BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
loveallways

Model: 8703
Default Using 8703e as a wireless modem for the laptop

Please Login to Remove!

Blackberry Gurus,
I have 8703e from Verizon. I want to use it as a wireless modem for my laptop to hook up to the corporate VPN. Please let me know if there is any documentation that tells me how to do this.

Thanks,
I appreciate the help,
Old 12-26-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

The 8700 can't be used wireless as a modem the way it ships in the box..
Old 12-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
icculus

Model: 8700

Anything besides Shark Modem (which doesn't work via Bluetooth) that can do this?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

The only program that I am aware of is shark modem...

Sorry
Old 12-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

The 8703e, when obtained with the BroadBand Connect option (add'l $15/mo), comes with the software necessary to establish a tethered internet connection over the Verizon network (actually, the software isn't strictly necessary, but it has some nice reporting and logging features).

Install the software, plug your BB into the USB port on your laptop, and click on Connect in the VZAccess application. Then fire up your VPN client and you're good to go.

Shark modem not necessary . . . not sure where Bluetooth came into the picture, either. Unless everyone was assuming that when the OP said wireless, he wasn't referring to POTS . . .
Old 12-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
sseligson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobile

I have the tmobile blackberry I think it is the 8700G Can this be used as a modem for my macbook pro laptop?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
deo59
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650

as Dodge said, the 8703 for verizon works great as a tethered modem. You need to add the option to your account and it will connect. The easy way is to dopwnload the VZconnect software from the VZW web site.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
wayne12

Model: 8703e

what about with sprint can this be done on a pc and mac laptop? if so what application do I need?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
scaredpoet
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: iPhon
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne12
what about with sprint can this be done on a pc and mac laptop? if so what application do I need?
Yes, you can tether with the 8703e on Sprint. The unlimited Blackberry data plan automatically provides tethering at no extra cost.

For the PC, you need to download Sprint's Connection Manager Software. You can get that software here:

Sprint PCS Software: Sprint PCS Connection Manager Software from Sprint

In the drop down list, select the operating system OF YOUR LAPTOP/DESKTOP (not your Blackberry device), and download "Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem/USB Cables."

Then, install the software. During the installation process, you'll have multiple options for isntalling drivers. Just make sure the Blackberry drivers are checked.

restart your computer and that should be it. From then on, you can connect by launching the connection manager, connecting your 8703e, and clicking on "Go."

Unfortunately, it looks like Mac OS is not supported, but Windows is.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:29 AM   #10
bigrockford

Model: 8700g
Default 8700x as a modem

Try brainmurmurs dot com... i am using it on my 8700g.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
IT_Support

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default Connecting a computer to the Internet using a CDMA BB device as a tethered modem

You may find the following TID useful to do so.

Environment
BlackBerry® 7130e
BlackBerry 7250 Wireless Handheld
BlackBerry 8703e Wireless Handheld
BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 and later
Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows XP
Personal computer or laptop computer with an Intel® 486 or higher processor

Note: Research In Motion® (RIM®) provides some support for the tethered modem; the installation of the Standard Modem Driver is supported. See KB05178 for more details about support for the tethered modem.

Important: Ask your service provider if you require a user name and password to configure dial-up networking (see Task 4 in this article). Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem.
Procedures
A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a personal computer or laptop computer to the Internet.

Summary of Tasks
To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later (one time only)
Configure dial-up networking (one time only)
Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking
------

Task 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later on the computer.

When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software , the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

------

Task 2

To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.
Windows XP Operating System
Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
Click Next.
Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
In the Phone number field, type #777. Click Next.
Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
Click Finish.
In the Connect window, click Properties.
In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
In the Properties window, click OK.
Windows 2000 Operating System
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
Click Next.
Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
In the Phone number field, type #777. Click Next.
Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
In the Connect window, click Properties.
In the Properties window, verify that Modem ? Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
In the Properties window, click OK.
------

Task 3

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The BlackBerry device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.

Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Note: If Microsoft Outlook® is not operating in cache mode, you might receive a message indicating that BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot contact the messaging server. If this message appears, click Cancel to proceed.

------

Task 4

Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.
Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
Open Blackberry Desktop Manager.
Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > .
If your service provider requires you to enter a user name and password, enter the information in the fields provided. Otherwise, leave the fields blank.
Click Dial.

------

Additional Information
For instructions on how to connect a computer to the Internet using a GPRS, EDGE, or UMTS BlackBerry device as a tethered modem, see KB05196.
------
Products & Services:
BlackBerry Desktop Software
Version 4.1
Version 4.2
BlackBerry Devices
BlackBerry 7100 Series
BlackBerry 7200 Series
BlackBerry 8700 Series
Old 01-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
hondaguy900
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint (really miss Verizon)

If I get the Broadband Access Connect feature for $15/month from Verizon for my Blackberry 8703e, will I be able to make and receive phone calls on the Blackberry while my laptop is connected to the internet?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
JayKaps

Model: 8703e

hondaguy, it will knock you off the net if you get a call (which isn't bad, I prefer this over the person calling being sent to voicemail.) I have the feature with Verizon, and must say, it works great.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #14
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I spend almost an entire day at the office connected to my laptop via my BB 8703 thru Verizon each week. The speeds are great, and I love being able to use my personal computer as compared to a company product.

When you receive a phone call it will knock you off of the web, however as soon as you hang up the phone call you are right back online. Great feature IMO.

If tethering is important to you, I can't even begin to recommend you paying the extra $15 with Verizon.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

Has anyone used their Alltel 8703 for tethered connections?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

The OP question was can it be used for a wireless connection..... I think everyone knows it can be used wired.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveallways
Blackberry Gurus,
I want to use it as a wireless modem
Old 01-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
The OP question was can it be used for a wireless connection..... I think everyone knows it can be used wired.....
Oh yeah? Where do I plug in the RJ-11 connector to connect it to a phone jack?

When you hear the term "wired modem," do you automatically think of a cell phone and USB connection? Yeah, I didn't think so. I'm pretty sure that most people will assume that "wireless modem" most commonly refers to the connection beween the modem and service provider, not the connection between the computer and the modem.

In other words, I don't think you can draw that conclusion . . . he may not have known that the 8703e could be used as any sort of modem. And if he was referring to Bluetooth capability, the term is so common nowadays that I can't imagine why he wouldn't specify it. Unfortunately, he didn't say "Can the 8703e be used as a Bluetooth modem?"
Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #18
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

So wireless now means wired? Wow thanks for the insight :rolleyes:
Old 01-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #19
notoriousslav

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Hi guys,
i have a 8703e from sprint and i downloaded the software from the site like you told me to. When i connect it to my laptop the device manager recognizes it but the sprint modem program does not. It says connect phone when it is already connected.

thanks for the help
Old 01-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #20
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
So wireless now means wired? Wow thanks for the insight :rolleyes:
Wireless still means wireless. You're just focusing on the irrelevant side of the connection. My ancient Moto TimePort 8767 functioned as a wireless modem. The OmniSky sled I had for my Palm Vx functioned as a wireless modem. My 8703e functions (very nicely!) as a wireless modem. The fact that the connection method between the DTE and DCE happens to be wired is totally irrelevant.

Let me ask you this: is a PC with a USB-attached 802.11B adapter wirelessly connected to the network? Of course it is. Just as my laptop is wirelessly connected to the internet when I'm using my USB-attached 8703E to connect to the EVDO network.
Closed Thread