Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
drake3

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Tour 9630 with prepaid international SIM won't accept incoming SMS

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have been traveling internationally lately and I purchased a couple of prepaid international SIMs because I didn't want my employer to get hit with a high roaming bill.

I used a couple of my old blackberries when I started and the SIMs work great in the older quad-band 7100 and 8700 units. No problems with either voice or texting from either unit.

I grabbed a co-worker's retired Verizon Tour and tried my int'l SIMs in this phone. First I did a security wipe, then unlocked it and then found an IT policy was still in place. I took BBSAK and did a factory reset which removed the IT policy and disabled the firewall. (this was a google'd solution to my problem.)

The Tour works find with voice, can receive calls, make calls and send SMS, but it won't receive SMS. When I send it a text the data arrows come alive for a minute, but no text is received on the phone. (The data connection is disabled because prepaid SIMs don't allow data, but I see the arrows blink back and forth regardless after a text has been sent to the phone.) I tried another suggestion, selecting register from the Host Routing Table menu in settings. That did not work.

I also made sure the phone was updated to the latest BB OS available from Verizon (5.0.0.something - left the phone at home so cannot look it up.)

I know the SMS texts are going through the system, because I can look at my detailed bill on a website and I am getting charged for each SMS incoming to the SIMs phone number.

The problem is definitely isolated to just the Tour. If anyone can suggest anything else to check to get this thing accepting texts I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Default Re: Tour 9630 with prepaid international SIM won't accept incoming SMS

It sounds to me like the Tour still has an IT Policy, or an IT Policy was again pushed onto it.

Another place to check is your Firewall settings. Options > Security Options > Firewall.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
drake3

Well, I was able to disable the firewall after I ran BBSAK - factory reset. That is supposed to remove any IT policies and here is a screenshot of the firewall page. Is there any other way to check for an IT policy?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

You can go to Options > Status and type BUYR to get some additional info to appear at the bottom of the screen. Don't worry that there's no field into which you can type. The last of the lines to appear should be "IT Policy: Disabled" if you do not have one.

A couple things to note: If you're on a corporate BES system and remove your IT Policy it's often grounds for immediate dismissal. Also, if connected to BES, a new IT Policy will be pushed onto your device if you have removed it. It will just keep coming back.

Last edited by rambo47; 04-09-2011 at 08:30 AM..
Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
drake3

Thanks, The BUYR trick said IT policies disabled so it is not an IT policy.

Thanks for the warning. I am the IT department at my company so no worries there.

This blackberry was removed from our BES server a long time ago. Is there a way to look at detailed messaging logging by putting the BB into a developer mode?

Actually, it is just a challenge now to try to figure out what is going on. I am going to fall back on an older 8700 to use for my current trip.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Are you sure the pre-paid SIM's allow Texting? It almost sounds like the carrier is blocking the messages even though you see the charges on the bill. A call to the carrier might help to check the issue.

From RIM

The Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card is not provisioned for SMS services. Depending upon the data plan with the wireless service provider, a BlackBerry smartphone might not be permitted to send SMS messages.
Receive SMS works

Resolution
Check with the wireless service provider to determine whether the SIM card is configured to allow SMS services.
In order to check for problems with the BlackBerry smartphone or the SIM card, try placing the SIM card in a different BlackBerry smartphone or mobile phone and attempt to send an SMS message.
Closed Thread