BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #41
igetchoo

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

I downloaded the program and it seems to work pretty well. Though I have a question and I think I have uncovered a bug.

I have a BB 8800 using v.0.962 I created a track and at the end I tried to upload it to the account. It went through the upload process and everything seemed fine because it went back to the screen listing all of my tracks. When I tried to scroll to another screen the program crashed saying "Uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException". As well the icon listing my saved track had a yellow ! on it.

The question I had was I am trying to find a program to map out a large group of trails near my home. I wanted to start walking all of them and basically build a map from it, but as well tell me where I am on the map. Can this program do that for me?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #42
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Since the last update of gpsed, I cannot get it to function correctly. Most times it cannot find the gps (a puck) or if it does, it does not do any tracking even though I start tracking.

It worked fine prior to this version.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #43
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I guess I was not clear - in the prior version of gpsed, I could look over an older track and view its properties. Distance, etc. Using the Media, all I get is its name but none of its GPS properties.
I can see your point now. That is true that after reinstallation track properties do not show up. Let me clarify: tracks are saved as files on the device or Memory card. Track properties are saved in the application. So if you reinstall the application, track properties will not be displayed in the new version. You can avoid this by uploading your tracks to the web service, track properties will be saved there.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #44
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcw View Post
I can't comment on 1 & 3, but I also experienced 2. I think you can select imperial units, but that only changes the actual units name, not what it is calculating in, ie it will say miles, but be measuring in km.
Calculating the distance will be corrected with the next release in a few days.
Sorry for this inconvenience.

Quote:
I tried to put this on a couple of times during a golf game and for some reason or another the GPS connection drops. Is there some reason why it won't reconnect. Even exiting the software and restarting, then selecting continue track will often fail.
Connection can be lost by different reasons that might not be necessary related to the software.
When the connection is lost, the track stops and it cannot be continued.

Quote:
I don't see the 'allow others to see my location' option.
When you login to GPSEd.com there is a Settings option in the right upper corner. You can check or uncheck the box "Allow other users to view my current/last position"

Last edited by SHAPE; 06-05-2008 at 08:28 AM..
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #45
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by igetchoo View Post
I downloaded the program and it seems to work pretty well. Though I have a question and I think I have uncovered a bug.

I have a BB 8800 using v.0.962 I created a track and at the end I tried to upload it to the account. It went through the upload process and everything seemed fine because it went back to the screen listing all of my tracks. When I tried to scroll to another screen the program crashed saying "Uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException". As well the icon listing my saved track had a yellow ! on it.
We will try to reproduce the situation and fix the error. Thank you for the detailed discription.
The yellow exclamatory mark is shown when the uploading was completed only partly. Please try to upload the same track again.

Quote:
I am trying to find a program to map out a large group of trails near my home. I wanted to start walking all of them and basically build a map from it, but as well tell me where I am on the map. Can this program do that for me?
I am not sure I understand what you mean. You can draw your tracks while walking the trails. Your location can be displayed on the GPSed.com if you set "Allow other users to view my current/last position" in Settings on the site.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #46
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

FF2, we didn't change anything in connection settings. So I don't think this is related to the software. There might be a reason that the coverage is not very good. Maybe you are under the ground or in a building with thick walls. Also please check the settings according to the FAQ Frequently Asked Questions | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service
Old 06-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #47
igetchoo

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAPE View Post
We will try to reproduce the situation and fix the error. Thank you for the detailed discription.
The yellow exclamatory mark is shown when the uploading was completed only partly. Please try to upload the same track again.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. You can draw your tracks while walking the trails. Your location can be displayed on the GPSed.com if you set "Allow other users to view my current/last position" in Settings on the site.
Sorry I may need to explain a bit better. I have been creating a trail map with your program, by tracking the trails I have taken and how they interconnect to each other. I would like to save this data and then be able to bring it back up later to find out where on the trail I am.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #48
afavreau
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Is this application work with 8310 and At&T?? Does it use Google maps or it's own mapping?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #49
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Sorry I may need to explain a bit better. I have been creating a trail map with your program, by tracking the trails I have taken and how they interconnect to each other. I would like to save this data and then be able to bring it back up later to find out where on the trail I am.
Hello,

On the GPSed mobile application you are able to view only one track at a time (current or previously recorded).
On the GPSed web service you are able to view several uploaded tracks on the map at the same time, you can mark the tracks with different colors and see at what point you are right now.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #50
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afavreau View Post
Is this application work with 8310 and At&T?? Does it use Google maps or it's own mapping?
Hello,

BlackBerry 8310 has a built-in GPS receiver, so your device is enough for writing tracks with GPSed mobile application. The application has its own map to show you the recorded tracks.
Please make sure that AT&T doesn't forbid GPS services.
If you would like to upload your tracks from the BlackBerry and see them on Google maps on gpsed.com you would need Internet connection. Make sure it is available with AT&T.

Hope you will enjoy the service!
Irene
Old 06-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #51
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Dear Shape (Irene)

Is there a fix nearing for the wrong NUMERICAL values showing when using MILES?
Old 06-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #52
captthomason
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
PIN: to bean
Carrier: AT&T

Shape:

Can you view friends location from the BlackBerry, or can you only view from the PC?\

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #53
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captthomason View Post
Shape:

Can you view friends location from the BlackBerry, or can you only view from the PC?\

Thanks.
Only from the PC
Old 06-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #54
captthomason
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
PIN: to bean
Carrier: AT&T

Any chance of that becoming a feature in the future?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #55
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

captthomason,

This might become a feature of GPSed in the future, but not the nearest one. You see, GPSed mobile application browses it's own map and shows you your track and location on this map. It is not Google maps, so it is difficult to locate your friends relatively to you from the BlackBerry.
Web service GPSed.com on the PC shows Google maps in any scale. This way besides seeing your tracks, you can locate your friends on the map.

Best regards,
Irene

Last edited by SHAPE; 06-17-2008 at 05:15 AM..
Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #56
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

How often do you sample? When I look at the uploaded tracks, I am making extreme jumps, perhaps miles from one point to the next.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #57
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

dlpisgreat,

Please try the Filtering option. Go to GPSed -> Settings -> Tracks -> Filtering. The "High" option is preferable. And inform the jumps are still shown on a track or not.

Thank you in advance
Old 06-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #58
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Still waiting for a fix on the MILEage display. Went out with friends this weekend and could not tell them accurate distance as we were all looking at my BB.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #59
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Shape, sent you a PM, but what I found is that the distance computed on the phone interface is still in KM even though I am using english units.

When I uploaded the track to the web, it shows the correct value in MI.

Also, when I first put the program on the phone, I selected imperical units (english). The speed was showing MPH, yet the units was showing km/h.
However, the distance was still being calculated in km rather than mi.

Paul
Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #60
Organman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon (unfortunately)

Quote:

I just recently tried to track a 110-Mile trip. About 100-miles into the trip, I also scrolled through another screen in the program and had the same "uncaught exception" error! I lost all the trip data. I can't afford to have this unrealiability and will wait for a new version before I try it again. Also am irritated that the miles calculation is inaccurate - that it still shows the km value. To me that's such a simple bug to have corrected a long time ago!
Closed Thread