BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t
Default Thinking about Jumping ship (from Verizon to Tmobile)??

Please Login to Remove!

I am thinking about leaving Verizon. They are just too damn expensive and they
cripple every phone. We currently pay about 160 dollars per month (incl. taxes and fees) for two lines with 1400 minutes and one blackberry plan..THAT'S IT!

I can go to Tmobile and get TWO!!, that's right TWO unlimited blackberry plans and 700 shared minutes with the 5 favorites ( for calls to any network) deal for 100 bucks....

Someone tell me why I should not jump ship and save about 38% per month off of my current verizon setup and GET MORE..

Is Tmobile really still that bad that I need to be sticking with Verizon...I am in NYC, so I should not have to worry about coverage?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
controlair
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BES
Carrier: AT&T

yes T-Mobile is still bad. Please trust me. I manage 330 cellular lines under Cingular at work and I probably have spent 100 more times of time and effort than you did, considering to jump ship to T-Mobile. We even open 10 lines and compare everything side by side with Cingular lines.

The result it, T-Mobile sucks in reception, sound quality, coverage, data, how often calls got dropped or don't receive phone call when the signal bar shows full. I gaurantee it will be the beginnign of nightmare if you switch.

Well, speaking of GPRS there is almost no difference than Cingular, but they are very late in implemanting 3G netowrk.

Click on this link to see news:
(I am not allowed to post URL before I have made 10 posts, but go to cnet dot com, and seach news by this thread: T-Mobile outlines plans for 3G network
Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Hmm.. well, I am not in New Yark City, but I have TMo and have had since they entered the market down here (10 yrs plus) and don't have a problem with them. I get a call dropped here and there due to the hilly nature of our city, driving through cuts in the mountain, etc., but overall good service. I have a co-worker I travel with who has Verizon and we often compare signal strength, reception, etc., and there's really very little difference between us.

But then again, this is Alabama--not New York City. We could just have a more advanced network down here.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Looking at coverages in general, both Cingular and Verizon have better coverage than T-Mo. That being said, T-Mo usually does fine in the major metropolitan areas, so my guess is it should be good in NYC. I know my Cingular BB works well in the city in most areas. You do get an occaisional lost signal due tot he tall buildings, but those are few and far between.

But you also need to look at where you live and where you travel. Make sure T-Mo is good there also. Low rates and sexy phones do you no good if you don't have service.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
WIKID3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: PEARL
Carrier: VZW

I'm in the D.C. area and I can tell you that I dropped Cingular to get T- Mobile. The coverage is very similar, but my T-Mobile phone is a little better in my estimation. My wife and son have Verizon and it is good, very good...but I haven't run into situations where my phone hasn't worked. I travel periodically, in West Va. 2 weeks ago and it worked fine, in Roanoke last week and it worked fine. T-Mobile is not the same service it was 5 or 6 years ago...they have obviously improved. I too manage my company phones and we have contracts with Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. Sprint is the only carrier we have issues with and therefore will be losing 70 phones in December. Take a test run for 14 days, don't port your number until you feel that T-Mobile will work for you. Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Go to T-Mobile.com and do a coverage check for the areas you use your phone in most frequently-industry analyists have given this some very high praise for being an accuarte and honest assesment of T-mobile coverage.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
drgoodtymes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
PIN: 30D4E281
Carrier: Sprint

I know this doesn't help much, but out here in California and in my drive across half the country from California to Kansas, T-Mobile beat out Verizon hands down in over all coverage. Plus you can't beat the cost. IMHO T-Mobile is the way to go, and I sell both Carrier's out of my store.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5bVFduTRM
Old 10-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
kevinmg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

i just switched from Verizon to TMO - to me, TMO wins hands down. it actually has better reception at my home in WI and in Chicago, and everyone is telling me my calls are much clearer now than they were with VZW...oh, and i'm also saving $35/mn over VZW - so i agree, Verizon is just plain expensive - and in my experience, less reliable.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
jungleland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKID3
I'm in the D.C. area and I can tell you that I dropped Cingular to get T- Mobile. The coverage is very similar, but my T-Mobile phone is a little better in my estimation. My wife and son have Verizon and it is good, very good...but I haven't run into situations where my phone hasn't worked. I travel periodically, in West Va. 2 weeks ago and it worked fine, in Roanoke last week and it worked fine. T-Mobile is not the same service it was 5 or 6 years ago...they have obviously improved. I too manage my company phones and we have contracts with Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. Sprint is the only carrier we have issues with and therefore will be losing 70 phones in December.
Take a test run for 14 days, don't port your number until you feel that T-Mobile will work for you. Good Luck.

the only problem is that if you put more than 30 minutes on the phone, then you have to pay for it...Or is there a way to clear the call timer on the BB? I know I can do it on my 7130e and 8703e, but, on the pearl, you can do that too, no?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
WIKID3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
the only problem is that if you put more than 30 minutes on the phone, then you have to pay for it...Or is there a way to clear the call timer on the BB? I know I can do it on my 7130e and 8703e, but, on the pearl, you can do that too, no?
I don't think that is true with T-Mobile, I may be wrong I will let the experts advise. I think that is true for Rogers Wireless, and I know Nextel use to be like that but I don't think T-Mobile is. I'm sure that someone with more knowledge than me can answer that for you....stay tuned.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
kasperapd

Model: 9700

I made the jump from Verizon to T-Mobile. I too was tired of paying $45 a month for unlimited data when I could get it for $20 a month at T-Mobile. Now I understand that EDGE is not nearly as fast as EVDO, but I just lightly surf the web, and primarily use it for email and other messaging services. I made the switch and was able to get my wife a BB with unlimited data, and its still cheaper than what I was paying on Verizon for one BB. I don't have to worry much about coverage since I'm in a large city, all carriers have pretty good coverage here. I'd say that if you have good coverage where you're going to need it, and the EDGE/EVDO speed difference doesn't matter to you, then make the switch. It may be worth paying the early term fees, or if you have had lots of problems like I had, we complained enough that they refunded us the early term fees.

