BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
RichTJ99

Default 7520 - no email photo attachments?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I was reading (on another site) that you cannot view attachment files (gif, jpg, etc) in an email attachment. Is that still the case?

Thanks,
RIch
Old 02-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

That's no longer true.

You can now view photo attachments on BlackBerries, using BlackBerryOS 4.0 .... Most of the carriers enabled photo viewing only 2 weeks ago. You no longer need BES for photo viewing.

To install BlackBerryOS 4.0, see:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1995
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-23-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
RichTJ99

Does Nextel fall into this catagory?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:46 AM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

From what I know, about 9 out of 10 users I've heard from, says their attachment viewing works. Not sure if that 1 out of 10 was a Nextel user.

It should be enabled for all users, as far as I know.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
CrackWheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

I am on Nextel and use a 3.6 BES. The only way I can view jpg's is by sending them to my [email address] addy
Old 02-26-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
smejicoiii

Model: 9550
Carrier: verizon

I must agree with CrackWheel the only way i have been able to receive attachments is thru my [email address] address also. the attachment seems to get dropped off using the redirector.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
hi-tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: SprinTel

I just tested, received attachments, word doc and photo to my one of my email "accounts" I have set up on the web client.

Not the nextel.blackberry.com address
Old 02-28-2005, 12:46 PM   #8
Cliffman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I just received my new BB 7520/Nextel and I can not view attachments through my email.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
chuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTJ99
Does Nextel fall into this catagory?
YES! Finally! Thank God! 8)
Old 02-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #10
Mrnyc01
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I have a 7510 v04 and it works fine with viewing attachments
Old 03-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #11
Isotope

Default BB Attachments...

That being said, if using a 7520 through Nextel with the unlimited BB data plan-- If I'm emailed at my gmail.com address, and the gmail address is pushed to the assigned [email address] address, and the email has an attachment, will it be filtered?

I've heard mixed experiences about attachments with Nextel. Furthermore, I've also only heard that the only way to receive attachments is by sending the attachments to the assigned [email address] address, or by having BES set up and running. Will the assigned BB email address filter out attachments from gmail and other "pushed" email accounts?

Isotope
Old 03-02-2005, 05:47 AM   #12
ksgooch

Default Photo Attachments on Nextel

I am on Nextel and I use the 7520. It does open and view photos that I get through email. Hope this will help you get what you need to make it work. If I can help just drop me a line.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #13
Isotope

Default Attachments?

Thanks for the reply... Since you have the 7520 through Nextel, let me ask you... When you receive attachments on the 7520 are the attachments being sent to the address that is attached to your 7520 from Nextel, the "user@nextel.blackberry.com" address, a corp. address, or a pop account (gmail, hotmail, AOL...?)

I understand that attachments can be received -- yet I don’t know if one can successfully "push" data from gmail, hotmail or the like and have it successfully sent to the BB client with attachments. As I've already indicated, I have only heard that attachments can be successfully viewed on the 7520 if the email that contains the attachment is sent directly to the address Nextel furnished you with when you initially purchased your 7520 -- the "user@nextel.blackberry.com" address.

If you are successfully receiving "pushed" email from gmail, hotmail or the like, did you set up the pop feature in the gmail/hotmail account, or did you just enter the "user@nextel.blackberry.com" in the auto forward feature of the gmail/hotmail account settings? I recently read that enabling the pop feature in gmail/hotmail significantly increases the time it takes to receive email from that particular account (about every 15 mins) Conversely, if you use the auto forward feature in gmail/hotmail, instead of the pop feature there is hardly any time difference in-between when you receive the email in the account, and when you receive it on the Blackberry and that also lets you receive email from who you want.

Thanks in advance,
Iso
Old 03-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #14
hi-tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am not "pushing" my email. The BWC polls my business pop email from my website (every 15 min? not sure) But its definetly not instant like when addressed to the [email address]

I still received the attachments to my BB including, jpg, word.doc, and pdf.

I set up the pop accounts in the BWC so I am not auto forwarding from my business pop mail either. I assume this would work for gmail and hotmail as long as they are pop enabled.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:44 PM   #15
hi-tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, I just enabled and added my gmail account as a POP to my BWC and sent 2 emails with attachments, I receved both of them 15 min later, 1 gif image and 1 jpg image.

Then I tested the "push" from gmail, auto fwd to [email address] Received email with attachment within 2 minutes of clicking send. Then received the same email again from the BWC with attachment since its still polling the gmail as POP.

This is a Nextel 7520
Old 03-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #16
Isotope

Default Thanks...

Thanks for getting back with me... As my previous post indicated -- I've only heard that you may have better luck using the auto forwarding feature in some pop accounts (gmail/hotmail and the like...) instead of enabling the pop feature. Apparently, if you use the auto forward feature, the time it takes for your BB Client to receive your mail is significantly reduced.

My question is; if you enable auto forward (not the pop feature) in gmail/hotmail or the like – to the standard “user@nextel.blackberry.net” address Nextel assigned to you, will you still be able to receive and view the attachments that are sent to the gmail/hotmail account?

Thanks,
Iso
Old 03-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #17
Isotope

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tech
Ok, I just enabled and added my gmail account as a POP to my BWC and sent 2 emails with attachments, I receved both of them 15 min later, 1 gif image and 1 jpg image.

Then I tested the "push" from gmail, auto fwd to [email address] Received email with attachment within 2 minutes of clicking send. Then received the same email again from the BWC with attachment since its still polling the gmail as POP.

This is a Nextel 7520
You must have posted your reply while I was typing my post... Thanks for the update! So I presume that if you are able to "push" email with attachments from gmail and the like, you are also able to set up filters in gmail, which will forward email and attachments from predestinated addresses... Very nice...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #18
hi-tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

yep exactly, the gmail filters will take affect before the email is pushed, you can probably use the bwc filters for futher filtering before the email is pushed to the BB.
Closed Thread