BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
squireliers
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: 22EEBB7B
Carrier: att
Default Has anybody ever used tetherberry???

Please Login to Remove!

i was thinking about getting the tetherberry program i just wanted to get so info on it, so has anybody ever used the tetherberry program and if so what do you think about it? Is it worth it or no?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Seahawk007

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile

Who do you use for a service provider? I believe you can install their version of "Connection Manager". Once installed, you may be able to plug your bberry in via USB and use that Connection Manager to detect your internet and then tether off of it. Just keep in mind, that you may be charged extra for service.

I accidently figured this out when supporting a verizon aircard issue. The verizon connection manager software was installed and I was connecting to the internet via the blackberry.

Let me knwo how this works out for you.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
squireliers

i am an at&t customer and i have heard of the extra charges but im pretty sure it only applys when you go over a certain MB but i will post after i check it out
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
squireliers

Talking

so here is the story i looked again on the tetherberry website and seen that there is a free trial button so i gave it a whirl and after a few minutes of downloading to the laptop and to the bb i disconnect my internet at the house and plug the bb in and start the tetherberry program and a nice blessing from the phone and internet gods i have internet and it works beautifully not super fast but workable not sure what its feed as but like i said works nice and thats with less then perfect signal on the phone. well thats my update how it could be of some help.

andrew
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
bogman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

It seems like a good application, but $49 is an outrageous cost?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
stapes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telus

it is expensive but i believe it enables you to tether through your data and therefore your not charged the extra tethering fee from your carrier. So if u have unlimited data or a decent amount of data your set
Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
mat68046

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

See this link: wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/phones-as-modems.jsp
...since you're AT&T.
Software is free and should accomplish the goal. I'm downloading it now so I'll have to report back. I haven't checked to see if the Curve is a supported device although I can't see why not. Stay tuned.

Nice idea, Seahawk007!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
spthomas01

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

The advantage of Tetherberry is that it works on your data plan. You don't need a separate Phone-as-Modem or tethering option, which usually costs a few more $$$ and has limits. Tetherberry looks to the carrier like you're just webbrowsing or using an application, they can't detect you're using the phone tethered. I'm a Sprint user, and they cut off tethering altogether, don't even offer it on any of their plans now unless you're grandfathered on an old (over 2 years or so) plan. So for us Tetherberry is the only option.

I've used it for a month or so. A bit slow, but works well.

Steve
Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Neboite

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Tetherberry sale...

I was told that periodically tetherberry goes on sale for like $25 Im still keeping my fingers crossed hoping to catch it when they do.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat68046 View Post
See this link: wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/phones-as-modems.jsp
...since you're AT&T.
Software is free and should accomplish the goal. I'm downloading it now so I'll have to report back. I haven't checked to see if the Curve is a supported device although I can't see why not. Stay tuned.

Nice idea, Seahawk007!
With an AT&T BIS $30 plan, will this work, or is this considered "tethering" and require the $60/month plan.

The software may be somewhat expensive, but nothing compared to a monthly fee
Old 11-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #11
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Moved to Aftermarket Software.

I suggest you use the forum search. There are other threads about it in this section.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
jimfraser

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

I was wondering why there was a market for Tetherberry and why it received a best app award recently. However I am on Rogers and have never had any problems tethering on my data plan by following the "how to" instructions in this forum about using your blackberry as a modem. Simpler yet is the push button tethering function in desktop manager 5.0 which I installed last week on my laptop.
I have a weekend place north of where I live, with no cable or DSL available, only dial up at 26. Deathly slow!! Rogers recently upgraded its near by tower to 3g (after Bell, who started their HSPA+ network years after Rogers) so am looking to get high speed internet finally up there this weekend.
If your carrier, like Rogers does not restrict tethering or charge extra, then there would be no reason to use tetherberry from what I can see - just follow the "using your blackberry as a modem" instructions on this forum or use dm 5. If not, then tetherbery may may be your solution.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
cgirtman

Model: 9630

A co-worker of mine uses it and loves it (verizon).
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
MICP1480
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Why would anyone want to buy a program so that your laptop can connect to the internet, when I have had no problem finding at least one WIFI that I could connect to? So, if you can give me a good sound reason as to when I would use this program, as oppose to finding a WIFI as I have stated earlier, I'll consider it. Thank you.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
arieltf

Model: Z10
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICP1480 View Post
Why would anyone want to buy a program so that your laptop can connect to the internet, when I have had no problem finding at least one WIFI that I could connect to? So, if you can give me a good sound reason as to when I would use this program, as oppose to finding a WIFI as I have stated earlier, I'll consider it. Thank you.
You don't have to go looking for a WiFi site with Tetherberry. The internet is available anywhere within the coverage area of your carrier. Which is far more extensive than WiFi.

--Ariel
Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
rugmankc

Model: 8900
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

Quote:

We go home twice a year for several days to see family. While at my Mother-in-Law's house were we stay, I can surf the net, show her things on the net, (she is 90), and connect thru Skype with my son and daughter-in-law to talk and use the video option. My Mother-In-Law loves this, as she gets to see and talk to her grandson and his wife. Other family members are also there to enjoy the "event". If I pay my carrier each time, that is $20 a year. Also, if I loose my internet connection at the house or at work were there is no wifi or connection, I can connect thru the 8900. Well worth it to me and works great and is fairly fast.

Ken
Old 11-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #17
Pete777

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
My Father In Law (who is actually pretty tech saavy) is still on dial-up at the house. After a few not so pleasant discussions with the local cable internet company and phone (DSL) company, he decided to blow them both off and stay on dial up.

If he ever gets high speed I have a wireless router with his name on it and will install it. Meanwhile, tethering my laptop when visiting sure beats driving 3 miles to the nearest wi-fi hotspot.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Pete777

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat68046 View Post
...since you're AT&T.

Nice idea, Seahawk007!
It appears you need to be on a specific data plan to tether your phone. I had talked to someone at ATT awhile ago and they informed me that if I tether my laptop & phone, this usage DOES NOT fall under my normal unlimited data plan that I have with my phone service (internet/email). It's a whole other set of charges.

Please let us know if this is still the case. Maybe ATT decided to merge the two data plans (though that's probably unlikely).
Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #19
MiataMike

Model: Tour
Default reasons to use Teatherberry

Quote:
Reason number 1: I use tetherberry to avoid having to reconfigure my wifi when moving laptop from home to work. I have Netswitch, but Tetherberry is faster, especially if I just need to log on at home for just a minute before heading to work.

Reason number 2: to get around the websense internet filter at work Nothing drastic, just that working 55-65 hours a week it is nice if during a lunch break I can pay some bills or deposit my paycheck using USAA's "deposit at home" feature. Most of my online bill paying sites and my banking site are disabled by work's websense.
Closed Thread