BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
MedEdGuy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t
Question Missing Browser? (Tried the usual solutions!)

Please Login to Remove!

I just migrated from an 8700 to an 8100.

On the 8700, I had 3 browsers: MediaNet for Cingular WAP, Internet Browser (connects using standard data), and the Blackberry Browser (connects over our BES server/MDS).

On my 8100, I only have 2 browsers: MediaNet and Browser (seems to be the MDS/BES one). Two questions: 1) Should I have the regular Internet browser that bypasses our BES? and 2) When I try connecting to MediaNet I get the message "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later."

Any thoughts? I've successfully activated on my BES and email is working fine. I can access the internet using the "Browser" via BES/MDS. The MediaNet browser works just fine if I move my SIM to my 8700. I've resent the service books via BIS, and also re-registered several times. Have also done a hard reset, and wiped the device and reprovisioned.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Benmarvin

Model: Curve
PIN: 2404FFB2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Is the regular brower a hidden icon?
Is there a BES setting preventing it?
What's your default browser set to in Options?
Just a few thoughts.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Starting with OS 4.2 the Blackberry Browser, Internet browser, and WAP browser have been combined into a single icon. If your connected to BES the handheld will automatically try to use the BlackBerry Browser by default. The WAP browser is used as needed based on the address.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-23-2006, 01:14 AM   #4
nandco

Model: 8100

i have .64 and have no brower icon what so ever
Old 12-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandco
i have .64 and have no brower icon what so ever
Do you have a BB data plan? You have to have a data plan in order to have a browser. If so, go to Options, Advanced Options, Host routing table, click menu and click "Register Now." If it still doesn't appear and you think you should have it then call your provider.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
JDigital

Model: Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Do you have a BB data plan? You have to have a data plan in order to have a browser. If so, go to Options, Advanced Options, Host routing table, click menu and click "Register Now." If it still doesn't appear and you think you should have it then call your provider.

Will a browser icon appear when my Data plan activates? The sales rep told me it was to be activated Dec 24th (tomorrow).. Will my browser Icon appear? I have sent the "Register Now" msg just right now.. Hopefully it works out tomorrow.....
Old 12-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You should probably get a text message from your carrier announcing that your data plan is now active. If not you might want to log into BIS and resend your service books.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital
Will a browser icon appear when my Data plan activates? The sales rep told me it was to be activated Dec 24th (tomorrow).. Will my browser Icon appear? I have sent the "Register Now" msg just right now.. Hopefully it works out tomorrow.....
Yes, it should appear. If it doesn't try the "register now" thing again once your data plan is activated. It should show up. If not, log into your BIS and send the service books as the previous poster advised or just call your carrier.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
dgray8
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Lightbulb agreed

I agree w/ the rest. The browser icon will show up once your data plan is active, because then you will receive the "service books" to your blackberry which will include the one for your blackberry browser. If it doesn't work after that point tell us.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #10
jmquinn72

OK, so I sent the Register Now message, but nothing has happened for 5-10 minutes. I already had my internet active before... I just lost it when I upgraded to the latest version of the handheld software from the T-mobile site.

"If not, log into your BIS and send the service books as the previous poster advised or just call your carrier." How do I log into my BIS?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #11
jmquinn72

Ah yes, the ol' take the battery out three times and it eventually works routine. Problem solved.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:27 AM   #12
blackberry_jack

Carrier: Rogers

I have the Pearl 8100 from Rogers, on BES. My menu/apps screen shows two "Browser" icons: one just "Browser", the other "WAP Browser (Rogers)".

However, when I was making and editing bookmarks, I noticed something funny: when editing a bookmark, I can scroll down to an option about which browser to use. It lets me toggle between three options: "BlackBerry Browser", "WAP Browser" and "Internet Browser". I tried changing one bookmark to "Internet Browser" and it works fine - in fact, I think it works better than on the BB Browser.

But all this is a bit confusing. Does anyone know if I actually have three browsers? Is it just that the BB Browser and Internet Browser are under the one app icon?

More importantly, what are the differences? What are your preferences? Which is faster? Which makes navigating easier? I saw some references to Opera Mini Browser here - is it better? All observations welcome!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:43 AM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry_jack
I have the Pearl 8100 from Rogers, on BES. My menu/apps screen shows two "Browser" icons: one just "Browser", the other "WAP Browser (Rogers)".

However, when I was making and editing bookmarks, I noticed something funny: when editing a bookmark, I can scroll down to an option about which browser to use. It lets me toggle between three options: "BlackBerry Browser", "WAP Browser" and "Internet Browser". I tried changing one bookmark to "Internet Browser" and it works fine - in fact, I think it works better than on the BB Browser.

