BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
ruechel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default Can you unlock a VERIZON 8830 World Edition?

Please Login to Remove!

My friend has one of those red 8830 World Edition BB's locked to VERIZON. I know it's a GSM phone despite VERIZON being largely CDMA based. I looked up the phone at gsmphonesource but i think it says they don't unlock this baby. Anyone know why? and b) it there an alternative way to do this, i.e. another company that will do it?

Thanks much in advance for your help.

Nick
Old 05-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, but you have to call Verizon to get it unlocked. There was a thread that had the phone number and exactly what to say and to whom. Might need to search around a little to find it.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8330)

Sprint has the 8830 only in black and it is already unlocked by the carrier when it ships.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
AlohaDan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: verizon wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruechel View Post
My friend has one of those red 8830 World Edition BB's locked to VERIZON. I know it's a GSM phone despite VERIZON being largely CDMA based. I looked up the phone at gsmphonesource but i think it says they don't unlock this baby. Anyone know why? and b) it there an alternative way to do this, i.e. another company that will do it?

Thanks much in advance for your help.
Just for clarification - I have the red Verizon 8830 world and it is CDMA. The GSM part is by inserting a SIM card, you will be able to use the phone overseas which is prevalently GSM. The lock part is that you can only use a Verizon SIM card. If unlocked, then you can use other carriers SIM card and account when overseas.

Now the question came up if you could use an unlocked SIM card from a US based carrier (i.e ATT), to enable the phone to be used for calls, etc. in the US. The answer is NO at the moment. The GSM frequency that Verizon uses is not the same frequency used by US GSM carriers

Aloha!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
RSchine

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Unlocking the Verizon Blackberry 8830

Unlocking the Verizon Blackberry 8830 is no longer a problem. Just call Verizon Interntional Technical Support at 800-711-8300 or 803-400-4456. The tech staff retrieves the unlock code for your SIM card from their database and talks you through the steps. There is no fee. I just did this today; it takes only a couple of minutes.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
ruechel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchine View Post
Unlocking the Verizon Blackberry 8830 is no longer a problem. Just call Verizon Interntional Technical Support at 800-711-8300 or 803-400-4456. The tech staff retrieves the unlock code for your SIM card from their database and talks you through the steps. There is no fee. I just did this today; it takes only a couple of minutes.
Unlocking is not the point. we already have established that it can be unlocked for INTERNATIONAL use but it doesn't seem to be working if you try to put a TMO or AT&T Sim card in there as i was told that the local GSM frequencies differ from the one compatible with this model.

correct me if I am still wrong here.

Nick
Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

That is correct. You can't use the GSM portion of an 8830 in the US or Canada or Mexico.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
hinky

Model: 8300
Carrier: Verizon Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That is correct. You can't use the GSM portion of an 8830 in the US or Canada or Mexico.
Just to add, the reason is because the US/CA and Mexico use different bands than the radio provides. The US uses 850 and 1900 MHz. The rest of the world uses 900 and 1800 MHz Bands. Since your phone only has the latter, it has no capability to work in North America.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
brewkatz

Default Unlocking my Verizon 8830 was very easy!

I called the 1-908-559-4899 number and explained I was going to Europe. You must have a Verizon SIM card for the unlock procedure. They sent it to me at no charge, as far as I know. It hasn't shown up as an online charge yet?

I inserted it and called them from my home home. I read the agent the SIM# and within 2 minutes he updated the data for my account. I also had him activate it for use.

Within 3 minutes he had transfered me to another agent. She gave me the 8 digit code, I hung up and followed this procedure-
  • Went to Settings Menu - Options
  • Selected Advanced Options - SIM Card
  • Typed MEPD on the keyboard, but didn't see any textd
  • Type MEP, then the ALT button, then 2 (again didn't see any text)
  • A prompt came up "Enter Network MEP Code". Typed in the unlock code, then pressed the track wheel.
  • My phone is now unlocked.

My wife then called me from our home phone and it rang. I didn't answer because I wasn't clear on the charges, if any.

I removed the Verizon SIM card and inserted the Vodaphone SIM card I bought from International SIM Cards from GOSIM™ - cheap mobile calls from abroad. I entered the PIN and was able to access it OK also. She called again, but my phone didn't ring. She did get my Euro voicemail. I'm fully confident it will work when we land in Frankfurt next Thursday. I will be able to use either phone number, depending on which SIM card is inserted.

I will call next Tuesday and activate my extended data option. It will be pro-rated at $64.95\per month. I'll use it for just over 3 weeks, then call and cancel it when I return.

It was all SO easy! I'd have to give Veri$on an A+ on this one. Now if they'd just let me use my GPS feature ...
Old 10-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
watsbox

Thumbs up Thanks for the Great Assist

Outstanding!!! I called in on Sunday to the Global Support Group. Told the woman that I needed my Blackberry 8830 World Edition unlocked as one of my visits will be providing me a SIM on their corporate account. Not a problem. The agent took about 10 minutes and we were done!!!!

I am now a VERY HAPPY CAMPER....
(Thanks to RSchine and brewkatz for the great info...)
Closed Thread