JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisot View Post
That is my bad then, I'm pretty sure that the 8800 does, maybe that is what I am thinking of...
Pretty sure not. If so, show me where it is on one. Like my 8800.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #42
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the 8800 does
It doesn't.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #43
parisot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Pretty sure not. If so, show me where it is on one. Like my 8800.
I remember when the 8800 was first being released, I saw on several different spec sheets that the 8800 has WIFI capabilities, they just have not been enabled. Maybe I just seen bad info..
Old 06-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #44
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

There is no wifi on any device presently released at this time. The hardware is not even on the device.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #45
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebz View Post
Ha ha, except that at&t can't turn on their hardware because of FCC regulations.

Verizon on the other hand... $$$$$$$$$
This maybe a little off topic, but my wife has Onstar and cant use it after the end of this year because its the old technology "Not Digital" is what OnStar says which is also contributing to there customer base dropping.

Regarding who's king in what area and market , in Albany NY its either VZW or AT&T, T-Mobile does good sales and Sprint/Nextel is ok.

Regarding the GPS function being turned off on the 8830, this is confusing if it was turned off than how could bbmaps and google maps work? Or is the GPS not needed for those applications?

Also if your going to pay for something and than find out that all the bells and whistles are there but not enabled and being controlled buy the carrier, wouldnt that put VZW in the same boat as Microsoft ? Controlling everything, yes you have your choice to another OS / Carrier, BUT where does it end? At least with GSM phones you can hack, crack, modify or whatever you want to call it in order to enble things and I know you can to a limit on VZW/CDMA phones with seem edits and such , but why should you have to go through all of this.

In the end you can say what ever you want about which BB and what carrier but if your happy with VZW stay with them if not go elsewhere, AT&T is very good , just that you have to deal with poor customer service and mailing in your phone for repairs or swap out if need be. Where VZW you walkin and they take care of it right away.

Sorry about getting long winded.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:14 AM   #46
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post
Regarding the GPS function being turned off on the 8830, this is confusing if it was turned off than how could bbmaps and google maps work? Or is the GPS not needed for those applications?
GPS isn't needed for those applications. You can use them without it.
GPS merely adds "real-time" turn-by-turn driving directions and navigation assistance.

Quote:
Also if your going to pay for something and than find out that all the bells and whistles are there but not enabled and being controlled buy the carrier, wouldnt that put VZW in the same boat as Microsoft ?
I don't really see the Microsoft parallel.
Also, what your describing is not necessarily the case (at least within the confines of what I've read in this forum). No one is paying for anything with the expectations that the GPS function is enabled. It's not like Verizon is telling people it's turned on, and then they discover it's not after they buy. Verizon is clear from the get-go that the internal GPS is disabled.
If buyers fail to understand that... then it's their shortcoming.

A handful of users in this forum bought the 8830 with the knowledge that the GPS was disabled. Those users are now petitioning VZW to turn it on because they disagree with VZWs decision to have it initially turned off.

Quote:
In the end you can say what ever you want about which BB and what carrier but if your happy with VZW stay with them if not go elsewhere,
Exactly.

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-29-2007 at 06:16 AM..
Old 06-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #47
packetknife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830

Stuck around an airport with a rain storm so I'll respond for no particular reason....

I'm not sure RIM could even send anything non-BIS related to you if they wanted to. Unless they were managing the BES services for somebody (which I'm sure they do somewhere) but no carrier I know of does BES too.

If something like this happened to me I'd be worried some back-end ticketing system triggered somebody to try to add you to a development BES or something internal to RIM or the carrier's own services.

So far my Tsupport experience with pushing, pulling, friends, etc. is that those with VZW insiders can get the GPS issue taken care of but RIM can't do it themselves for you.

And I get mixed messages in terms of the chipset used for GPS and if it ~requires~ assistance (which would have a strong VZW dependancy) or if it doesn't and could possible be hacked into functioning.

In terms of carrier VZW works for me where one of my former carriers didn't (Cingular/AT&T), when one carrier repeatedly overbilled me (T-Mobile), and one carrier dropped support over time (Nextel). And VZW EVDO certainly has speed for my tethering needs. To each their own.... I see no reason people should make decisions based on the criterea or 'rights' of others. While I agree VZW can be somewhat draconian I knew what I was getting into it. And ultimately they had the best discount for me too.

With that said.... I'd like GPS to work sooner rather than later because my Garmin needs to stay in the truck.

-Pk
Old 06-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #48
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

When I go to Blackberry Maps and under options, it reads GPS Source: None.

Shall I assume it is not working?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #49
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
That is my bad then, I'm pretty sure that the 8800 does, maybe that is what I am thinking of...
The 8820 has WiFi and GPS capabilities, but it may never see a launch. The 8830 only has GPS but they're disabled by VZW. The 8800 has GPS only.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #50
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

all this talk about 3G's and EVDO is really a small part of the big picture.. yes its faster then EDGE but not by much. i tested the 3G service on the blackjack and although it was faster it still didn't blow me away... i guess im saying what really bothers me about Verizon is the 5GB limit on the "Unlimited Data" service plus their ability to cripple features so they can charge more for their own service gets me... also being a past Verizon cutomer i think their rates have just increased over the years and the additional taxes fees they claim are b/c of Govt regulations is a bunch of BS when other carriers dont...

Last edited by jetspeedz; 07-03-2007 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: 5GB not MB .. typo
Old 07-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #51
tomtheguitarguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
all this talk about 3G's and EVDO is really a small part of the big picture.. yes its faster then EDGE but not by much. i tested the 3G service on the blackjack and although it was faster it still didn't blow me away... i guess im saying what really bothers me about Verizon is the 5MB limit on the "Unlimited Data" service plus their ability to cripple features so they can charge more for their own service gets me... also being a past Verizon cutomer i think their rates have just increased over the years and the additional taxes fees they claim are b/c of Govt regulations is a bunch of BS when other carriers dont...
Is it 5MB or 5GB.

I was under the impression it was the latter.

tomtheguitarguy
Old 07-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #52
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?

well considering they sell at 20MB plan.....its gotta be 5GB
Old 07-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #53
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

sorry Typo 5GB not MB... fixed...
Old 07-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #54
saldous

Quick question, if I flashed my Verizon 8830 with another providers OS / firmware or whatever you call it, would that enable the GPS on my device?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #55
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldous View Post
Quick question, if I flashed my Verizon 8830 with another providers OS / firmware or whatever you call it, would that enable the GPS on my device?
nope, its not a software issue
Old 07-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #56
saldous

Damn
Old 07-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #57
neongirl

re the virtues (if any) of verizon...am in NYC, and was always kinda down on verizon, despite their superior coverage...then after 9/11, when a good # of their employees AND a major switching station were crushed by the falling buildings, and they nevertheless managed to get all the landline service back up within 36 hours, with politeness & good cheer, I was impressed. & now feel inclined to give them a pass on crimes that are no worse than those of other providers.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #58
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Yeah, I can see your point.
I mean, why would anyone want to suffer with EVDO when you can enjoy the dial-up speeds of EDGE.

:-/
LMAO!! Nice
Closed Thread