Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
sj0305

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Default desktop manager update

Please Login to Remove!

I recently updated the desktop manager for the BB (8330) from an update prompt on my PC. The update appears to have gone well and ask for a restart to complete. Did this and now there is a smaller window inside the dm widow which asks for me to "choose profile". There is one profile highlighted (BVRP-SettingsPST) along with several others suggested in the the drop down list (AvastPst11478, AvastPst15724, AvastPst19169 and/or AvastPst26500). There is also an option to create a "new profile" What should be done at this point? What is the profile for? The dm will not completely load until a "profile" of some sort is selected/created. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I'm just guessing.... Have you been syncing multiple blackberrys with differently Outlook profiles with the same windows login?

As I say, I'm just guessing. I haven't seen it myself. Did a quick search of the forums and nothing jumped out at me.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Take a look at https://support.t-mobile.com/doc/tm5...revPageIndex=2

I see in this example what you are talking about, and now trying to read it to understand what leads to getting that prompt.

Did you select BES when you installed desktop manager?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
sj0305

No-(and I searched also with no real results) but you answer part of the question I have. The update is for email management and the "profile" at dm is associated with the profile on outlook?? So, I go to control panel on the PC and then click the mail icon, then profiles and viola; same profiles are there. Which is greek to me. I don't understand the profiles.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
sj0305

I don't recall selecting "BES". Although, it has been some time since my initial install (over a year). And there was no option like that in this update. Thanks for your continuing to assist.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
sj0305

I don't have a BES account so, I probably didn't initially choose that option.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Here's another, http://spike.wharton.upenn.edu/suppo...blackberry.cfm, which mentions choosing profiles.

I think you are seeing the prompt because Outlook has the multiple profies setup (however you did it in first place).

I guess I never saw it because I only have one Outlook profile in my windows log in, and other users always log in with a different windows profile.

I guess you have two choices. Figure out which profile is the one you have been using, and choose that, or create a new profile and figure out how to get your existing data into the new profile. Maybe somebody has a better idea.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
sj0305

OK, after setting out into the unknown, I chose the profile which appeared to be highlighted as default (it could have been a random selection for all I know; anywhose...). I was then prompted that if I didn't have BES service, then I could'nt use the suggested, selected profiles. So, then the dm continued to open. I now understand the update is centered on email management/distribution of email. I may be able to learn something more about it through trial and error, in the future. Thanks for the assistance and of course if anyone has anything to continue to advise, I will continue to appreciate the assistance this forum offers. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

I'm betting you want to create a new profile and set it to be Outlook. That is, the profile is Outlook.

I also suspect you selected BES and not personal email when you installed desktop manager, or maybe you did it once by mistake and corrected the error. I guess if you were still running it installed with the BES option selected you would have had other issues and known something wasn't right.

Anyway, post an update when you get it all figured out.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

FYI.... I just got the prompt to update. And I got what you got. The only profile showing for me was Outlook, I selected it, etc. I now have "profile options" in "options" and I can select always use the Outlook profile, or prompt for profile.

I won't swear I never saw the "choose profile" step in the installation before. I could have been on autopilot, just clicking through. But I definitely didn't have the "profile options" menu item before. I looked when we were working on this the other day, and it wasn't there.

Also, interesting, the update shows as v. 5.0.1, which is what I have, so this update is an update to 5.0.1. I wonder about the posts where people are saying they get an update prompt but they already updated.

And I notice DM now shows device connected and active device, instead of just device connected as before. This was definitely an update and not a resinstallation.

Last edited by aiharkness; 11-26-2009 at 06:31 PM..
Closed Thread