Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #41
TheMiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 30da78f6
Carrier: Alltel Phone VZW Carrier

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone have trouble losing the sound ( audio) after about one half hour ?
and you can't get it back until you do a battery pull.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #42
TheMiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

So far the teac dept. at TeleNav thinks the Audio lose is only being reported from 4.5.0.160 users . Now how to fix it .
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #43
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I spent a lot of time with both Garmin and Telenav. They have pros and cons.

Garmin pros - one time fee for the life of your device. Simple interface. Good routing. Day/night modes.

Garmin cons - TOO simple. Not enough routing choices. You take what it gives you. No way to disallow trip segments. Not much map detail, but to be fair they had to compromise detail for screen space. Nothing is missing that you need anyway.

Does not with with Alltel/Verizon UNLESS you have Telenav installed.

Incidentally I spent a lot of time on the phone with Garmin. Their phone support was awesome. Much better than Alltel, who basically told me if I want workable GPS, I HAVE to buy Telenav. Turns out I cannot use Garmin effectively with my carrier unless a working copy of Telenav is installed. What a waste. I had to go with Telenav, which is not bad but annoying to have to do because the carrier crippled the handset.

Telenav pros - good maps and routing. You can look over the route and disallow legs. Good detail on maps. Web interface to plan trips and pull up maps! Yay - I really like that. You specify your trip online and the next time you start Telenav it syncs up. Sweet and transparant. More choices in routing.

Telenav can turn the screen off until your next turn. Saves battery but is annoying. I just use a car adapter and leave the screen on.

Cons - No night mode. Costs $10 a month, period. If you want to spend the money, it's a better overall product. But Garmin gets you where you are going. Download the trial and MAKE SURE IT WORKS without Telenav on board!

Don't think you can use either for extended times without a car adapter or a huge battery.

The one place they both fell down was in central Virginia and the boondocks of North Carolina. No data connection, no maps so no GPS. I had to fall back on my Magellan 4040. Bummer.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #44
TheMiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post

The one place they both fell down was in central Virginia and the boondocks of North Carolina. No data connection, no maps so no GPS. I had to fall back on my Magellan 4040. Bummer.
I had trouble in the same areas on my way to Myrtle Beach
Old 07-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #45
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
I spent a lot of time with both Garmin and Telenav. They have pros and cons.

Garmin pros - one time fee for the life of your device. Simple interface. Good routing. Day/night modes.

Garmin cons - TOO simple. Not enough routing choices. You take what it gives you. No way to disallow trip segments. Not much map detail, but to be fair they had to compromise detail for screen space. Nothing is missing that you need anyway.

Does not with with Alltel/Verizon UNLESS you have Telenav installed.

Incidentally I spent a lot of time on the phone with Garmin. Their phone support was awesome. Much better than Alltel, who basically told me if I want workable GPS, I HAVE to buy Telenav. Turns out I cannot use Garmin effectively with my carrier unless a working copy of Telenav is installed. What a waste. I had to go with Telenav, which is not bad but annoying to have to do because the carrier crippled the handset.

Telenav pros - good maps and routing. You can look over the route and disallow legs. Good detail on maps. Web interface to plan trips and pull up maps! Yay - I really like that. You specify your trip online and the next time you start Telenav it syncs up. Sweet and transparant. More choices in routing.

Telenav can turn the screen off until your next turn. Saves battery but is annoying. I just use a car adapter and leave the screen on.

Cons - No night mode. Costs $10 a month, period. If you want to spend the money, it's a better overall product. But Garmin gets you where you are going. Download the trial and MAKE SURE IT WORKS without Telenav on board!

Don't think you can use either for extended times without a car adapter or a huge battery.

Thanks for these comments. I've been on the fence about GPS navigation with a Blackberry. The seven day trial for Garmin didn't really give me enough time to use it. I'm on a thirty day trial with TeleNav now. Not really a fan of having maps being downloaded during the trip.

So far, the traffic has been working out very well for me in the NYC area. I can't find a way with Telenav to edit the route. Road construction has an entry to a bridge closed and it keeps sending me to that highway. I want to manually edit that road and have it reroute me but I can't find a way to do it. I emailed Telenav early this week but didn't receive a response.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #46
TheMiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post

I emailed Telenav early this week but didn't receive a response.