Please try a Search
Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
jungleland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd
I made the jump from Verizon to T-Mobile. I too was tired of paying $45 a month for unlimited data when I could get it for $20 a month at T-Mobile. Now I understand that EDGE is not nearly as fast as EVDO, but I just lightly surf the web, and primarily use it for email and other messaging services. I made the switch and was able to get my wife a BB with unlimited data, and its still cheaper than what I was paying on Verizon for one BB. I don't have to worry much about coverage since I'm in a large city, all carriers have pretty good coverage here. I'd say that if you have good coverage where you're going to need it, and the EDGE/EVDO speed difference doesn't matter to you, then make the switch. It may be worth paying the early term fees, or if you have had lots of problems like I had,
we complained enough that they refunded us the early term fees.

yes, but the problem now is that they are saying that if they even grant me the early termination for the major and still yet un fixed problems I have had with multiple blackberrys, that they will just excuse my early term fee, not my GF's..and we are on a family share plan...WTF? are they kidding?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
kasperapd

Model: 9700

I had several lines on a family plan, only one was a BB, and they excused all of them.

Please try a Search
Old 10-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #14
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
I don't even understand what you are saying here. There is no special charge on T-Mobile for calls over 30 minutes, if that is what you are saying. I regularly will talk on my T-Mobile line for over an hour, and if I don't use up my anytime minutes, then there is no extra charge. In fact, between my 1000 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, I have yet to have a T-Mobile bill that was a penny over the base rate.

As far as the main topic goes, it is really going to depend on coverage in your area. I have been with T-Mobile since 2002, and I have yet to have a single dropped call. I have had a few calls that started getting garbled, and I had to hang-up and call back, but I have never seen a single mobile provider where that never ever happened. I have, however, never had it drop a call. That said, here in LA, the T-Mobile coverage is pretty solid just about everywhere except the areas where no one gets signal, like the subway or in some of the valleys between hills.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #15
shaqinsactown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Verizon

If you live on the west coast you should pick Cingular, if you're on the east coast pick T-Mobile. If you care about getting the fastest data network then pick Cingular or Verizon. If you care strictly about costs then get T-Mobile, they are probably the cheapest blackberry solution around, but you may get spotty coverage. There is a valid reason why they are the first to jump on the UMA bandwagon... because they know their coverage is spotty.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #16
WIKID3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmlloyd
I don't even understand what you are saying here. There is no special charge on T-Mobile for calls over 30 minutes, if that is what you are saying. I regularly will talk on my T-Mobile line for over an hour, and if I don't use up my anytime minutes, then there is no extra charge. In fact, between my 1000 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, I have yet to have a T-Mobile bill that was a penny over the base rate.

As far as the main topic goes, it is really going to depend on coverage in your area. I have been with T-Mobile since 2002, and I have yet to have a single dropped call. I have had a few calls that started getting garbled, and I had to hang-up and call back, but I have never seen a single mobile provider where that never ever happened. I have, however, never had it drop a call. That said, here in LA, the T-Mobile coverage is pretty solid just about everywhere except the areas where no one gets signal, like the subway or in some of the valleys between hills.
Let me clarify: Back in the day, I know this to be true with Nextel.....you had 14 days to try service, BUT you couldn't exceed 30 minutes of air time or you would have to purchase the phone. I believed Nextel was the last carrier to drop this ridiculous program, but read recently that Rogers may still do this. That is what he meant by his statement of 30 minutes. Back on topic.....
Old 10-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #17
jungleland

Quote:
Let me clarify: Back in the day, I know this to be true with Nextel.....you had 14 days to try service, BUT you couldn't exceed 30 minutes of air time or you would have to purchase the phone. I believed Nextel was the last carrier to drop this ridiculous program, but read recently that Rogers may still do this. That is what he meant by his statement of 30 minutes. Back on topic.....

correct...However, this 30 minute restriction is imposed by wirefly.com, not tmobile..I can get the pearl there for free..
Old 10-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #18
WIKID3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay, in that case take a look at T-Mobile's site and review the coverage map. You can even put your home address in to see what kind of reception you would have. If it looks good buy the phone from wirefly. I think you will be okay. Do you have any friends on T-Mobile? Maybe you could ask them how it works in your area.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #19
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e

Quote:
T-Mobile is not the same service it was 5 or 6 years ago...they have obviously improved.
Right. Some folks aren't aware that T-Mobile grew its network coverage by 56% last year just by signing roaming agreements with other carriers. It's still bringing up 1000+ new towers of its own every quarter.

IMO, there isn't a significant difference in coverage between any of the top carriers now, which is probably why they're running ads about the reliability of their networks now vs. "how large" they area.

This week T-Mobile ditched it's "Get More" slogan, so I'm wondering if they're planning on upping their prices??
Old 10-07-2006, 03:17 AM   #20
jattila4
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I have T-Mobile and Love it. I live in a smallll town, with no T-Mobile in it. Closest one is 2 hours away. I get perfect reception, full bars almost everywhere in my town, and edge everywhere. I pay a great rate and get great customer service. I say go for T-Mo! Plus you save so much money.
Closed Thread