BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #21
fuchs

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

After using the 8830 for 10 days, I find:

1) The ring volume at high is simply inaudible when there is any significant ambient noise (e.g., outside near traffic)

2) the Vibrate is not detectable when I am moving (e.g., walking)

As a result of the 8830's feeble volume/vibrate I am geetting complaints from people about missing calls and email. I am going to (reluctantly) return the 8830 and go back to my 7250 whcih has better alerting (although no MP3). I will chalk this up to being an early adopter. Perhaps if they get enough feedback about this, RIM will issue a revised version. Maybe by then, Verizon will have made the GPS usable too.

Does anyone know if the Curve is any better than the 8830 with respect to it's alert volume and vibrate intensity? Of course, I'd still need a Verizon version of the Curve and dual CDMA/GSM would be nice.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #22
dbdynsty25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH View Post
Nah. This phone definitely has a ringer volume problem. It's not a mis-setting of any sort (at least for most of us.) I've had tons of phones, tons of PDA type phones and this one isn't the worst in terms of volume but it's competing for second place. This is definitely a shortcoming in either the hardware or software of this phone.
Picked up an 8830 today and I can definitely see where you guys would be complaining. That said, I always thought the alerts on the 8703e were too loud, so I had them on Low or Medium at most, so this will be just fine for me. The vibrate is definitely weaker as well...which may pose a problem, but nothing too terrible I suppose.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:21 PM   #23
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I have an 8800c and my business partner has a 8830. My ring tone on high blasts compared to his. His "high" is about the same as my "medium". Everyone comments about my ring volume...telling me I need a hearing aide!
Cingular 8800
Old 05-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #24
trams
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerry View Post
I have an 8800c and my business partner has a 8830. My ring tone on high blasts compared to his. His "high" is about the same as my "medium". Everyone comments about my ring volume...telling me I need a hearing aide!

So it's a software issue. All 8800 series hardware is exactly the same? No?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #25
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by trams View Post
So it's a software issue. All 8800 series hardware is exactly the same? No?
*cough* verizon issue *cough*
Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #26
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am going to agree with Someone...I think it is a Verizon issue and not software.
Cingular 8800
Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #27
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I am going to agree with Someone...I think it is a Verizon issue and not software.
to clarify, I was kind of meaning "verizon's software" issue
Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #28
jefftse

I just talked to BB tech today and he said the ring tone on 8830 only uses the front speaker. When you play music, it uses the back speaker. and That's why we hear the difference.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #29
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Sounds like a firmware upgrade ;)
Old 05-31-2007, 12:25 PM   #30
horst

He's right. You can fix the volume level of a custom ringer fairly easy. Simply download a program like WavePad or the one he describes below, use it to amplify your chosen ringer on your computer by about 150% or so, then open the media manager and save it directly to the DEVICE folder (not the media card) for ringtones, then select it on profiles, make sure the volume is at loud, and it should play much louder. Worked perfectly for me. I was able to amplify the ringtone almost to the point of distortion. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyjr View Post
Hi folks - I have a possible fix for the low ringer volume issue -

I didn't like the ring volume on my 8830 either and I am by no means good with stuff like this, but I "Googled" and found a program called Audacity that is free (can't post the link, but it looks like some sort of open source/shareware). In any case, I installed it and it allows you to raise the gain of ringtones. I also modified some old fashioned ringers by shortening and amplifying them a little bit. If I can do it, anyone can! I am pleased with the result, which is at least as loud as my 8703, if not a bit better. I wish I had found this sooner (no, I don't have any personal stake in the program but it worked for me).

Added info - I used some mp3 ringers that I have used in my Motorola phones. I was not able to boost the stock ring tones, only new ones that I have added to the 8830. Also, for those who may not know - when you install the new Desktop Manager software that comes with the 8830, there is a media management icon. When you add ringers this way, you can select to put them into the "device memory" or the media card memory. This was one of the few things that I liked about Windows Mobile devices and I'm pleased to see it in the Blackberry. I dropped my boosted mp3 ringers into the device memory and so far, so good. I'm using a loud Nextel ringer that really gets my attention.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any way to delete the stock images or stock tones on the device - it looks to be locked somehow.