Thanks.

You will get MUCH faster service by going to Voice directions on your GPS phone: TeleNav and
join the form. They are very fast and friendly .
Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #47
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
Thanks for these comments. I've been on the fence about GPS navigation with a Blackberry. The seven day trial for Garmin didn't really give me enough time to use it. I'm on a thirty day trial with TeleNav now. Not really a fan of having maps being downloaded during the trip.

So far, the traffic has been working out very well for me in the NYC area. I can't find a way with Telenav to edit the route. Road construction has an entry to a bridge closed and it keeps sending me to that highway. I want to manually edit that road and have it reroute me but I can't find a way to do it. I emailed Telenav early this week but didn't receive a response.

Thanks.
Umm, this is NOT intuitive But it is doable. You do not do it from the route summary, but from the TRAFFIC summary.

While on your route, click the menu button and select traffic summary.

On that screen, select the segment you want and click the menu button again. Select avoid segment.

Telelnav will present you with a map showing the original route and the re-route. Click the trackball to accept.

This SHOULD be available from the route summary screen, but it isn't. Duh.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #48
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

I find Telenav sluggish on my Bold.

Still looking for a good pay gps service.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #49
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Umm, this is NOT intuitive But it is doable. You do not do it from the route summary, but from the TRAFFIC summary.

While on your route, click the menu button and select traffic summary.

On that screen, select the segment you want and click the menu button again. Select avoid segment.

Telelnav will present you with a map showing the original route and the re-route. Click the trackball to accept.

This SHOULD be available from the route summary screen, but it isn't. Duh.
Thanks, I would have never found it! I'll try it tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #50
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiz View Post
You will get MUCH faster service by going to Voice directions on your GPS phone: TeleNav and
join the form. They are very fast and friendly .
NFG for me. I had signed up and used Telenav years ago and joined the forum. I tried signing on and it said my user name was inactive and to send the admin an email. I did and no response. Guess I could have tried with another user name.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #51
fkjr2

3 annoyances with GARMIN:

-can't view time until destination only ETA
-Cant' route a point from A to B outside "current" location
-Not much route options
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #52
fkjr2

does anyone know how to map out a route online and sync to device?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #53
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
does anyone know how to map out a route online and sync to device?
Just enter your destination online. When you start Telenav on the handset it connects to your mytelenav and syncs. Transparent. I wish everyone did that.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #54
fkjr2

Quote:
Just enter your destination online. When you start Telenav on the handset it connects to your mytelenav and syncs. Transparent. I wish everyone did that.
I still can't see how to do this - a plot directions online thru Mytele but nothing gets synced to device.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #55
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
I still can't see how to do this - a plot directions online thru Mytele but nothing gets synced to device.
Sounds like something - I don't know what -is not set up correctly. I would call Telenav about it. It's one thing I really REALLY liked about Telenav and wish everyone did. It JUST WORKED, no hassle. I just saved the route on the website and started Telenav on the handset and bam, there was my route.

Last edited by MikeLip; 07-21-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #56
Tre Lawrence
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am sold on TeleNav. Good service goes a long way in my book. A simple tweet got me some of the best service I have ever received.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #57
fkjr2

With Garmin - Is there any way to plot a point from a to b other than using current GPS location?

For example - Current location=NYC
Traveling to Vegas - want to plot distance/route from McCarren Airport to Hotel.

I am puzzled as to why this isn't possible as it seems logical and how the other apps do it.

Last edited by fkjr2; 08-09-2009 at 12:39 PM..
Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #58
fkjr2

Quote:
Sounds like something - I don't know what -is not set up correctly. I would call Telenav about it. It's one thing I really REALLY liked about Telenav and wish everyone did. It JUST WORKED, no hassle. I just saved the route on the website and started Telenav on the handset and bam, there was my route.
Talked to Cust Ser - this is not possible with Tele Nav
No saved routes - only saved locations :(
Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #59
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Is it true that Tmobile customers can use Telenav for free? (I'm not talking about the 14 day trial)

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #60
tom0100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

No, you have pay after the 14 days on Tmobile (just like anyone else). I like telenav it's not sooo much better than Garmin to pay $120/ year to use it. Garmin is $80 flat rate from Blackberry Lounge. Garmin works like it does in the car versions....very straightforward.
Closed Thread