Old 12-28-2005, 06:02 PM   #41
tfaz1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
Here's the best part... Why does Mac only run Mac stuff? How come I can't run other software on the Mac platform? I mean natively, not through some sort of emulation. Why is it that Mac has to run a *nix based operating system instead of something that is truely theirs?
What kind of argument is that? Why not ask why we can't we load Palm OS apps on our BlackBerrys? Makes about as much sense.

Keep your eye out for the Intel Macs running their new Yonah chipset. Not only will they allow you to run Windows *natively*, but run it in a separate processor partition so that you can use any Windows app right there on your Mac desktop (including games). Perhaps even running Windows apps *without* Windows. Now that's what I call Utopia.

And you're right. Unix is an awful place to lay your GUI on top of. After all, why build on a secure, open-source foundation when you can go with the bloated, Swiss-cheese mud-hole that M$ decides you need.

Question: Why is it that my Mac can read any PC formatted (FAT32/NTFS) drive but my PC can't see my Mac formatted drives? Kind of silly that Micro$oft (as big as they are) can't add that simple functionality to Windows.

Quote:
At one point Mac could outperform PC's at media related tasks, that has changed in the last few years. Now there is nothing Mac does better than a PC.
That's probably true. And in the process of using your PC, you'll have the fun of instability, crashing, viruses and spyware. Not to mention the cluster-f*ck that is the Windows UI.

And don't tell me, "My PC never crashes, gets viruses or spyware..." because those problems are a reality for the majority of Windows users. Look it up.

Quote:
I have *never* taken "crap" for being a blackberry user, infact, having a blackberry puts you in a higher status class...
Spoken like a true elitist. Perhaps you were a Mac user in a past life. If not, it sure sounds like you've got a bad case of Mac envy...

Last edited by tfaz1; 12-28-2005 at 06:31 PM..
Old 12-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #42
gabeosx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

RIM needs to have native Mac support, end of story. Although Apple's market share isn't as big as Microsoft's, there are still pleanty of Mac users with BlackBerrys.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #43
auggie4000
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
PIN: 23F78D7A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Wow!!!!

This thread turned into a Mac vs PC real quick......

Here is my take:

I am a Graphic Designer, taught on a Mac (1993) always had PCs at home (cheaper). I can build, rebuild, administer ANY windows box/server you can think of. There is NOTHING, I can not do in Windows, been using Windows for over 11 years.......

Oh, I forgot to mention, I just threw away, yes, threw away my windows 3.2GHZ home made bad boy.......and bought a Sparkling iMac G5 (20")

Why? Because I got tired of constantly fixing and tuning the PC. For my new Mac (Henry) I had to buy all new software, completely learn a new OS, and how to trouble shoot it....errr.....hmmm.....havent learned how to trouble shoot it though, fact is I can't learn how to......something has to break for me to learn how, and wouldn't you know it, nothing has broken yet

Bottom line, this thread was started by Mac users for Mac users. "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem, stop being a part of &*$%ing the problem"

I have read and tried for myself, Virtual PC will see the BB usb device, can't do anything with it though....I have submitted a new product ticket to markspace.com, the makers of The Missing Link, it looks like they are working on something...maybe all the Mac users here should submit one too....might make them work faster
BB 8700g (T-Mobile)
Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #44
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Hi Mac peoples. I have to admit, I know nothing about your platform, but I thought your latest and greatest OS was suppose to run Windows software? I wish the rest of the world was more compatible too, I for one would love to have a choice. But I don't, being in the computer consulting business, I have to run what my clients run and I have never seen an Apple at a client site in over 25 years of consulting, sad I am sure there were some there, but not in the areas I have worked in, mostly mainframe/large DB environments.

I am sorry that some people think we are at competition with each other, when in fact most of the Winder's user I know would love to help you win, we hate our unstable, virus trap.

Can I run a Iseries Navigator (DB2 for as400) on a Mac?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:44 PM   #45
robhawley
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Writing this from my PowerBook G4.

With Apple marketshare for computers actually increasing now, perhaps more companies will choose to support the platform (I know mine is).

What has confused me about RIM is their handheld software is written in Java, why not the desktop software - if it was then it could run under Windows, Mac, Linux or whatever.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #46
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

I think that it has to do with the fact that even obfuscated java code is pretty insecure... I am sure there are algo's in the desktop software that RIM would rather keep from the general public. If you think about it, every copy of DM that is installed with the redirector has code to talk to the RIM relay...

