Thank you, this is great thread
Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #22
opyr8yr

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemn View Post
no.. you will use lots of data.. it downloads the route and traffic information for each route you request, each time you request it.

This is a good thing.. you get current maps and don't have to deal with buying/isntalling updates every year or so.
Thank you for clarifying, and while I agree with you about the dynamic maps, I live in Canada and our data rates are insanely expensive, our providers love to gouge us on it, which is why I'm looking for a solution that does not use data, which apparently does not exist!!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyr8yr View Post
which is why I'm looking for a solution that does not use data, which apparently does not exist!!
The main issue is the memory it would take to hold all the maps. If your device has a good sized SD card, you could probably hold the maps you need. I'd love to see such software as I go to Canada regularly and would rather not pay your fine carriers to use their network ;)
Old 02-16-2008, 04:43 AM   #24
jamesbb456

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Thanks! Installed the 8703 on BB Curve 8310 from ATT. No problems thus far! What a great product. Very easy to use application. I was able to add and find many locations to save as My Places. Then I simply navigate from my GPS location to any of My Places. The interface is very responsive. It has multiple information views: next turn, route overview, route details, itinerary. Pressing a button or scrolling trackball easily controls the application.

Will pay for Mapquest when this free version stops working.

Last edited by jamesbb456; 02-19-2008 at 10:13 PM..
Old 02-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #25
mfr7bf

Hi, I just downloaded version 8703e for my Curve 8310 with AT&T, and I get the following errors when trying to load the application:

app_prod_mapquest_navigator_bb8703:

"Error in Application Information File (Directory where app is stored): There is an XML syntax error on line 1"

"No Additional Applications for your device were found"

mapquest_navigator:

"No Additional Applications for your device were found"

Has anybody else experienced this problem, or know of a solution?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #26
relkin314

Carrier: AT&T

I'm having the same problem on an AT&T 8310
I tried installing using the app loader in the desktop manager
and got the error there are no applications for your device.

I get the same error with two different downloads too so I'm
pretty sure it's not a packaging problem...

Anyone able to give any help or advice?

Update: I think I got it.. it seems to be installing as I type. I was missing the device files on my computer I guess. I'm a complete newbie obviously!

Last edited by relkin314; 02-27-2008 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Update info
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #27
mfr7bf

relkin314, I am a newbie as well, what do you mean by "missing the device files on your computer"
Old 02-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #28
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

You need to download and install the handheld OS on your PC to use the app loader. The top of the Curve forums has links to the latest OS releases. Your carrier should also have the latest release that they have approved.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #29
Joshlarsen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Alltel

Would one of these versions work on the 8130 Pearl?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #30
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Verizon

The one from the 7130e works on the 8130. The 7100i works as well, but doesn't have a trip itinerary screen (showing all directions).
Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #31
Chevyguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Apple
PIN: Jailbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
This thread is for help getting the old version of Mapquest navigator on your BB via desktop manager so that you can enjoy a quality GPS application without the monthly costs.

I've used this version for quite a while now and acquired it when they had a download page available for sprint devices for free as a promo. When they went to a pay service and an upgraded client on the devices they killed the OTA links to these downloads, even though the application continues to work flawlessly (at least for me it has).

There is no guarantee that this version will continue working forever, but the chances that the new and old versions use the same server are pretty good.

That being said it's a pretty easy process, download the correct version below for your device and load the application in the zip file to your BB using the desktop manager's load applications function.

On your BB make sure that under Options -> Advanced -> GPS there is a GPS device selected. If you have a BB with internal GPS it should be set to internal GPS, and if you use a bluetooth puck for GPS, that bluetooth device should be selected.

Use the 8703e version for QWERTY blackberries (320x240 screen)
Use the 7130e version for SureType blackberries (240x260 screen)
Use the 7100i version for older SureType blackberries (710x series)

If you have a SureType BB I would first try the 7130e version and if you have problems try the 7100i version. Others have noticed that there is no route list option on the 7100i version and that the icon doesn't highlight when selected, but all in all they're very similar. The 7100i version seems to be a bit larger so will take up more memory, but is probably more compatible with older BB OSes.

Here are links to the 3 different versions of the product they had available for download:

8703e Version

7130e Version

7100i Version

Lets use this thread to keep track of problems and questions relating to the old version as it will pretty much be up to a community to help each other for support on this older version.

Also, FWIW, this is the only GPS application I have on my phone now as it has always worked reliably and accurately for me. It's quite fast and has some very nice features for a free application. Personal favorite is the "night mode", it makes the backlight much easier on the eyes at night. Also a trick I have learned is to set the numlock on your BB when you're in the application, then the shortcuts next to menu options actually work. (#5 is night mode shortcut )
Tried clicking on all three links provided and they all take me to Rapid Share. From there, I cannot download any of the versions provided from my phone ?!? Do I have to subscribe to Rapid share first in order to download the Mapquest navigator file ???
Old 03-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #32
Joshlarsen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just go to the site click free and wait about 30 seconds. Their is a count down timer that will could to 0.0 minutes and once it does the screen with change to a source to download from and then enter the code that is on the screen and click download and it will download.

I have the files downloaded but have not installed them yet hopefully tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #33
cjcarbone

PIN: K PANTHER

its not an OTA link, you need to DL it to your PC, and install via Desktop Manager

Ok, now my issue. When i try to navigate, i keep getting a Network Timeout Error.
All the other apps i have work fine, i am testing a few GPS units, amAze, GMM, BBMaps, and they all connect to the servers properly.
Is there a setting somewhere i am missing?
my APN settings:
wap.cingular
[email address]
CINGULAR1

I have all program and module permissions set to allow also

Last edited by cjcarbone; 03-02-2008 at 01:55 AM..
Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #34
1baker2g
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I'm having the same problem mfr7bf had. How did you fix it?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #35
markvibari
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Okay. I'm bummed. I just downloaded and installed the 8703e version for my 8320. The install was smooth, the app is speedy and intuitive (especially after messing with AmazeGPS and Nav4All) and as soon as I tried to navigate a route, a belltone sounded and I got a message saying that my trial period had expired! I just installed it!!

Arghhh!!

"wu-wei" mentioned this problem in posts #17 and #16 . How have you gotten the app to work after reinstalling it?

Last edited by markvibari; 03-02-2008 at 08:28 PM..
Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #36
cjcarbone

PIN: K PANTHER

same here, i had to restart my phone to get past the network timeout

Once i did that, it now says your trial period has expired
Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #37
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyguy View Post
Tried clicking on all three links provided and they all take me to Rapid Share. From there, I cannot download any of the versions provided from my phone ?!? Do I have to subscribe to Rapid share first in order to download the Mapquest navigator file ???
Are you trying from work or home? If from work, try it from home and see if that helps.

Also, you're using the "Free" download option, right?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:32 AM   #38
Joshlarsen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Anyone get this working? or is everyone getting the trial version expired message?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #39
bvandrasik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshlarsen View Post
Anyone get this working? or is everyone getting the trial version expired message?
The free ride is over. Mapquest is no longer allowing map downloads for this version.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #40
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I fired it up after reading the message before mine and it gave me a route from "here" to work. I don't know what/why but it appears that the version I have is still working - not that I use it all that much but just testing.
Closed Thread