Old 07-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #21
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
Cant wait until the Iphone crew has to send their units back to Apple for a new battery after a paltry 100 charges---Ah, Steve Jobs really knows how to brainwash and then get people to happy allow themselves to be ripped off while Jobs reaps the profits. Unbelievable.

Ah newbies! Just to correct you it's 400 full charges, then it'll loose 20% and the battery will only hold a charge up to 80%. FYI! Ohh and by the way we're really the BlackBerry crew using iphones, or better yet both, sorry to burst your bubble! But hey, welcome to the Forum!

Last edited by sean76; 07-11-2007 at 11:27 PM..
Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #22
jgoldenb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: rogers

so you have the iphone just for internet browsing and music and the Bberry for email and phone?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #23
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldenb View Post
so you have the iphone just for internet browsing and music and the Bberry for email and phone?

Well I have two lines, one for business, and one for personal use. So either way I have two devices! But here's the breakdown.
Verizon BB 8830- Business line, email, some texting.
at&t apple iphone- personal line, music, media & web browsing, quick pictures, some texting as well.
Both give me what I need, and do what their supposed to do. Best of both worlds!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #24
dhendricks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Verizon/T-Mobile

I switched to the iPhone for one weekend from my curve and ended up returning it. I wrote a review of the iPhone and said exactly why:

Danxxx8217;s Tech Reviews » Apple iPhone 4GB/8GB Review
Old 07-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #25
sagobro

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I bought 2 Iphones and sold them on Craigslist for 700 each. So essentially I bought my curve for free!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #26
rgoodwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

I'm about to return mine as well and probably get the Curve. I just dont know if I'm going to eat the activation fee, etc, from AT&T and get an open market Curve to use on Tmo. Their BB plans are so much cheaper, but I might be able to get my work to pay for it again either way.

Is there a (non financial) reason to go w/ BB on Tmo (which I have been so far) vs AT&T? I saw the bit about Yahoo messenger having to be hacked on, but haven't seen much else.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #27
rgoodwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendricks View Post
I switched to the iPhone for one weekend from my curve and ended up returning it. I wrote a review of the iPhone and said exactly why:

Dan’s Tech Reviews » Apple iPhone 4GB/8GB Review

By the way, saw your review before you brought it up on here, and it helped reinforce my thoughts. That, and toying with my 8700 again on my flight back here
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #28
dhendricks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoodwin View Post
By the way, saw your review before you brought it up on here, and it helped reinforce my thoughts. That, and toying with my 8700 again on my flight back here
Thanks! Glad to see someone read it. I just do it for fun. I got out of the whole endeavor with a $59 restocking fee and no harm done. I'm back on T-Mobile and loving the curve even more.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 PM   #29
dhendricks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoodwin View Post
I'm about to return mine as well and probably get the Curve. I just dont know if I'm going to eat the activation fee, etc, from AT&T and get an open market Curve to use on Tmo. Their BB plans are so much cheaper, but I might be able to get my work to pay for it again either way.

Is there a (non financial) reason to go w/ BB on Tmo (which I have been so far) vs AT&T? I saw the bit about Yahoo messenger having to be hacked on, but haven't seen much else.
Doesn't AT&T give you a certain amount of time to try the phone without getting penalized? I think it's 7 days or so. I got rid of mine in less than 3.

Some people I've spoken to think T-Mobile's EDGE is better than AT&T's. I personally find EDGE to be quite sufficient most of the time on the Curve using TMo.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 AM   #30
rgoodwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's 3 days, and mine has now been 14 :( So yes, restocking plus activation is likely. Truth be told, Tmo reception stinks at my house anyway, i'm just bristling at the higher prices from At&t and some deep seeded hatred I developed for them at some point

I think actually att's edge network is pulling ahead now, because of all of the optimizations they did for iPhone. Irony! (or is it iRony?)
Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #31
bdizzlefizzle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1151 View Post
One iPhone: $600

Buying a Curve, a 30GB iPod, and a round-trip ticket to Orlando for a weekend of fun: $600

Watching a guy who is using EDGE on the iPhone to find a cheap movie theater while you are on your way to the airport while enjoying e-mail and lots of music: PRICELESS
mk, maybe you have a special Curve, but the Curve uses EDGE just like the iPhone, but the iPhone user might be on 802.11g, getting much better Internet speeds than you are on your Curve (with a crippled browser, no less).

