Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
jcricket
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default New BIS? Features?

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know how the new BIS (that T-Mobile is on now) works? I use both BES (corporate account) and BIS (personal email) and would love not to have to delete email in both my Blackberry and personal email account (POP3).

Besides offering something closer to "real-time" email, does the new BIS offer sync capability (so if I delete something on my blackberry it's deleted from the inbox on my actual mail account too)? How about synching sent mail and access to any other IMAP/mail folders?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

I was using T-Mobile BIS with a 7290. There are some threads about it so you can get other's opinions. My experience was positive. I thought it was a big improvement over the way the current BWC system works. Both pop and imap accounts worked without a hitch. The only problem was T-Mobile didn't support MSN email, still doesn't. With yahoo email you get instant push just like with BES. I never was able to find out if yahoo hosted my email if that feature would work.

No other syncing was available.

If you go to the T-Mobile site, they put together a table showing how the system works with different email providers, yahoo, pop and imap.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

It does delete email off the pop/imap accounts as you delete them off your handheld, if you tell it to.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
jcricket

Thanks for the info. Hope Cingular upgrades sometime early next year. About 90% of the personal email I get I read quickly on the BB and then delete. It's a pain to have to delete it from my IMAP account as well.

I can live without the yahoo push services, even though they would be nice.

There's actually an IMAP client feature where the client can, basically, keep an open connection to the server and the server notifies the client to download new mail. We implemented that at work for the clients that support it. Wonder if RIM is using something like that on their end to get the email faster.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
jcricket

FYI for others reading this thread - this is the link people were referring to: http://www.t-mobile.com/bisupgrade/

Basic new features seem to be: Inbox, Sent, Deleted items kept in sync, Faster delivery (push with yahoo like BES), no storage limitations (besides what your ISP and your device have).
Old 12-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
gkolleng
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

There is still no way to get Yahoo mail pushed to your BB with Cingular unless you have Yahoo Plus (for forwarding), correct??
Old 12-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

anyone know of dates on cingulars bis upgrade?

Old 12-22-2005, 07:46 PM   #8
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcricket
FYI for others reading this thread - this is the link people were referring to: http://www.t-mobile.com/bisupgrade/

Basic new features seem to be: Inbox, Sent, Deleted items kept in sync, Faster delivery (push with yahoo like BES), no storage limitations (besides what your ISP and your device have).
---

This last statement is not qiute true. While there are no space limitations, there is a time limit, 30 days for email sent to your BB email address. And once those 30 days are up any attachments in them are lost.

To me, that latter is much more important than having all my non-time sensitave email cluttering up my BB.

Just my personal point of view, but having this capability was a major point in my descision to purchase the BB.

Rcbjr
Old 12-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolleng
There is still no way to get Yahoo mail pushed to your BB with Cingular unless you have Yahoo Plus (for forwarding), correct??
I switched my e-mail forwading to g-mail from Yahoo. It is basically instant.

This shows how to do it and it is free:

click here

My Yahoo hosted Domain e-mail goes thru g-mail and to BB it is also brought in to Outlook express by home PC via Pop.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #10
gkolleng
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry I can't find how to forward my Yahoo mail to Gmail in the thread above. If there was a way to forward Yahoo mail to Gmail without having Yahoo Plus that would be great. Is there a way?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #11
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Unhappy

Well, there's at least one way to forward your mail from yahoo without having yahoo-plus, but you need to have a Linux / Unix account running somewhere and install the "fetchyahoo" Perl script (google on "fetchyahoo") and then have the *nix mail program redirect to google.

I actually do this, so I know it works, but I only mention it in the event that you or someone you know works on a platform that could make this happen.

There may be other utilities out there that do the same thing... i.e. the way it works is "fetchyahoo" longs in to your Yahoo mail account every so often and downloads your mail.

See for example "YahooPops" http://www.ypopsemail.com/

It will take some work setting up and installing. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
rcbjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbay2002

<Snip>
There may be other utilities out there that do the same thing... i.e. the way it works is "fetchyahoo" longs in to your Yahoo mail account every so often and downloads your mail.

See for example "YahooPops" http://www.ypopsemail.com/

It will take some work setting up and installing. Good luck.
---

And just how is this different from having BIS pulling from your Yahoo account?

Rcbjr
Old 12-23-2005, 06:52 PM   #13
gkolleng
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
---

And just how is this different from having BIS pulling from your Yahoo account?

Rcbjr
To have BIS pull email from Yahoo you need a Yahoo Plus account (which costs money) to enable POP access.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:19 PM   #14
whsbuss

Quote:
To have BIS pull email from Yahoo you need a Yahoo Plus account (which costs money) to enable POP access.
Correct. Yahoo deos not provide POP access on their free standard email accounts. Neither does MSN.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #15
rcbjr

Sorry, I thought BIS could pull from Yahoo, but to forward from Yahoo you had to have Premium.

Thanks for your Help.
Rcbjr
Old 12-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #16
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

just to clarify, if you use fetchyahoo and/or Yahoopops, you can pull mail from Yahoo without having a Yahoo premium account (i.e. you don't need a pop server account on Yahoo).

BUT, fetchyahoo runs under Perl on *nix platforms, and Yahoopops runs on Windows-based machines. It takes some work and knowledge to set it up, but I mention it because I'm doing it successfully. I have fetchyahoo log in to my Yahoo mail account every hour, download all mail, and then forward to my google mail account. I could forward to my blackberry if I wanted to.

It's not a simple solution, but it's the only way I can think of to accomplish what you're looking for.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:41 AM   #17
wcl884

Model: 8300
Carrier: Crapular

Deleted

Last edited by wcl884; 12-25-2005 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Wrong Post
Old 12-26-2005, 08:41 PM   #18
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Sorry I can't find how to forward my Yahoo mail to Gmail in the thread above. If there was a way to forward Yahoo mail to Gmail without having Yahoo Plus that would be great. Is there a way?

I was suggesting you replace Yahoo mail with g-mail...if that is an option.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #19
diesel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

I don't believe that the information being stated on this thread is correct in terms of the "instant push" nature of email accounts synced via pop on the new tmobile BIS. Prior to this, i used to have my gmail acct forwarded to my blackberry tmobile email, and that was INSTANT. With the new BIS, it seems as if tmobile will "pull" email from the gmail pop server every 15 or so minutes (sometimes even half an hour delay) so and depending you can wait quite a long time, upwards of half an hour for an email sent to gmail to get sent to your blackberry. If they could get this system to be instantaneous that would be perfect, since any emails sent via your blackberry would show in the sent folder in gmail which was cool, but the long delays in receiving email made this method unusable for me.

anyone else notice this?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:26 AM   #20
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I don't really have any POP accounts associated with my T-Mo BB however, Yahoo mail appears to be pretty much instantaneous.
Closed Thread