Could you imagine the amount of reverse engineering that would commence if all of a sudden people had RIM's code for talking to the relay? I am sure it wouldn't take too long for some european (I say that in a good way, they are very computer smart when it comes to this stuff) to figure out how to send messages 'on behalf of' to the relay... wouldn't that cause quite the little uproar eh...

cd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhawley
What has confused me about RIM is their handheld software is written in Java, why not the desktop software - if it was then it could run under Windows, Mac, Linux or whatever.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-29-2005, 08:58 AM   #47
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

I use a Mac with my Blackberry and it works very well. My BB will sync wirelessly with "Entourage" via Mailstreet's 3rd party BES/MDS. Contacts and Calendar work well, Note sometimes doesn't sync properly. (It also syncs with Outlook on my office pc.) I download software ota whenever possible.
The only time I have to use a pc is to install software OS updates, do periodic backups, and install 3rd party stuff that can't be done ota.
I have heard PocketMac is working on a new version that will allow installations. I m not sure if they will add a backup/restore feature set or not.
There was another product call Sync Again? or something like that which is BES?MDS dependent. I never heard much more about it - it was from a Montreal company called Epicad or something like that.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:00 AM   #48
nEMESIS4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

The whole Mac vs PC argument is pretty pointless these days. 5 years ago I would have argued differently, but at the present time PC's outperform Mac's on pretty much everything. There is really no argument anymore; it simply comes down to personal preference now.

In the last 13 years I can't think of a single time that I have ever had a virus or spyware. I know this is obviously varies per person, but for me I haven't had any problems with XP crashing, but our iMac here at work crashes regularly. I think that is a result of the problems with CS on OSX though. Let's face it; the only way to get infected is to allow it to happen.

I would rather trust a system that is under attack 99% of the time than a system that no one has bothered to exploit yet. If market shares ever shift enough Mac users will probably have a lot of headaches to deal with, as we've seen with Firefox over the last 6 month. ;)

To comment on a poster above I don't think Apple's market share has increased, their sales have though. I think their market share has actually been decreasing slowly. As years go on more and more people will be buying computers, but that doesn't necessarily mean their market share will increase.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #49
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEMESIS4
The whole Mac vs PC argument is pretty pointless these days. 5 years ago I would have argued differently, but at the present time PC's outperform Mac's on pretty much everything. There is really no argument anymore; it simply comes down to personal preference now.
Exactly -- it's personal preference.

I deal all day long with helping maintaining tens of thousands of Windows machines spread over 48 states all day long. It's a personal perference for me to go home to something different and fun, like my 15" G4 PowerBook that dual boots OS X and Fedora.

I'm not a huge fan of Mac users who get [emotional, whiny, *****y] when a company doesn't support OS X. Honestly, the title of this thread (The Forgotten: Mac Users) rubs me the wrong way because it makes Mac Users sound like victims. Argh.

But I also don't understand Windows people that start in with the "well, you picked Mac knowing that not every company will write for it, so don't even open your mouth if you find something that you want" at the mere notion that a Mac user would want an application like the BlackBerry Desktop Manager to run on OS X.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:56 AM   #50
aristobrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEMESIS4
To comment on a poster above I don't think Apple's market share has increased, their sales have though. I think their market share has actually been decreasing slowly. As years go on more and more people will be buying computers, but that doesn't necessarily mean their market share will increase.
FWIW:
http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/11/apple...climbs-to-6-6/

Also kinda interesting:
Quote:
Users of iPods had a 19% PC to Macintosh platform conversion rate compared with a street expectation of 10%. ... The conversion rate of iPod customer base to the Macintosh platform from PC "implies two points of global PC market share gain for Apple in 2005," to 5% from 3%, said Morgan Stanley, adding that the conversion rate for iPod owners could track closer to the 25% range going forward from 19%.
http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/0...ketscan10.html
Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #51
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

OKAY. ENUF PLEASE. This thread got way-popular once hijacked, but my sole reason for creating it was to help those of us that chose the Mac OS and RIM's BB - period.

If you don't like the title of this thread, blame me and move to another one, for christ's sake. If you think Mac users are whiny and deserve to suffer for our poor choice of computer platform, then give your PC a big hug and move to another thread without comment.

Every user of this forum has one thing in common: we all chose to use a BB. If you can offer some insight into BB/Mac integration, then please post here.

