Old 05-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Hazarrd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Default 8830 Without Internet - Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I've got the 8830 with unlimited data. A family member wants the 8830 but doesn't want any data plan. I just got a call from him saying that he went into a Verizon store to get the 8830 but the rep. told him that he "must" get at least the minimum data plan because the phone uses 5mb a month even if you are only making phone calls.

That sounds like a load of BS to me. Does anyone know if there is any validity to this?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazarrd View Post
I've got the 8830 with unlimited data. A family member wants the 8830 but doesn't want any data plan. I just got a call from him saying that he went into a Verizon store to get the 8830 but the rep. told him that he "must" get at least the minimum data plan because the phone uses 5mb a month even if you are only making phone calls.

That sounds like a load of BS to me. Does anyone know if there is any validity to this?

Thanks.
Yep he is shoveling it your way! If you do not order a data plan it will not use any BB data. You should still be able to use the PDA funtions, phone and maybe SMS. No internet, email or other BB services.

The guy just wants to sell a data plan!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

He wants to sell a data plan, or he's not allowed to sell it without a data plan?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
mccoyboy2

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default data plan on verizon

Ok, I just had the exact same issue.
I bought a Blackberry 8830 from Verizon. The signed me up for a data plan so I could get $100 off the phone.

I called a few days later to cancel the data plan since I dont use the Internet or Email services on my phone.

I called a couple different times, and all of the customer service reps told me that you are required to have a data plan if you own a blackberry. I didn't think this was really true though.

I called again today and the rep removed my plan with no problem. She just switched it to a "Pay As You Go" plan, which is .015 cents per kilobyte.

So then I went into my Blackberry settings, and turned the data plan feature "OFF".

I don't think I'll have a problem now.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Can you use text messaging without the data plan.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Can you use text messaging without the data plan.
AFAIK, text messages are SMS and count under your text messaging plan or cost 15 cents each. Doesn't use data.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #7
dbdynsty25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
AFAIK, text messages are SMS and count under your text messaging plan or cost 15 cents each. Doesn't use data.
Correct. Completely separate from the data plan. Which is a point of contention for me anyway...why the hell don't they count as part of the data plan when you have a PDA and unlimited data? Dumb.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
SpectreBlofeld
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Allow me to provide some clarification...

Yes, it is technically possible to activate a Blackberry without a data plan.

However, Verizon and the other carriers have a contractual agreement with Blackberry wherein the data plan must be attached to a Blackberry sale (as RIM gets a cut of the data package). So don't be too hard on the sales rep that insists you subscribe to a data plan. They're really legally obligated to do so due to their agreement with Blackberry.
Closed Thread