoddward

Model: 8800
Carrier: TMO
Default Cingular 8700

My partner and I returned our 8700c's to Cingular this past weekend (within the 30 day window of course!) After several updates, new SIM cards and a replacement phone we threw in the towl. The call quality was just horrible!I'm not so sure it was the phones though, I think it is just Cingular.

We bought two new 8700g's from TMO right before we turned in the c's and they have been outstanding! The phones themselves seem to be more substantial -- no loose battery cover, keyboard is more firm -- and the call quality has been flawless. We paid more upfront for the phones, but the plan is cheaper and really can't put a pricetag on call quality!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #46
eliot1785

Model: 8700g
Default me too on TMO

I have been having the same problem with my 8700g from T-Mobile. I got it about a week ago and have been extremely impressed with all other aspects of the phone, but the voice quality is absolutely horrible. Unlike some others, I actually think it is WORSE than my old 7290, and am actually considering reverting back to the 7290 because of it.

Yeah, I could only hear the 7290 if it was turned all the way up, and sometimes I had to leave noisy environments. But as long as I could hear, things came through fine, and the other person could usually hear what I was saying loud and clear. I'm sorry to say I can't say that for the 8700g, and making excuses about how it is a PDA doesn't cut it for me considering that both the 7230 and 7290 didn't have this problem.

With the 8700g, everything comes in muffled to the other party (perhaps because of excessive sensitivity of the mouthpiece) and they sometimes have difficulty hearing what I am saying. Even when they don't, it isn't pleasant for them. Meanwhile, for me, while the speaker is a lot louder than previous phones, the voice quality of the other person is also frequently low quality, so I have to concentrate harder on what they are saying and sometimes ask them to repeat themselves. Also, the other person's voice will sometime come in crackled as if we have a bad connection - even if we both have full bars. This happened to me earlier today when I was talking to my girlfriend, and I had to keep asking her to repeat things. Sorry RIM, but if I can't talk to my girlfriend, I can't use your phone.

First I am going to take the phone back for a replacement to see if I just got a bad version, and if that is not the case, I may well just return it for good, go back to the 7290, and wait for RIM to release a BlackBerry with a phone that doesn't suck. Maybe I'll get lucky and that will happen sooner than later.

Regarding the suggestions about getting a second phone or using a bluetooth headset - I refuse to juggle devices, and one of the appeals of the Blackberry to me is being able to do everything on a single device. Carrying a stupid Bluetooth headset or another phone entirely is the exact opposite of mobility. Also, the original poster is very correct in saying that Bluetooth headsets are not the way to go considering that most people make short 1-2 minute phonecalls and can't be bothered to put on or carry around a headset for that.

Blackberries have thrived because they have done only a few things and done them well. Those things include email and internet browsing, but phone is every bit as basic of a function as email and internet. If RIM can't get the phone right, then the model of doing a few things and doing it well cannot work.

This is such a shame, because the speed and display quality of the phone are unbelievable, and this is the first Blackberry that I can actually tether at workable speeds on the go.

Last edited by eliot1785; 08-06-2006 at 09:34 PM..
Old 08-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #47
carpaltunel

Model: 8700

Good thread.

I just picked a 8700c off ebay. Going to unlock and use with tmob. I'm a little concerned now.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #48
eliot1785

Cool... let us know how it turns out.

I'll let you all know what happens after I get a replacement for the phone tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #49
donovan1983

PIN: 204CE92F

I haven't had any issues with voice quality on my 8700g with the stock T-Mobile firmware. Both on the handset itself and on a couple of different bluetooth headsets call quality has been quite good. In really noisy environments, like on a transit bus, there have been times the people I was talking to couldn't hear me, but then again I was trying not to yell and that experience is hardly unique to my BlackBerry, having happened with numerous phones and networks.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 AM   #50
tankee531

Model: 9800
PIN: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

When using the 8700 as a phone, be wary of the position of the mic on the 8700.

It is at the bottom left corner of the device. Don't hold it as you would hold a normal phone.

Voice quality will improve. As least it works in my case.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:01 AM   #51
TravisM

yeah I was unimpressed with the voice quality to with the 8700g but all in all its ok to use, Im still debating about purchasing the nokia e61 :P yes going to the dark side. lol
Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 AM   #52
nremondelli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7800g

Why don't you just move to the country?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #53
shawnfb

Model: 8700c

a bluetooth headset would be great if the 8700 would keep it conneceted, they notoriously drop ther BT headset 10 seconds or so into the call
Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #54
Spicoli

Default Shade Tree mecanic possible fix...

I just upgraded our top 40 executives from 7290's to 8700g's. We have a total of 55 8700g users, and only a few have reported any issues with the volume of the microphone. I stuffed some cotton (marked it black with a Sharpie) and stuffed it behind the microphone hole. No further issues were reported. Problem solved. Still, RIM needs to address this issue. I couldn't imagine taking 55 phones apart to stuff some cotton in them. What a pain! Also, I read earlier in this thread that they experienced the same problem with 7290's - we have over 450 7290's deployed and I've never heard of a problem or experienced it myself. Maybe we just get good batches of phones, with the exception of the few 8700g's I had to modify...
Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #55
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Alas. This is why I have the 8700C in my briefcase and it is used strictly for emails, and my RAZR V3i is in my shirt pocket, and it is strictly used for voice.