BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
badllama

Model: 8800
Carrier: T Mobile
Default HELP, the phone won't ring when in my pocket

Please Login to Remove!

I was just trying something out and seems as when I call myself from the house phone and walk at the same time the phone does not wring. it seems as the movement in pocket is moving the trackball and not wringing, this is with the key-lock on. Has anyone else experienced this? is there a way to turn of the track ball when a call is incoming to prevent this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Tarek
Old 09-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-Mobile

Edit, see below.

Last edited by findmywife; 09-12-2006 at 08:18 PM..
Old 09-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wow I just tested it and you're right. If it detects any movement on the trackball, it doesn't ring. Even if you bump it slightly it cancels the ringing sound immediately. Even with keypad lock turned on!!

So if it's in your bag or something then it will almost certainly get rolled around constantly and cancel all your calls.

Wow, this may be a deal breaker for me. I need to get my calls.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
badllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by findmywife
Why would the phone not ring if it detected the trackball moving?
In My phone if I have a call incomming and I move the trackball it stopps wringing...... it gives me the anser or ignore option and just stops wringing.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
mws222
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Why would the phone not ring if it detected the trackball moving?
Trackball movement mutes the ringer just like moving the scroll wheel would. I just tried to get it to not ring walking around my apartment calling from my old cingular phone and it rang every time...

Although I guess I really need to wait till my number ports over and this thing actually starts ringing under normal conditions rather than me trying to get it not to ring
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by badllama
In My phone if I have a call incomming and I move the trackball it stopps wringing...... it gives me the anser or ignore option and just stops wringing.
See above, just tested it. The trackball is way too sensitive for this "functionality".
Old 09-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: New ATT because of iPhone

Quote:
Edit, see below.
The scrollwheel used to stop the phone from ringing.

There is an option in Phone that says "Ringtone Lighting", I have no idea what that is. The options available are [off, Trackball]. You can try to play with that.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafirm

There is an option in Phone that says "Ringtone Lighting", I have no idea what that is. The options available are [off, Trackball]. You can try to play with that.
I'll test it right now.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
See above, just tested it. The trackball is way too sensitive for this "functionality".

I wonder if using a sleeper magnet case, leather slip, or holster will prevent this.

RIM REALLY dropped the ball in terms of accessories. TO not release a sleeper case/holster on the lauch day is a total farce.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafirm

I can't find this option. I searched high and low. Under the settings for my profiles (like under Normal -> Phone). And I also went through every single option under "Options". Can't find a "Ringtone Lighting" option.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #11
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

I looked in the help, it's supposed to be under Screen/Keyboard, but it's not there.

All it does is light up your trackball when you get a call, or not. It's nothing.

Huge huge problem. I think I will be taking this back tomorrow. I can't keep my phone immobile 24/7 just so I can get calls.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
mws222
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I can't find this option. I searched high and low. Under the settings for my profiles (like under Normal -> Phone). And I also went through every single option under "Options". Can't find a "Ringtone Lighting" option.
hit send to get to your call log then menu->options

all it does it make the trackball flash a few different colors
Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #13
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Either way this is a huge problem! You can't help your phone in your pocket, the moment the trackball moves, it stops ringing/vibrating. And the trackball rolls around allllllllll the time.

This is a critical critical flaw.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
El Blackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Holy cow! I thought I was alone in this. I went out for a few beers with some friends tonight and I had the 8100 in my pocket locked, I missed 2 phonecalls, I only knew I missed them because the red led was flashing with a message. This is an incredible flaw that could potentially make me take the phone back, I'm with findmywife, I need to get my phonecalls. Ughh.....
Old 09-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #15
sanjeevjoshi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular
Default Well, try putting BB in standby before putting into your pocket

I cannot recreate the problem some of you are facing - i have been jumping up and down with the BB in my pocket with keypad lock, and it still seems to ring fine. I also tried putting the BB into standby mode by pushing the mute button for 2 seconds, and did the same thing.

Only way I could recreate the problem was to physically scroll the trackball continously by hand while the call was incoming...

Perhaps some trackballs are more sensitive than others - my settings are 70 each for horizontal and vertical sensitivity...

Old 09-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #16
badllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blackberry
Holy cow! I thought I was alone in this. I went out for a few beers with some friends tonight and I had the 8100 in my pocket locked, I missed 2 phonecalls, I only knew I missed them because the red led was flashing with a message. This is an incredible flaw that could potentially make me take the phone back, I'm with findmywife, I need to get my phonecalls. Ughh.....
That was my fear, I cannot miss calls......

I lowered the sensitivity to 50% to see if it helps, Ill give it a try for a few days and see how it goes....
Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #17
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

I will try a couple of tests, first at 70% (default) and second at 50%. Report back with results in a moment.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #18
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok results of comprehensive testing.

At 70% sensitivity on both, you could roll the wheel very gently and still hear the ring. Move it a little more and it stops the ring.

At 50% you can move it more "roughly" and the ring will still play.

At 20% you can roll it quite a bit before accidently "cancelling" the call.

Turning it into sleep mode or standby mode seems to have no effect. Once you get a call your phone comes out of standby and thus the trackball is active.

All tests were conducted with keylock on.

I will probably run mine at 70% for a day or so, if I miss calls set it to 50%, if I keep missing calls, back to the store it goes.

Or I will call RIM and demand new firmware :D
Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #19
mws222
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevjoshi

Perhaps some trackballs are more sensitive than others - my settings are 70 each for horizontal and vertical sensitivity...

I gave it a try again too with the same results
Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #20
inheritedhornet
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 204B57FC
Carrier: Tmobile

you guys aren't using the case?
Closed Thread