'NUF SAID.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #52
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
I have heard PocketMac is working on a new version that will allow installations. I m not sure if they will add a backup/restore feature set or not.
Roofus: Can you recall where/when you heard about this new upgrade to PM? Such an upgrade would be awesome, and if you could post any links/copy any text about it, I'd appreciate it! I've e-mailed PM's company a coupla times asking this, but my queries remain unanswered...
Old 12-29-2005, 11:24 AM   #53
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-MOBILE
Smile

We love Macs as well. We'd love to see more Macintosh Applications. We are a team of Application Developers, and have researched several items in regards to Apple. At the present time we are extremly busy with other projects (pretty cool blackberry applications). Soon, in the near future we hope to take advantage of this arena... in hopes of bringing good things to the APPLE world.

P.S - Looks as if you guys are on the right path.. keep going!!!

The Shark Team
"Development of applications is no longer a task.. it's a DUTY"

Last edited by mediabb; 12-29-2005 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #54
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

thank you im always looking for ne apps for bb/mac users.. anyone have any ideas about were i can get a cheap but good mem upgrade for my mac? mac world and apple is pretty expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediabb
We love Macs as well. We'd love to see more Macintosh Applications. We are a team of Application Developers, and have researched several items in regards to Apple. At the present time we are extremly busy with other projects (pretty cool blackberry applications). Soon, in the near future we hope to take advantage of this arena... in hopes of bringing good things to the APPLE world.

The Shark Team
"Development of application is no longer a task.. it's a DUTY"

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 12-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #55
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

The Shark Team
"Development of applications is no longer a task.. it's a DUTY"

What kind of BB apps are you developing?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #56
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by peznut
What kind of BB apps are you developing?

Peznut,

Up until this time we have been researching a few things. So we don't persay have specific software/applications that we have on our list. However once we become free from other projects.. we'd love to take a poll and see the needs of the community and take it from there. Sounds good? Would like to get the top 5 Most Wanted Applications for MAC. I'm sure this is already posted on BB FORUM, we haven't done a through search as of yet.

P.S - We'd love to see more for the mac. Any Applescript programmers out there? > Come on guys!!! Get busy Feel free to email us.

The Shark Team
"developement is no longer a task .. It's a duty"

Old 12-30-2005, 03:23 PM   #57
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Peznut, Would like to get the top 5 Most Wanted Applications for MAC. I'm sure this is already posted on BB FORUM, we haven't done a through search as of yet.

The Shark Team
"developement is no longer a task .. It's a duty"

Speaking for myself, and as I've posted somewhere else in this thread, the number-one app I'd welcome is a MAC OSX equivalent of RIM's desktop software, offering Mac users the ability to download/upload files to BB, as well as backup/restore data. This could be its only function, or (perhaps ideally), it would also provide the sync functions of Pocket Mac. While I'm ambivalent to it, I know other users would like these abilities to happen wirelessly via Bluetooth.

Otherwise, given the 8700's ability to customize via themes, a Mac theme creator/editor seems like a no-brainer, too, given the Mac's graphic-manipulation ability. This isn't just an "eye candy" desire of mine (so, PC lovers, please don't jump all over me); I like the stock Cingular theme's use of folders/subfolders and would like to create a theme that can organize my BB the way I want.

A user-friendly ringtone creator/editor would probably make some Mac peeps happy because, right now, doing so is possible but very cumbersome.

Finally (and I doubt this is possible), but longtime Mac power-users will recall the program ResEdit, which enabled us to hack the crap out of software applications and even the Mac OS itself, tweaking - at our own peril - the look/functionality of programs in ways coders never imagined or intended While I'd probably be the first to seriously screw up my BB, there are several "little things" I wish I could add/change about the way my BB functions - particularly to BB's profiles.

That's my two cents. Mac users reading this thread, please add your wish lists...!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:30 AM   #58
BuckyT

Model: 7100g

I agree with everything Peznut said.
1. an app loader
2. Bluetooth support for sync
3. I'd love a bb equivilent of Fire - a multi channel chat and IM program - handles AIM, Yahoo, ICQ...

I'd also love a GPS program.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:00 AM   #59
aristobrat

I'd kill to be able to use the BlackBerry as a modem for the Mac.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:30 AM   #60
Toddboy71
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmo

I feel for you Mac users. I was one for nearly 20 years, starting in May of '84 when the original came out. I migrated to PC's about 3 years ago and am very happy. My father however is still a Mac person, and having to drive an hour and a half for him to load apps to his BB from my computer is a pain! He would love a app loader and a more user friendly contact sync. He's experienced some of the other problems with PM listed in these forums such as duplicate contacts. Just my 2 cents.....
Oh by the way, I used to always scream from the rooftops that Mac was better than PC's, but hate to admit I like PC's better now.....
Good luck Mac users!!!!!!! Hope RIM supports you soon.....
Closed Thread