BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
TMR

Model: 7250
Default Battery charge to only 95%

Please Login to Remove!

I have read (through searches here) about some that have had issues with there 8703e models that would only charge to 95%.

I have the same problem. Mine will only charge to 95% over night through a wall outlet. When I then hook it to the PC through USB, it will go to 100%, but won't stay there long. I've also noticed that the battery will drop during usage, and "recover" after rest. I never noticed any of this on my old 7250. I seem to get decent battery performance otherwise.

My question: Has anyone who has had the "problem" exchanged there 8703e for a new one that did NOT have the same issue? Are there people out there that have 8703e's that DO NOT have this problem?

I'm really trying to sort out if this is normal, or should I be returning this one for a replacement.

BTW, It's the 8703e on Sprint's network.

Thanks,

TMR
Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Steve-hose
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I have the same issue but everything works well so I am not going to return it to Sprint.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
myet01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703E
Carrier: Sprint

Do a search, you will find numerous discussions about this.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
TMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by myet01
I did a search. I found some discussions, but I wouldn't say numerous. What I didn't find was an answer to my question. If you know of a thread that answers my questions, please let me know. Heck, just tell me what you keyed into the search engine to get numerous discussions returned, and I'll try that.

If it's normal, then fine, if it's not, then I'll replace the unit. What I don't want to do is waste a lot of time swapping units that all act the same.

Is this normal or not? Do people have 8703e's that do charge to 100%. When they do charge to 100%, do they stay there for more than 3 minutes?

Thanks,

TMR
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

many times removing the battery and rebooting will allow the BB to charge to 100%. I had many problems with this on my 7100t but none with my Pearl.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309

Quote:
Originally Posted by myet01
Quote:
1. Please refrain from directing members to SEARCH. The job of the Moderation Team is to ensure that members receive the proper, friendly guidance that they need to maximize their learning experience.

Too often the Moderation Team is seeing a rise in the number of rude remarks in replys to new members posts. It is important to remember that everyone has a different knowledge of forums and that not everyone knows it is proper ettiquette to search before asking.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...uncements.html
Old 12-20-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Thge battery only going to 95% is not a big enough deal to send it back and get someone else's refurbished device. Just enjoy your phone and do worry about it.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
TMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Thge battery only going to 95% is not a big enough deal to send it back and get someone else's refurbished device. Just enjoy your phone and do worry about it.
I wouldn't get a refurb. I'm within the return period so I would get a new one. Is it worth exchanging now?

Thanks,
TMR
Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
smallville20
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have an 8703e from Verizon (almost a month old). It charges to 100% from the wall without issues. It was stressed to me however to do the following to the battery when I purchased:

1. Completely Charge before use.
2. Completely Drain before re-charging.
3. Continually charge when not in use.

Was your battery maintenanced like this from the beginning? Take care!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
TMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville20
I have an 8703e from Verizon (almost a month old). It charges to 100% from the wall without issues. It was stressed to me however to do the following to the battery when I purchased:

1. Completely Charge before use.
2. Completely Drain before re-charging.
3. Continually charge when not in use.

Was your battery maintenanced like this from the beginning? Take care!

Yes, but the "complete" charge never made it to 100%. I have noticed that I always reach 100% when I charge from the USB port on my PC, and only reach 95% when charging from the wall.

I've also noticed that when charging is finished (from the USB port) that the LED goes from flashing, to solid green, and when charging from the wall, it goes from flashing to off. Both of these are charging with the BB powered off.

I think my wall charger is bad.

Other than this, the BB appears to be working fine. Would you exchange yours based on this?

Thanks,

TMR
Old 12-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR
I wouldn't get a refurb. I'm within the return period so I would get a new one. Is it worth exchanging now?

Thanks,
TMR
If it is driving you crazy, no keep it!
Old 12-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
rssarma
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630

I am used to a regular handset and this is my first blackberry (8703e on Sprint); regular handsets tell you when a battery is charged, the blackberry doesn't seem to do that, how do I know if the battery is completely charged?

How do you guys seem to know the percentage of charge, whether it be charging through wall or PC?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
smallville20
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

From the desktop of your BB... access Options and scroll to Status. Click on this with your trackwheel and you will see your %.

