BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #41
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Cory, from everyone I spoke to at WES - unless they were just blantantly lying - the OS on the device will be nowhere near ready in the June timeframe. The stability is still of major concern and the browser has yet to be updated to it's final version. AT&T reps at WES spoke of the device release timeframe being at the end of the summer at the earliest. This wasn't just from your everyday store manager or service rep either, mind you.

I don't see Rogers releasing an unfinished device. Unless AT&T really is just making room for the 3G iPhone, then I doubt Rogers will release it anytime in the next two to three months. I cannot recall the last time Rogers went to market before an American carrier with any major device release (AT&T beat them on the Curve 8300, T-Mobile beat them on the Pearl 8100, AT&T beat them on the 8700, AT&T beat them on the 7290, T-Mobile beat them on the 7100). Rogers may settle for first place with the likes of the 8310, but it appears they have always settled for second or third place when it comes to major device family launches, which would include the 9000/Bold.

If they release it in the next few weeks, I'd be very happy to see it... but I just don't think it will happen.

Last edited by jibi; 05-26-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #42
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
Cory, from everyone I spoke to at WES - unless they were just blantantly lying - the OS on the device will be nowhere near ready in the June timeframe. The stability is still of major concern and the browser has yet to be updated to it's final version. AT&T reps at WES spoke of the device release timeframe being at the end of the summer at the earliest. This wasn't just from your everyday store manager or service rep either, mind you.
Depressing. Looks like I may have to pull the trigger on a used Curve for a couple of months to hold me over.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #43
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Carrier: None

Quote:

I don't see Rogers releasing an unfinished device. Unless AT&T really is just making room for the 3G iPhone, then I doubt Rogers will release it anytime in the next two to three months. I cannot recall the last time Rogers went to market before an American carrier with any major device release (AT&T beat them on the Curve 8300, T-Mobile beat them on the Pearl 8100, AT&T beat them on the 8700, AT&T beat them on the 7290, T-Mobile beat them on the 7100). Rogers may settle for first place with the likes of the 8310, but it appears they have always settled for second or third place when it comes to major device family launches, which would include the 9000/Bold.

If they release it in the next few weeks, I'd be very happy to see it... but I just don't think it will happen.

Very interesting, well i guess only time will tell maybe its just me being optimistic about it... hopefully we dont have to wait that long... but hey you never know
Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #44
supercat25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

I know this is a BB forum but what's up with this!

The HTC Shift will launch on Rogers within the next 10 days. Rumored date is May 22nd, and it’s going for $1,500 on a 3-year agreement.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #45
GadgetCanada

Model: 8310

Quote:

Agreed. Look more for an August timeframe.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #46
demonte
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: 319E9BD0
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
Depressing. Looks like I may have to pull the trigger on a used Curve for a couple of months to hold me over.
yup thats what I did last week, I couldn't wait
Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #47
pokey

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post
Agreed. Look more for an August timeframe.
I was told by another Rogers source today that it could be into late fall, worst case scenario now. No reason given for the push back...
Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #48
demonte
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: 319E9BD0
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
I was told by another Rogers source today that it could be into late fall, worst case scenario now. No reason given for the push back...
now that I got the new curve, I hope it doesn't come out for a while, gives me some time to save up for the bold since im gonna have to pay full price for it, sorry I know this post is gonna piss some people off
Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #49
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

Rogers has been the first in North America on a lot of phones recently(N95 8GB, SE k850i, not sure but maybe LG Vu, HTC shift) just not BB phones. Hopefully they do release this first too. Im just ambitious because i'm canadian.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #50
Battery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Wirelessly posted

I just hope this tape holding my pearls battery cover on holds until the bold comes out.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #51
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
Rogers has been the first in North America on a lot of phones recently(N95 8GB, SE k850i, not sure but maybe LG Vu, HTC shift) just not BB phones. Hopefully they do release this first too. Im just ambitious because i'm canadian.
I believe the BB Curve 8300 was released before AT&T did - due to a delay by AT&T at the last minute for some reason or we missed it by 10days or something like that.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #52
mortys11

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

BlackBerry Bold in my hands! - PinStack.com
Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #53
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

ohhhh its getting close!!! i can feel it!! ohh on build .86, that definitly means its getting close
Old 05-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #54
mobile_pheen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: N/A
PIN: 2a3b4c
Carrier: Left Pocket

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Scheuer
ohhhh its getting close!!! i can feel it!! ohh on build .86, that definitly means its getting close
corey, based on the pinstack images, are you now convinced that Wifi wont be disabled or watered down on the rogers edition?

Last edited by mobile_pheen; 05-30-2008 at 07:39 PM..
Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 AM   #55
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

not really... i am kinda convinced... but until i have a wifi BB in my hands, whether it be the BOLD or 8120 to test it out then i wont make any confirmations...
Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 AM   #56
Blackberryer

I think WiFi is a neat feature, but if the device is 3G does it really matter all that much?

Although I guess if you live in an area where 3G coverage isn't that great, it helps.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:56 AM   #57
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

it matters when you have to pay $100 for 200 MBs.... WiFi will let me downgrafe my plan, as i will have wifi at home and work.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #58
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I know this is a stretch, but I'll ask anyway. IT Policy is blocking the use of our memory card (and wifi, camera and other good features). Any chance the new OS will allow use of the removable memory just for media player? Although I do miss the other features of the BB, I'd really like to bring some music along with me.

Will the 9000 use the same Powerstation as the 8800?

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #59
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

that is something that is done by the IT policy... i have never played with an IT policy before so i cannot tell you for sure that the memory card can be restricted for one thing but not the other... i would talk to you IT admin about that.

and no the 9000 with have a different powerstation then the 8800 as the 9000 is a tad bigger then the 8800
Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #60
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
it matters when you have to pay $100 for 200 MBs.... WiFi will let me downgrafe my plan, as i will have wifi at home and work.
Gotcha. I forget that you Rogers folks seem to get raked over data. Although this will be my first 3G device with AT&T, I wonder if they charge more for 3G vs. EDGE.
Closed Thread