Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
bradg33

Model: 700wx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default From full QWERTY to Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone gone from a full QWERTY phone (Treo,etc) to a Pearl? If so, any problems getting used to it? I'm thinking about going from a Treo 700WX to a T-Mobile Pearl. I'm open for any comments, suggestions, etc. regarding the change.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: Blue, Ball point
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Yes...I currently have BOTH the 8830 and the Pearl.
One day learning curve. I promise. The biggest issue is breaking one habit, and creating another. If "sure-type" didn't work, Blackberry wouldn't use it.

Trust me..All is good!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I went from a 7520 to a 7100 then to a 7130e it took me about a week maybe to master it. I think I can actually type faster on the sure type than the full now. I am back to a full sized but am considering the pearl again.

The key is to let the device learn your style dont correct it during the typing let it do its work.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
The key is to let the device learn your style dont correct it during the typing let it do its work.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Good advice DAWG!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

With out a doubt! I took about a week to become proficient with Pearl! I can type faster on pearl!

I flip flop between devices 8800 and pearl
Old 12-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vZwire View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. Good advice DAWG!!!
Thats how I was told lol I cant take credit for the advice
Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

Today was my first day with a new Pearl after a year with qwerty BBs (8703e and 8830). Got the hang of it in about an hour or two. You really need to fight the urge to look at the screen while you're typing and all will be well!

The biggest challenge for me so far has been proper names. But after you put them in a time or two, SureType learns!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
dbabe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I went from a full QWERTY [Sidekick.. eek!] to the Pearl and it took me a few days to fully get used to it, but the learning function on these phones really is amazing [I rarely have to correct the Sure-Type now unless I'm typing names, etc. that I know have a longshot at being right].

If you do get a Pearl, just make sure you clean out your Custom Word List every so often only because it can pickup some typos that can become rather annoying. I love the Sure-Type though and once you get the hang of it, you'll love it too!

Good luck with your decision! However I do not see any reason why you shouldn't switch over to the Pearl!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livspop View Post
Today was my first day with a new Pearl after a year with qwerty BBs (8703e and 8830). Got the hang of it in about an hour or two. You really need to fight the urge to look at the screen while you're typing and all will be well!

The biggest challenge for me so far has been proper names. But after you put them in a time or two, SureType learns!
how was it compared to the 8703e, I am seriously considering it.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T

Well I went from a treo to the pearl, and the key board is not the issue per se it is that dog gone sure type. I HATE IT. Three days and I hate it hate it hate it. It still does not learn the words, it will not let me just type the words, and if I could figure out how to turn it off I would.

I would tell anyone that uses it to turn it off. It is one of the worst features I have ever seen on a phone.

Honestly, my whole BB experience has been frustrating, this just ads to it. Like when I am trying to type no problem and it goes not, night now and then for problem it goes to profile, professional, then when I finally get it to prob it goes back to earn? I dont get it, and it does not seem to make typing faster, just the opposite.

But the keyboards is not that big of an issue in size, from a full size.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #11
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post

This is almost impossible to do, you have to correct it. My favorite is when it doubles the first letter and is trying to put a word for that, yeah that is just frustrating. you HAVE to correct the thing, like when I put in words that are on the same key, for example the word same..yeah it really messes it up.

Is the sure type better on a full qwerty keyboard, like the world phone? I am ready to switch after only a week.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
dbabe

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastdog View Post
Like when I am trying to type no problem and it goes not, night now and then for problem it goes to profile, professional, then when I finally get it to prob it goes back to earn? I dont get it, and it does not seem to make typing faster, just the opposite.
I think I'm a little confused with how this is possible? How does prob go to earn if P and E aren't even on the same key?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastdog View Post
This is almost impossible to do, you have to correct it. My favorite is when it doubles the first letter and is trying to put a word for that, yeah that is just frustrating. you HAVE to correct the thing, like when I put in words that are on the same key, for example the word same..yeah it really messes it up.

Is the sure type better on a full qwerty keyboard, like the world phone? I am ready to switch after only a week.
You sound like the exception...most people pick it up quick. And eventually, like someone said earlier, it will learn your most used words, and eventually type what you want.

I'd bet you watch it as you type. If the second letter of a seven letter word does not type right, DO NOT TRY TO CORRECT IT, instead push on...you'd be surprised that it will spell what you want correctly.

Secondly, and I mean no disrespect here, are you a good speller? My brother is a business exec and can't spell. This would cause HUGE issues for sure-type. It will never guess what you are trying to type.

Or, just get a full QWERTY, and problem solved.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbabe View Post
I think I'm a little confused with how this is possible? How does prob go to earn if P and E aren't even on the same key?
That is the problem
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbabe View Post
Giving you the benefit of the doubt...I tried it.

And on the first time:

"no problem"

I didn't have to fix anything. My guess is that more than once you typed the incorrect spelling, and now it has memorized your error??? I dunno.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #16
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

You have to remember that SureType is actually based more on math and probability than spelling and grammar. The system is designed so that it knows if a certain number of keys are struck in a certain order that the probability is that it is meant to be a specific word. More than 9 times out of 10 it gets the word right unless you have hit the wrong key somewhere during the process.

It's actually pretty amazing, when you think about it. That's why sometimes when you press certain keys, the combination that ends up on the screen will not make sense. That's why you CAN'T watch the screen when you type. If you see what seems like a "wacky" combination of letters and go back and try to "fix" it before you've struck all of the key combinations that make up the word you're trying to type, you'll be screwed.

For instance, if I'm trying to type "happiness" and look at the screen after I've typed "hap," it will actually say "gap." If I say, "oh, crap, this thing is screwing up" and quit typing, it will take me forever to go back and fix it. But if I just keep hitting the key combinations without looking - voila - the word "happiness" will result. SureType knows that when I hit the second "p" that "gap" is no longer really an option. Then as I hit more keys, the system narrows down the possibilities, based on probability.

Does that make any sense?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #17
ryang4938

Model: 8300
PIN: 24061D18
Carrier: cingular

i have used a qwerty keyboard for the past two years (treo). I have tried to switch back to a regular phone but could not do it. Finally, a few weeks ago i switched over to a pearl. i have never been so happy. i can still type fairly efficiently and my pockets are no longer weighted down by the huge treo. Now, it does take some time to get use to it, but I think you will be very happy if you do decide to switch.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #18
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by livspop View Post

Does that make any sense?
You make perfect sense. You explained it very well...
Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #19
sevendx7

Carrier: Sprint

I have used treo's and PPC devices for the last 2 years. I picked up my 8130 yesterday, and it took about an hour to be typing faster than I could on a full qwerty. My device was given to me by a blackberry corporate trainer, and he said that in tests they routinely clock people at 55-60 WPM using suretype. I've still got a ways to go before I hit that mark...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #20
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Well I cry uncle

LOL I think it is a great thing folks are working this smart type down, I am just to much of an "A" Type personality for it. I trully think that the double tap keys are what is messing me up. I am going to go exchange this phone in for another BB. One with a full keyboard, and a 2.5 mm jack, and a real case.....

And I think that I am a fairly good linguist!
Closed Thread