Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
koyeall

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Generic AT&T data plan.

Please Login to Remove!

I'm asking this because I don't want any surprises on my phone bill next month. I am getting a BlackBerry Curve 8310 in 2 days. I *do not* want to pay $30 a month for the BlackBerry Personal unlimited data plan, so I'm hoping I can pay $15 for the generic AT&T unlimited data plan.

I have read I can just reconfigure the APN on the BlackBerry and then just install Opera Mini and various other applications instead of using the built in BlackBerry browser and such.

I know for sure I can use Opera Mini on my current phone and it doesn't charge anything extra (it still counts on the AT&T data plan), so wouldn't it be just the same on a BlackBerry Curve (if I change the APN)?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

That is correct. You can use OM with the correct APN settings, You will not be able to download anything via OM. You will need the BB Browser to do so.

You will not have BB messenger as well.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
koyeall

Thanks.

Why can't I download anything? What do you mean? I've downloaded things from Opera Mini on my current phone and it worked fine.

Also, can I not download other third-party applications designed to do stuff like instant messaging and IRC, etc, and them work too?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
jsconyers

You won't be able to download OTA. It uses the default browser to download. The BB Browser is the default browser and there is no way of changing that AFAIK.

You can install third party applications through Desktop Manager. You will need the ALX and COD files.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
jsconyers

You may find this very useful How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
koyeall

Sorry if this is a silly question. What's OTA?

I assume ALX and COD are basically installers for BlackBerry applications? Can't I just download them off my home internet, put them on, say, my microSD card, and install them with that?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
koyeall

Oh alright okay I got it now. So if I tried to initiate a download with OM, it would attempt to use BB's browser to download it, thus using BB service and not AT&T, correct?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
jsconyers

OTA is Over The Air.

You could put the JAD file on your micro SD card and install it that way. I have seen other users say that doesn't work 100% of the time. I have not had an issue with it.

ALX and COD are the files you would need to install the applications via Desktop Manager. It is a very simple process.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
koyeall

So I see that I also wouldn't be able to send pictures via multimedia messaging either?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #10
jsconyers

According to the FAQ, that is correct. I have never used a BB without a BB data plan personally. This is all I have heard from other users that have a blackberry with a generic data plan.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #11
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

You can use MMS on ATT without the data plan if you have the unlimited text plan.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
koyeall

Oh okay I do. So that's good. So basically, I can't download stuff. Right now anyway. I don't see why something like that wouldn't change in the future, but whatever.

Anyway, so I'll just get the $15 unlimited data plan from AT&T, reconfigure my BlackBerry's APN, and never download something from the internet. =P

Fair enough! Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20CFA98A

No BB data plan means no push email, no BB messenger, no OTA software or other downloads (docs, etc.), no MMS, and even some 3rd party apps require the BB data.

So I have to wonder... Why get a BB at all? May as well get a Samsung Blackjack or Nokia e71 if its the smartphone form factor that appeals to you.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
kaiyasmom
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
No BB data plan means no push email, no BB messenger, no OTA software or other downloads (docs, etc.), no MMS, and even some 3rd party apps require the BB data.

So I have to wonder... Why get a BB at all? May as well get a Samsung Blackjack or Nokia e71 if its the smartphone form factor that appeals to you.
I like the Blackberry because I can synchronize all my information between my computer and my Blackberry. Having my FULL contacts, calender, tasks, and memos and being able to synch them between phone and computer is why I have a Blackberry. Just because you don't use email and BB Messanger is not a good reason to go with an inferior device. I also like the ease of texting with the full keyboard on the Blackberry versus other devices. So, just because you don't use all the features doesn't mean you should get the device. After all... I don't see anyone telling the yuppies to stop driving SUVs because they don't go offroad in them.

BTW... you can use MMS without a Blackberry Data Plan on ATT and you can download on their Pay Per Use as long as you watch how much you do. If you use $20 worth of data using Google maps one month, then none the next month, you are still $40 ahead of the game.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
wmflyfisher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Yeah, I have never used a BB plan but I do use my phone for personal use and not business. A also have to manually check my email which doesn;t bother me in exchange for the awesome features of the BB. The full keyboard is enough to justify my use. Opera mini is enough as well. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:03 AM   #16
el_sheepo

Model: 8820
Carrier: -

It is now possible to activate the BlackBerry browser without a BB data plan, thanks to the incredible work of some Vietnamese BB genius.

Have a look at this:

sites(dot)google(dot)com/site/blackberrywithoutbisbes/Home

It sounds a bit complicated but is really easy to do if you use the tool that can be downloaded from the page. Just make sure you have a backup of your BB in the unlikely case something goes wrong.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #17
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Worms

I chatted with AT&T at length about their generic data plan, i.e., Media Net. I have a BB Curve and my daughter has a Palm Centro. AT&T wanted to sell me the BB data plan, $30 month + the PDA data plan for the Palm $30 month, and would not talk about any Media Net options [$15 per month]. Therefore, this thread, and the FAQ on generic data plans is very interesting to me. Thanks all.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #18
lunisneko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post

Rather brash generalization, is it not? Perhaps he doesn't want to deal with Windows CE on Blackjack? Perhaps he likes the layout of the home screen? Who really cares. Just because he doesn't have the money to blow on the bloated BB plan prices that some carriers have doesn't make him any less deserving of a Blackberry. And honestly, if you just like your BB because of the branded features, then you're a pretty silly kinda person. ;)
Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #19
cbrock84

Just a bit of info you may find useful:

I have a Pearl 8100 through AT&T without any data/sms plan whatsoever except for the pay per usage and I was unable to send/receive MMS messages or use the BB browser with the original OS.

After upgrading to the latest OS posted here about a month ago, I am now able to use the MediaNet browser as well as Opera Mini, and I can also send/receive MMS pics/videos/audio. The only thing still missing is Blackberry Messenger.

Last edited by cbrock84; 11-12-2008 at 01:59 PM..
Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #20
cbrock84

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyeall View Post
So I see that I also wouldn't be able to send pictures via multimedia messaging either?
You should be able to use MMS if you upgrade to the latest OS.
Closed Thread