As for the return... it will only drive you crazy if you don't try. If the new one offers the same issue, the nat least you will feel better about it.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
Prophylactic

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mo

Probably an OS issue. Have you tried wiping it and putting on a different OS? It seems, if this doesn't fix it, then you have a physical problem -- likely some memory in the battery, or something along those lines. Typically, lion batteries don't have many issues with "memory," however.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

The last thing I would do is wipe it and fool with the OS, especially if your new to BB's.
the wall charger may be simply overheating and shutting off. Most Lithium batteries have a charge limit to prevent over charging. the wall unit has a conversion to the 5volts nessesary for the blackberry's battery. It also has the nessesary circuits to limit. I would try a new wall charger before doing anything else. The PC charge relies on the battery to do it's own limit.

good luck and welcome to the forum
Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #16
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

At least it's not a Treo 680, which WILL charge to 100%, but won't last the day :(

I know, because I'm cursed. I bought one :D

Luck!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #17
Prophylactic

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mo

If the charger is putting out continuous voltage -- enough for him to reach 95 percent -- it's very likely not the charger that's at-fault. Backing it up, wiping it, and putting on Bharti or simply restoring the original OS would be something he can do to troubleshoot prior to getting any additional equipment. At that point, he would know if he has a hardware problem, or if it's a software issue. This isn't even a difficult procedure? If he were to get stuck in the process, he could just come here and have someone direct him.

I have personally had battery issues from OS changes and the like. As the power output of the charger is so small, it seems very illogical to me to assume that it could be overheating. Have you tried charging it in your car? Hooking your phone up to your computer via USB also charges the device, as it slaves power from the bus. Have you tried this, too? Any one of these methods, if it remains at 95 percent, would alleviate blame from your wall charger. At that point, it can only be your OS or the battery itself. As you have physical possession of the device and a PC, seems you could narrow it down to one issue within the night.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 AM   #18
TMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophylactic
..... Have you tried charging it in your car? Hooking your phone up to your computer via USB also charges the device, as it slaves power from the bus. Have you tried this, too?.....
Yes, I've noticed that when charging is finished (from the USB port) that the LED goes from flashing, to solid green, and when charging from the wall, it goes from flashing to off. Both of these are charging with the BB powered off.

Charging through the USB port does take the device to 100%. I stopped by the Sprint store on the way home, and they gave me a new wall charger to try. I'll try it tonight, and let everyone jknow what happens...

Thanks to all,

TMR
Old 12-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #19
rssarma

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville20
From the desktop of your BB... access Options and scroll to Status. Click on this with your trackwheel and you will see your %.

As for the return... it will only drive you crazy if you don't try. If the new one offers the same issue, the nat least you will feel better about it.

It does seem like a cumbersome way to check if the battery has been chatged, also I seem to hitting the 95% ceiling with wall charging as well.

Please let me know if the new charger did the trick for you.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #20
TMR

Default New charger no help....

Just an update for those who might be interested...

I received a replacement "wall" charger from the Sprint store (new, and same as what is received in the box), and it also only charged the phone to 95%.

I decided for my own sanity, to exchange the device. The brand new device also only charges to 95% from the wall. So I'm going to keep exchanging it until I find one that goes to 100% (Just kidding!!!)

It would appear that this is just normal for this phone, and the phone is far to awsome to abandon due to this minor flaw. If you want 100%, charge through the USB. Otherwise, the "wall" will get you most of the way there.

For my own curiousity, I can't help but to wonder if there REALLY are people out there that get to 100% through the wall on an 8703e from Sprint...

As an interesting aside, Sprint tried to give me an after market charger as a replacement, and claimed it would be even better than the included one. I wanted to see if it would work on the phone first. Using there display models in the store, we hooked it to the 8703e, and it would not show the lightening bolt. When hooked to the 7130e, it did (batteries were not full on both phones). I thought I read somewhere that only the stock charger works on this phone. Anyone know??? Anyone know why?

I would also wonder if anyone thinks (more than a hunch) that the fault lies in the charger, phone hardware, or OS. I'm tempted to hook my old 7250 charger to it, but am afraid to. Anyone know if the 7250 wall charger would be ok to use on the 8703e?

Thanks everyone!!!

TMR
Closed Thread