BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Eschguy

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default Read (and write) Simplified Chinese

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, I'm completely new to my BlackBerry so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have the need to be able to read and write simplified Chinese on my Blackberry. Right now it shows up as little black boxes wherever the characters are supposed to be. Is it possible to fix this? If so, anybody feel like taking the time to walk me through it?

On a second note, if it is at all possible for me to write Chinese characters that would be great. It's not terribly important but it would definitely be convenient.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
r8320

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschguy View Post
Hey guys, I'm completely new to my BlackBerry so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have the need to be able to read and write simplified Chinese on my Blackberry. Right now it shows up as little black boxes wherever the characters are supposed to be. Is it possible to fix this? If so, anybody feel like taking the time to walk me through it?

On a second note, if it is at all possible for me to write Chinese characters that would be great. It's not terribly important but it would definitely be convenient.

Any help would be appreciated!
choose one of the OS upgrades with "East Asian Language Support", follow the upgrade instruction, check the language and input options for installation and you will have the additional (to English) language once the App Loader completes its job. Reading is always there. You switch between English and Chinese input modes by going thru Menu selection or by Alt+Return key.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Eschguy

Is there an easy way to do this on a Mac? I'm not finding anything.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
Eschguy

There aren't any "East Asian" options either, they're all "Multilanguage". I installed that and while I can read Chinese, I still can't write. Any workaround? Or did I not do it right?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
r8320

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschguy View Post
There aren't any "East Asian" options either, they're all "Multilanguage". I installed that and while I can read Chinese, I still can't write. Any workaround? Or did I not do it right?
All the other 83x0 models have the East Asian support in the recent OS releases (on top of the Forum message board). Can it be GSM vs. CDMA? I have limited myself to GSM phones for years due to the countries I travel and stay. Did you check if Chinese is included in the "multilanguage" pack? Isn't CDMA also used in China or some other Asian countries?

I haven't touched any Mac for a long time. Can't help you there either. Sorry.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Eschguy

Not that I saw, I can now write Spanish and French (yippie), but I didn't see anything on Chinese. I think I may be out of luck in that department. As long as I can read, that was the important thing. If I ever have to respond I'll just wait til I'm able to sit at my laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8320 View Post
I haven't touched any Mac for a long time. Can't help you there either. Sorry.
No worries, I used my girlfriends XP box.
Closed Thread