BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
therac

Model: 8100
Carrier: T_Mobile
Default To anyone that questions the Pearl's durabilty...

Please Login to Remove!

So I was at a work site today on top of a 10ft ladder, checking some email on my Pearl (don't ask why I was doing this on top of a 10ft ladder). When I tried to put it back in my pocket, I slipped. My heart sank as my beloved 8100 was now falling 10ft or more down to a hard cafeteria floor. Fearing the worst, I climbed down the ladder to see what the damage was. I found the battery door latch was broken and I was getting a SIM card error, and after a hard reset, it was back to normal with full EDGE support.

So in a nutshell, I dropped a Pearl 10ft onto a hard surface and the only damage is a broken battery door latch. Color me impressed. Now I think it's time for me to buy one of those skins to get a bit of extra grip.....
Old 11-05-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
tsinc80697
Knows Where the Search Button Is

i dropped my pearl off my lap when i got out of the car the other day.
The metallic bit on the side has a scuff mark on it, anyone know how to get rid of it, or to lessen the damage?
Dont want to put polish or anything on unless someone is 100% it might help.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
dabull
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

phones scratch, it happens.

10ft off a ladder onto a tile surface is a very impressive survival. its actually sort of expected as of the last few years, the amount of effort they put into these things to make them durable is really paying off. ive dropped the lg vx9800 6ft onto frozen concrete, and it was 10deg F ! not anything more then a mark on the corner. still worked like new.

still amazing though. wont be long before cell phones are all waterproof too

btw, my battery door doesnt clip in right to begin with on my pearl. i dont need the button to slide the door off, yet it hasnt come off on its own. yet.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Shaman

Found on another site, another testimony of durability

Quote:
I... get this... get ready for it... dropped my phone!!!! On concrete from about 15 feet.... The top and bottom right now have little dents/scratches on them... It was inevitable though, i knew it would happen sooner or later...

Visit me at shamanland
Old 11-05-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Sounds like it fell flat on the battery door so you escaped damage.

Others have made fun of my using a lanyard on the phone, but ever since I have used lanyards on my devices, I have avoided many a fall down to the "surface of impending doom."

Lanyards rule.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-05-2006 at 11:31 AM..
Old 11-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
secrecyguy

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by therac
So I was at a work site today on top of a 10ft ladder, checking some email on my Pearl (don't ask why I was doing this on top of a 10ft ladder). When I tried to put it back in my pocket, I slipped. My heart sank as my beloved 8100 was now falling 10ft or more down to a hard cafeteria floor. Fearing the worst, I climbed down the ladder to see what the damage was. I found the battery door latch was broken and I was getting a SIM card error, and after a hard reset, it was back to normal with full EDGE support.

So in a nutshell, I dropped a Pearl 10ft onto a hard surface and the only damage is a broken battery door latch. Color me impressed. Now I think it's time for me to buy one of those skins to get a bit of extra grip.....
You are in contruction or maintence or something similar to that. Right?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
secrecyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabull
phones scratch, it happens.

10ft off a ladder onto a tile surface is a very impressive survival. its actually sort of expected as of the last few years, the amount of effort they put into these things to make them durable is really paying off. ive dropped the lg vx9800 6ft onto frozen concrete, and it was 10deg F ! not anything more then a mark on the corner. still worked like new.

still amazing though. wont be long before cell phones are all waterproof too

btw, my battery door doesnt clip in right to begin with on my pearl. i dont need the button to slide the door off, yet it hasnt come off on its own. yet.
Just put it in a plasitc zip lock bag.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy
Just put it in a plasitc zip lock bag.
The world's phone case manufacturers are wishing ill upon you.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
BiggJayBK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 243070B3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsinc80697
The metallic bit on the side has a scuff mark on it, anyone know how to get rid of it, or to lessen the damage?
Dont want to put polish or anything on unless someone is 100% it might help.

I would say to get some steel wool and rub on it softly! That always works for me.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
phoenix180

PIN: 240F7D38

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That is really comforting because I am super clumsy and I have been terrified of dropping my pearl.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsinc80697
Don't want to put polish or anything on unless someone is 100% it might help.
Half the battle on making scratches look better or to disappear is to get rid of debris inside the scratch. If you can make the scratch "valley" shine, then it may not show up all that much [except to you].

I believe the sides are actually metal [put a small magnet on an edge and it stuck]. That is good news, because if it was plastic, there would be little you could do.

I have some metal polishes that gets out small scratches, but it's too expensive for this job.

You should clean or buff up the scratches with some metal/chrome polish [from an auto supply store]. Only lightly work the material as you don't want to damage the surface further. Moreover, I am not sure what is underneath the shiny chrome surface/plating. Could be pot metal

Although I use Best Skins Ever, you can also apply that ShieldZone skin on the the sides, after you clean up the scratch. [The Shieldzone kit includes pieces for the side].

The skin will break up light that is reflecting on the scratch. So it will not show up or only slightly.

Good luck.

Bonus Tip - You can always put the phone in a case and hide it from public view, similar to what people do to hide their out-of-shape figures.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
SmokinV10

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

I dropped my pearl by accident as I was fumbling through my wallet to try to find the cardkey to my hotel room. I dropped it from waist height and the microphone stopped working. Tmobile replaced it regardless. I got a new one and dropped it onto carpet from my desk. The motor that makes the vibrate function now sounds loose when the phone rings in vibrate mode. Durable? phhht
Closed Thread