But all this is a bit confusing. Does anyone know if I actually have three browsers? Is it just that the BB Browser and Internet Browser are under the one app icon?

More importantly, what are the differences? What are your preferences? Which is faster? Which makes navigating easier? I saw some references to Opera Mini Browser here - is it better? All observations welcome!
Welcome to the forums!

You are correct. There are two internet browsers and 1 Wap Browser/Tzones, etc. just buried under one icon. You can select which one to use with a given shortcut as well.

Blackberry Browser is the browser that goes through your company, usually through MDS (Mobile Data Service) setup on the BES.

Internet Browser is basically through your carrier's internet access.

I've found that the BB generally knows which one to use if you don't specify and it works fairly well. I found with my old 7100t that if one browser didn't work to just use the other one.

Last edited by John Clark; 12-30-2006 at 03:45 AM..
Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #14
Roy2

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers

Well i have two users who continually lose their browsers on the 8700r (Rogers). yes the solution of wipe handheld and reload works but in a day or a week or whatever it disappears again? Can it be the device. Why does it work after relaod and then not. I also have 100+ 8700r users and its happening only to a few of the people?

Roy
Old 01-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
bcaslis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I'm currently trying the Pearl on Cingular. I had two icons (MediaNet browser and Internet browser), but when the data plan was activated one disappeared (I actually saw it happen). This contradicted the manual with the device, so I called Cingular support and after some fiddling on their end the second icon came back.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #16
Roy2

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers

posting this in case it helps someone in the future.

Model 8700r (Rogers) in canada. Browser kept disappearing. this solution worked.This solution must be applied in this sequence.

On the blackberry device:
Options
- Security Options
- General Settings
- Content Protection: and Content Compression: change the settings to the opposite of what they are.

That is highlight content protection enabled or Disabled and click the trackwheel and select change option Change it to the opposite of what it is and do the same for Content Compression.

- Click trackwheel and select SAVE .. enter your password when prompted.

REBOOT THE Blackberry by REMOVING THE BATTERY at this time then:

- Go under options
- Advanced Options
- select Host Routing Table and click trackwheel
- highlight first entry and click trackwheel
- select Register Now

Go back to main screen. It can take 5-10 minutes but the browser icons will return. Test by linking to an internet site.

Hope it helps someone

Roy
Old 01-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

If you have tried registering it before and they arent showing up you need to contact yoru carrier and ask them to resend you the appropriate service books. I have seen this on a bunch of blackberries in the past.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #18
disturbd1

Model: 8100c
PIN: N/A

ok.....i've read LOTS and LOTS of posts online regarding the Pearl's having browser/mms issues. I have received 2 replacements(making this my 3rd Pearl unit). After talking to AT&T multiple times, they seem to know nothing about it. then i went back the store i bought the phone at (Activate Cellular), and the guy i talked to suggested the re-load of the software. he did NOT mention that i might need both service pack 1 and service pack 2 in order to solve my problem. btw....i have the red Pearl, and since day 1 it was missing the browser icons, as well as any form of MMS capabilities. I have downloaded the new OS, but without the service packs, and after work i will try to reload it YET AGAIN with the service packs this time. I've tried the Host Routing Table approach, I've tried removing the battery, i've made sure all my icons are showing. nothing has worked thus far. i have seen many people who had similar issues get them solved after upgrading/patching the OS on the unit itself, so in that regard i am hopeful. HOWEVER, contrary to what EVERY post has said......AT&T states that it is NOT a requirement to have the data plan in order to still have MMS/Media Net capabilities....I.E.: i have the unlimited texting plan(which includes ANY kind of text/mms), and it works beautifully on my W810I, and i have asked specifically when talking to a CSR whether or not the data plan is required, and they have said that it is not. So, i am open to any suggestions that anyone has to solve this issue. in the end.....it's still a cell phone, and thru SOME means it should be able to be told where/how to send/receive an MMS, and if a piece of software is missing, then the update/patch should solve this issue entirely(in theory).
Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #19
smook

Model: 8700r
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers, Toronto Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Just a thank you. It worked for me. I tried the 4.2 OS on my 8700r and didn't like the speeds and downgraded back down to 4.1 OS and lost my browser. After re-registering, my browsers re-appeared.

Thanks again.
Bill.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smook View Post
Just a thank you. It worked for me. I tried the 4.2 OS on my 8700r and didn't like the speeds and downgraded back down to 4.1 OS and lost my browser. After re-registering, my browsers re-appeared.

Thanks again.
Bill.
Glad it worked for you!
Closed Thread