Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
andrews240
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default File sync issues

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everybody. I decided to give Unite! a test run. This will come in handy since when I get my next BB (hopefully Bold, maybe Javelin) I will be passing my 8100 on to my daughter. I am having some issues that I would appreciate any and all help with. My problems are:

1) File syncing, and any other syncing for that matter, doesn't seem to be working at all. I get the pop-up balloon with "Unite! sync error" when I connect my BB through USB. The error balloon only comes up the first time I connect my BB after a PC reboot, there is no visual confirmation that Unite! is doing anything with sub-sequential connects. I created the BB SD card folder hierarchy and tried putting some test files in the "To BB" folders on the PC and it never gets synced.

2) I added a contact through the shared contacts option in the admin portal and it never got synced. I guess this could be normal since only my phone has been added and therefore there's no others to share with. Is that the case?

3) IE7 crash when I try to open the BB Unite Web Admin portal. It will open fine if I right click and run as admin. Is this by design?

4) I learned through these fine forums that Unite! doesn't sync with Outlook (which may be the deal breaker). Is there anywhere that my BB's contacts database sync to that I can manage from my PC or at least confirm that new contacts are actually being synced?

The only way that I know that it's working at all is the Download manager on the handset connects, views and downloads files from my PC perfectly.

Unite! shows lots of promise with it's feature set and I'm sure that with time there will be even more features added that make it a must have.

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
andrews240

I have an update.

I decided to reinstall Unite! and I just noticed 2 things afterwards:

1) On the BB Enterprise Activation is stuck at 15%

2) On my PC (Vista) when I alt+tab there is a window for Unite Update Monitor(UUM) in the background. There is no visible window for it other than on that alt+tab showcase. And this is the weird part, the alt+tab showcase is legible enough for me to read the contents of the UUM window and it says "An update for Blackberry Unite software is now available. Would you like to install it now?". I can't find a way to bring this window to the front to accept it. Can anyone figure this on out?

Last edited by andrews240; 07-08-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Old 07-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
andrews240

OK, I've got everything up and running now. I can't really pinpoint exactly what the problem was, so I will just give a rundown of what I did.

I decided to uninstall Unite! and every trace of SQL in my Programs and Features panel. I also had to manually delete the Unite! database files, mdf and ldf if I remember correctly, before Unite! would finish installing (thanks log files). After reinstalling Unite! and the included SQL Server 2005 express, for some reason, everything was broken. The Download Manager on the handset ceased to connect to my PC anymore, which was the only thing that was working before. So at this point nothing worked.

So I did, what would be, my last uninstall/install of Unite! regardless the of the outcome. The only things that I can think of that I may have done differently was:

1) I used my @tmo.blackberry.net email at the initial registration screen(the one with the image verification). I used a POP email on the attempt that broke everything but on all prior attempts I used my @tmo.blackberry.net email.

2) I left my BB connected throughout the process.

That's it. After that I setup my email with a POP email address and patiently watched as the handset activation completed.

Everything went smoothly. As stated, my BB was connected throughout the process and I used the BB's direct email during registration. Should either of those things matter enough to cause the issues that I was having?

Thank you to everyone who as much as scratched their heads on this one for me. That, in itself, is appreciated.

Tony
Old 08-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
kromega

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews240 View Post
2) On my PC (Vista) when I alt+tab there is a window for Unite Update Monitor(UUM) in the background. There is no visible window for it other than on that alt+tab showcase. And this is the weird part, the alt+tab showcase is legible enough for me to read the contents of the UUM window and it says "An update for Blackberry Unite software is now available. Would you like to install it now?". I can't find a way to bring this window to the front to accept it. Can anyone figure this on out?
Hi,
Did you sort that out ? I've the same on XP SP2.

Fabien
Old 08-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
andrews240

No, I never did figure that out. One day the pop-under actually found its way to the front but it wasn't the last time that I had the problem. I have since wiped the BB and uninstalled the Unite software all together.
Closed Thread