Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster View Post
I have a BB for two reasons and two reasons only -- one, because my employer "strongly recommended" I get one; and two, so that I can minimize the number of devices I carry around. Using your logic, I should carry a BB for email, a separate phone for calls, a PDA for my PIM needs, a GPS device for navigation, and if I want to listen to some music or take some pictures, I should also carry an iPod and a camera as well. Yes, if I carried a separate device for each one of those needs, I'd get better performance out of each, but I'd also need a backpack to carry the SIX SEPARATE DEVICES. As it is, I carry one -- one small one that fits in my pocket and performs each task admirably well. That's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

No Thats not what I said. I said I use the BB for work which keeps all my address and calendar and has a decent phone. Its the camera and music that I dont need. I have to carry a better camera than any phone can deliver.

As for GPS I only use it while in my car so its installed there permanetly. I have a radio and xm in my truck so I dont need a music device. I am supposed to be working not listening to music.

--Mav

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, I actually do have a digital camera to serve that need since cell phone cameras are universally crap (and I have an 8800, so I don't have a phone camera at all), but each of my other needs is more than adequately met by my nice, small 8800 package.

P.P.S. Seriously, give TeleNav 5.1 a try and then come back and tell me that it's worth carrying a standalone GPS device. It does virtually everything a standalone GPS device does and does it very well; in addition, it integrates perfectly with the PIM elements of the BB so I never have to type an address. That's an element that a standalone device simply cannot replicate.
and Catt I can learn I am just saying its not a requirement for me to have all this extra junk on a work device.

Its funny I can go back and show you countless threads and posts from most of the old school users here that swear up and down they would never use any of these things listed here with the exception of GPS.

I am not saying GPS doesnt have its use but my tom tom will do more than any phone GPS
Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 AM   #22
frankieb96

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

kind of off-topic, but kinda not. . .

would a Bluetooth GPS Receiver work for an 8830? and work for google/bb maps?

the only place i would every really use that feature would be in my car probably, so i'd buy one of those if it worked, and hardwire it in my car.

thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 AM   #23
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieb96 View Post
Yes, there are several Bluetooth GPS receivers that work fine with the 8830 with both Google Maps and BB Maps.
I use a Globalsat BT-359.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #24
zachberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
kind of off-topic, but kinda not. . .

the only place i would every really use that feature would be in my car probably, so i'd buy one of those if it worked, and hardwire it in my car.

thanks
I thought the only place I would use it would be in my car, but I keep the puck with me when I travel I use it all the time....rental car to hotel...Gmaps shows traffic and you can navigate around that...find a restraunt....find meeting places....its amazing how much you find you use it...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #25
frankieb96

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

if it's small enough and can take batteries, i'd definately take it elsewhere

thanks for the response guys. . .i guess for us 8830 guys with verizon, this is a suitable solution for the time being, although i would love to be able to use the internal gps; i'm sure someone will figure a hack out for it.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #26
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
if it's small enough and can take batteries, i'd definately take it elsewhere
The BT-359 is tiny, and has a rechargeable battery which lasts quite a long time.

Quote:
i would love to be able to use the internal gps; i'm sure someone will figure a hack out for it.
Don't hold your breath. ;)
Closed Thread