Hoppy
Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #31
LarryH
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by horst View Post
He's right. You can fix the volume level of a custom ringer fairly easy. Simply download a program like WavePad or the one he describes below, use it to amplify your chosen ringer on your computer by about 150% or so, then open the media manager and save it directly to the DEVICE folder (not the media card) for ringtones, then select it on profiles, make sure the volume is at loud, and it should play much louder. Worked perfectly for me. I was able to amplify the ringtone almost to the point of distortion. Hope this helps!
I had good results amplifying the ringer as you described but it works fine for me from the media card. Have you noticed a volume difference if the ringtone is on the card?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #32
Shotiime11
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650

I tried the speakerphone volume tactic and it worked for mine. Ringer volume is much louder now with my MP3 ringtone.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #33
trams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I was definitely meaning Verizon's software mods.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #34
fuchs

Default vibrate

Now if someone could figure out how to make the vibrate tranducer as strong as the one on the 7250 or 8703e. If someone has a line to a BB tech, perhaps they could address this (though I assume this is a pure hw issue).
Old 05-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #35
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Isn't the front speaker smaller than the rear? Won't any sort of volume really distort the sound?
Cingular 8800
Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #36
Tazmann

Model: 7250
Thumbs down I have BB'd my way back to 7250

After reading all these comments on the ringer issues of the NEW World Edition 8830, I have packed it up and returned it to Verizon. I just reactivated my 7250. The Verizon Techs would not admit there is a problem with a "low ringer". The best thing happened next... 2 people with the same complaint were at the counter with me. I will wait for a software patch.. or whatever has to be done, as I loved the phone... BUT.. if you can't hear it ring..... well,you know what I am saying.

Last edited by Tazmann; 05-31-2007 at 03:42 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #37
Sniperet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Isn't the front speaker smaller than the rear? Won't any sort of volume really distort the sound?
I had the same volumn problem everyone is complaining about. I fixed it by using Audacity to crank up the gain to just below where my cheapo 10 yr old desktop speakers began to distort. Transferred it to my BB sd card and selected it as my ringtone, volumn problem solved. No noticeably distortion in the sounds.

I even use my 8830 as my alarm clock and get enough sound to wake me up.

After cranking up the MP3 file the ringer and alarm volumns on my 8830 are about the same as my Moto Q.

Last edited by Sniperet; 05-31-2007 at 04:11 PM..
Old 06-05-2007, 04:37 AM   #38
dkowal

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Talking Audacity or WavePad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperet View Post
I had the same volumn problem everyone is complaining about. I fixed it by using Audacity to crank up the gain to just below where my cheapo 10 yr old desktop speakers began to distort. Transferred it to my BB sd card and selected it as my ringtone, volumn problem solved. No noticeably distortion in the sounds.

I even use my 8830 as my alarm clock and get enough sound to wake me up.

After cranking up the MP3 file the ringer and alarm volumns on my 8830 are about the same as my Moto Q.

I have heard several people mention Audactiy and/or WavePad to fix this menacing Ringer Volume problem. Can someone please POST where to find either of these two dowanloadable programs please?

Thanks for the assistance!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:35 AM   #39
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkowal View Post
I have heard several people mention Audactiy and/or WavePad to fix this menacing Ringer Volume problem. Can someone please POST where to find either of these two dowanloadable programs please?

Thanks for the assistance!
First few links available for Google Search:

AUDACITY SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD

Download WavePad 3.05 Free Trial - WavePad lets you make and edit voice and other audio recordings - Softpedia
Old 06-05-2007, 05:45 AM   #40
dkowal

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Audacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
Thank you!
Closed Thread