I have a Curve, and don't want an iPhone (yet...need some changes to it first), but that doesn't mean the iPhone sucks. Nor does it mean we should bash the iPhone for something our device doesn't have either (e.g. faster data via 3G)
Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #32
andrsnsm

PIN: N/A

Agree 100%. When the iphone gets 3g (Web browsing on EDGE is WAY too slow on the iphone), MMS, and louder call volume I will strongly consider it. It really is a cool device but just not quite ready for me.

Sam

Last edited by andrsnsm; 07-15-2007 at 08:34 AM..
Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #33
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I finally had a chance to spend a little quality time with the iPhone of a friend yesterday...and have to report that, yes...I want one. But I am not willing to drop the cash yet on an unfinished product.

The number one shortcoming to me is the too-low earpiece speaker (handset) volume on incoming calls. That is a huge biggie to me, since I have some hearing loss...and one of the many reasons I love my Curve, since it rocks in that area. Apple seriously needs to address this issue, since every phone-specific forum on the web (including Apple's own...) has large numbers of posts with users complaining that they cannot hear in anything louder than a totally-quiet environment. I made several calls on the iPhone I had access to...and even at full volume adjustment, it was the lowest volume I had ever heard on a mobile phone. Or, should I say the lowest volume that I NEVER heard...

EDGE speed (or lack of it) and earpiece volume (lack of it). If those two things are addressed and given a HUGE boost by software upgrades in the future...I might just be willing to throw down the $600 cost of admission for this new device. Until then...and only then, I am sticking with BlackBerry.

Last edited by davistld01; 07-15-2007 at 09:03 AM..
Old 07-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #34
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

What will be nice about iPhone updates it that since the updates are said to go directly from Apple to the customers (via iTunes), it doesn't look like the "wait 2 more months while the carrier dicks around with the update before they decide if they're going to make it available to download" scenario will apply.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #35
dianahufmn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
I have a friend with an iPhone..... All I can say is YUCK
I can second that statement! Owned the iPhone for a week, hated more things about it than I liked. NOTHING better than my Curve. Does everything I need and want it to do. Couldn't ask for a better phone. IMHO.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #36
sigmamason
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22BFEE32

Played with one for about 2 hrs at the AT&T store yesterday. Not a bad device at all, not sold on the virtual keypad as I don't see that as a good thing in a business arena.
Pretty neat interface but a touch screen is a touch screen is a touch screen...not that it is a bad thing at all.
Pretty responsive device, don't see myself kicking out $700 for one as the BB and Treo 750 do all that I want and need.
Again, neat device and it will be great for the target audience which is not the business person or the business/consumer that wants access to email and programs that allow them to run their businesses and lives.
Travel Light!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #37
mk1151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzlefizzle View Post
mk, maybe you have a special Curve, but the Curve uses EDGE just like the iPhone, but the iPhone user might be on 802.11g, getting much better Internet speeds than you are on your Curve (with a crippled browser, no less).

I have a Curve, and don't want an iPhone (yet...need some changes to it first), but that doesn't mean the iPhone sucks. Nor does it mean we should bash the iPhone for something our device doesn't have either (e.g. faster data via 3G)
I never said the Curve had faster packet-cellular data, only that for an equivalent packet-data radio you can get a phone, an iPod (or Zune) and a weekend getaway.

Personally I value my away-from-work time too much to stare at a 3" screen to look at web pages... Roller Coasters and Shamu are more exciting. If only the Curve had the same resolution camera as the iPhone it would be perfect to get pix of Shamu... wait, the Curve does have the same camera as the iPhone. Nevermind.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #38
aristobrat

Quote:
I never said the Curve had faster packet-cellular data, only that for an equivalent packet-data radio you can get a phone, an iPod (or Zune) and a weekend getaway.
Buy a less-expensive device with a more expensive monthly data plan, or buy a more-expensive device with a less expensive monthly data plan.

At the end of a two year contract, you've paid pretty much the same.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #39
mk1151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Buy a less-expensive device with a more expensive monthly data plan, or buy a more-expensive device with a less expensive monthly data plan.

At the end of a two year contract, you've paid pretty much the same.
I have heard this come up alot - I pay $30/month for unlimited Blackberry data & browsing with 1500 SMS and MMS messages. That is same as the iPhone plan. What am I missing?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #40
aristobrat

Quote:
I have heard this come up alot - I pay $30/month for unlimited Blackberry data & browsing with 1500 SMS and MMS messages. That is same as the iPhone plan. What am I missing?
You're not missing anything, although it appears you're on a grandfathered plan that new customers (or current customers switching their plans) can't get. Is that right?
Closed Thread