Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
dmevis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Storm Resets

Please Login to Remove!

Just got my new Storm (9530). It came from Verizion with their newer OS version (.75 ?).

I did a search and found lots about Resets, but they were older posts regarding the initial OS release.

I spent about an hour playing with the new phone with no problems. I plugged in the USB cable and it Reset.

I immediately updated the OS to the .113 version. The upgrade went smoothly.

In the last 24 hours since the upgrade to .113 my phone has reset about 6 times. Twice when downloading files from the Internet. Several times when doing nothing at all.

Are others having problems with Resets on the .113 OS? Is there a more stable version (regarding Resets)?

Any other ideas, or should I just throw this POS through the window of my local Verizon store???
Old 04-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
ocgreenmachine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
Just got my new Storm (9530). It came from Verizion with their newer OS version (.75 ?).

I did a search and found lots about Resets, but they were older posts regarding the initial OS release.

I spent about an hour playing with the new phone with no problems. I plugged in the USB cable and it Reset.

In the last 24 hours since the upgrade to .113 my phone has reset about 6 times. Twice when downloading files from the Internet. Several times when doing nothing at all.

Are others having problems with Resets on the .113 OS? Is there a more stable version (regarding Resets)?

Any other ideas, or should I just throw this POS through the window of my local Verizon store???
What 3rd party apps are yoy running? Also, check in Options>memory and see how much free app memory you have... I've noticed that usually when my phone resets, it is due to memory running down to 0. I'm running .114 hybrid v3 and I rarely get reboots... I've never had .113. I jumped from .109 to .114h v3.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
jdk2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 3101F549
Carrier: VZW

Quote:

This phone isn't exactly the most stable device around. Reboots are unfortunately a real concern for many owners. Sometimes it's caused by too little app memory due to not closing programs properly or poorly written code in applications that drain memory excessively.

You can try and use the Close or Exit command when leaving a program rather than using the red End button. That will ensure that your programs have been properly closed, freeing up app memory in the process.

The official .75 OS was full of lag and generally considered slow. Upgrading to the newer betas does come with issues, though reboots are usually much less frequent except as noted above.

If all else fails, you could try to reinstall the OS. You may have gotten a corrupt version. Try a different download location.

Please let us know. The phone really does have a lot of potential. It's just frustrating at times.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3053D7B3
Carrier: Verizon

have you seen any such app that can allow you to "force close" running processes and applications?

my "remindermanager" process keeps freaking out and i need to crash it...the OS eventually kills it automatically, but only after an automatic event triggers the OS to catch the out of control process...until then my phone goes so terribly slow it's unusable
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
stricni
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon wireless

there is supposed to be a new software cumming to your storm. you will be able to find -it in options- -advanced options-wireless upgrade. the software you used is not approved by verizon yet and Ive seen it fry a storm before. the best thing to do is wait until you get the approved vzw software. the phone is sluggish and this should definitely improve it.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
dmevis

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Default I can not believe how unstable this phone is

Thanks to all for the responses, but low memory due to open applications was not the problem. In fact, I had Zero 3rd party applications installed, and as a long-time Blackberry user, I am well aware of how to close applications.

Well, after the numerous Resets with .113, I installed V3. Still have Resets (but fewer) and now the added bonus of a HUGE Memory Leak. Watched my memory drop from 48MB to 20MB over the course of several hours.

But wait, there's more... After the last reset, it is suddenly acting completely differently. Battery life is much better... Memory Leak is much better.

It should be illegal to sell a device that is this unstable. Is there a Class-Action lawsuit against RIM that I can join???
Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
ProfitTower

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon OS .151

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricni View Post
there is supposed to be a new software cumming to your storm. you will be able to find -it in options- -advanced options-wireless upgrade. the software you used is not approved by verizon yet and Ive seen it fry a storm before. the best thing to do is wait until you get the approved vzw software. the phone is sluggish and this should definitely improve it.
When the upgrade comes out and you upgrade this way, do you still have to back up your phone? As with others, I am unable to back up/sync my phone. I haven't tried all the tricks that others have mentioned yet. Waiting for the official upgrade, then I'll start messing around with it
Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
jdk2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 3101F549
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitTower View Post
When the upgrade comes out and you upgrade this way, do you still have to back up your phone? As with others, I am unable to back up/sync my phone. I haven't tried all the tricks that others have mentioned yet. Waiting for the official upgrade, then I'll start messing around with it
Can you be more specific when you say you can't back-up or sync your phone? What happens? Are you on a Mac or PC?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Jacobsaby
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Ask

Quote:
Thanks to all for the responses, but low memory due to open applications was not the problem. In fact, I had Zero 3rd party applications installed, and as a long-time Blackberry user, I am well aware of how to close applications.

Well, after the numerous Resets with .113, I installed V3. Still have Resets (but fewer) and now the added bonus of a HUGE Memory Leak. Watched my memory drop from 48MB to 20MB over the course of several hours.

But wait, there's more... After the last reset, it is suddenly acting completely differently. Battery life is much better... Memory Leak is much better.

It should be illegal to sell a device that is this unstable. Is there a Class-Action lawsuit against RIM that I can join???
Well...I'm fairly certain the terms of any class action lawsuit against a phone (lol) would probably have a clause stating that any custom unapproved OS' that were loaded voids any warranty and therefore participation in any lawsuit.
Sounds like your .113 install went bad.
Restore to .75 and try again. Clear your cache before you upgrade.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
ProfitTower

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon OS .151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
Can you be more specific when you say you can't back-up or sync your phone? What happens? Are you on a Mac or PC?
When I connect to my PC it starts to sync and then pops up a box that says unable to sync to phone. When I try to back up the phone it usually just stops. I haven't tried clearing the cache or cookies yet. I was just waiting for the new OS to come out, then I would figure it out. Currently I use .75.. Getting semi anxious to upgrade, but I really haven't had any big problems to speak off. Just figured I wait till the actual real OS upgrade comes out.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgreenmachine View Post
What 3rd party apps are yoy running? Also, check in Options>memory and see how much free app memory you have... I've noticed that usually when my phone resets, it is due to memory running down to 0. I'm running .114 hybrid v3 and I rarely get reboots... I've never had .113. I jumped from .109 to .114h v3.
.114 hybrid v3?!?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

well, i think many devices have been released unstable in the past...but i agree it's not very cool to give us devices that don't work very well after being sold on their capabilities

it might be so much of a memory leak as memory being used for some reason...background processes are running all the time and the underlying OS could provide some new features that are using more java objects requiring more memory...

i'd say see if the memory stabilizes at some level and go from there...if it continues to use all the memory to 0, then i'm not sure...i think that RIM should have utilized the 1 GB onboard memory for apps that way we'd have more system memory available to keep it from crashing...geez
Closed Thread