Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
kosha0330

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question Phone Randomly Shuts Off Completely, Battery Dead After Reboot

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All -

I have a Blackberry Curve 8310 on the AT&T network. This is my second Curve (my first one died after a few years of usage - constantly freezing with the hourglass and just generally incapable of functioning properly not due to any specific issue, despite multiple software reloads, service books, etc etc).

I am using a Blackberry Curve given to me by a friend. It worked perfectly fine for the first 3 months or so. However recently, in times of app usage (Google Maps, Google Chat, or Facebook) or during a call, the phone randomly shuts off - completely. I have to pull the battery to restart (the power button does nothing), and when it turns back on the power is usually completely drained (despite being completely full at times). When on a phone call, the shutoff is preceeded by static and I can tell it is coming. When using apps, there is no real indication of when.

My usage isn't too heavy, I don't surf the internet that much. I uninstalled Facebook and some other apps to gain back some memory space. I do have a 2gb memory card in there as well.

Some other key facts:
- The very first time this happened, I was on a call, using a headset (I use the Apple iPhone headphones/headset). I pulled out the headset and there was almost a small electric shock, and then a few seconds later the phone died. I have used this headset on my old Curve, and for months before, so I am not sure this is the issue, but could shed light on what is happening.

- I use a Razor charger regularly, not the official Blackberry charger, although this has been the case for 2 years, so no real change here

- Recently, I purchased a GPS device for my car - Garmin Nuvi series. It comes with a charger that fits my Curve. I once plugged this Curve into this, about a month ago, and it charged for a few seconds, but then stopped charging despite still being plugged in. I'm not sure if the voltage was too much for the phone? I used a friend's GPS charger to charge my old phone awhile back and there was no issue - it charged just fine. But this one didn't charge, and now I'm wondering if that attempt is the source of my issues.

I have read some of the other threads, and short of getting a replacement, I'm hearing replacing the battery is the next thing to try? I really think the issue is hardware/electrical related, so while I'm not averse to reloading the OS, I feel pretty certain this isn't OS related.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Should I try a new battery and never try to charge my phone through the GPS charger again?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
eman1228

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Sorry I don't have a good answer for you, but in my opinion I think its an internal phone issue. Its just a guess, but could the wrong charger be pumping in too much power, and screwed it up? Anyway, if I were in your shoes I would probably just look for a new phone. I have never had to buy a battery and im guessing their prob expensive, so the investment might not pay off. I would def. use the factory charger next time.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Sounds like an old battery to me. I'm just starting to have some issues with my 8320. 2 year old battery. Even from a full battery, I can't run an app like Slingplayer for more than 5 or 10 minutes before it dies and then it takes recharging to come back up.

The Razr charger is just slightly lower power than the RIM charger. I've had no problems with them at all.

Last edited by monkeypaw; 11-23-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Old 11-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Cranky

Carrier: AT&T

My 8310 just started doing the same thing. Thinking it was a battery issue, I bought a new battery. But the same thing happens. As long as the phone is plugged into a power source there are no problems.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
User Name MN
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8350i
PIN: 40258974
Carrier: NEXTEL

I had an issue like this on my 8350i, and the store took it and reloaded the OS and everything on it and it was ok for about 2 weeks, then it did it again and the battery was replaced for free......Ever since then i've had no issues...But i also quit using AM chargers....BB only chargers since then.

normally around here i think the batteries sell for about $50......
Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
tuanle

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint, Was on Tmo 8320

Wirelessly posted

I was going to post the same issue. I read in other posts here as well as crackberry regarding the same issue, but noone really knows what the actual problem is. I also recently use a motorola charger the last 3 weeks and have been experiencing the same problems. My phone is about 1.5 yrs old now, but battery used to last 3 days at the beginning. Up to 3 weeks ago, it was still lasting about a day with a full charge. But now it only lasts about an hour. For my situation, I'm almost positive that the change in charger was the issue. My phone used to warn me when the battery is low while I'm on a call, but now it just shuts off. It could be only 5-10 min after a full charge. Personally, I don't think the phone was completely charged. The phone's battery meter is full, but I don't think the battery is actually fully charged. I think this is the reason why the phone doesn't warn me any longer, because the meter says the battery is full when in fact it's not. The motorola may altered the battery's "memory" causing this issue. Anyway that's my theory. I'll post a follow up reply when my new battery arrives to see if it solves this issue.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
kuyaigs

Model: 8900
Carrier: Globe

i had the same problem with my 8310 a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be a battery problem. i bought a new battery and everything is working fine now
Old 12-10-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
tuanle

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint, Was on Tmo 8320

Received a new battery yesterday and fully charged it with OEM charger. So far it's been lasting more than 24 hours and not even 1/2 drained. Obviously, it was battery problem.

I'm a little puzzled with this problem, because the old battery didn't give any warnings when it gets low like it used to. All of the sudden, its capacity became sporadic. Sometimes it lasts a day, but mostly last anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours after a normal charge. I was expecting it to gradually lose its capacity over time. It must be from using a different charger. I still think it made the old battery to have a "memory" effect.

Anyhow, it seems like my problem is solved with a new battery. I will stick with OEM charger for now to see what happens the next few charges.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
darrell@simscasa.com

Carrier: ATT

I had the same problem. It noticed after installing a new battery, as a backup battery. I reinstalled the old battery and started working fine again. I'm waiting on a replacement from the online retailer for the defective battery. Caution to anyone buying cheap online batteries!
Closed Thread