Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #41
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Borg.... that White Paper is actually very good and easy to understand.

I knew about controller limitations years ago when I noticed that many devices I had [cameras and MP3 players] said that the max chip size was xxgb.

I recently bought some 4GB SD chips to use as drives and I had to buy special thumb drives that were SDHC compliant. My readers for other SD chips would not read the 4GB SDHC chips. And just to be curious, I tried them on all my devices, hoping I guess, but none of them could read the 4GB SDHC chips.

As I said in another thread, there's going to be a lot of disappointed people [and returns to retailers] when they find out they can't use any ol' chip simply because the chip looks the same as the one a device uses.

Great find, that paper.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #42
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
i'm surprised no 3rd party has come out with a bolt-on 80GB drive for berries.

that would probably make apple cry.
Actually, I have heard talk around the Net that RIM is developing the USB port so that one can hook up various peripherals to the phone's USB port . Not sure what that all will mean, it could have been bar talk by people who talk in bars.

I'm sure, however, we can imagine all the possibilities. Heck, the Pearl 2 specs, along with the ability to use 4GB chips, is damn amazing when you remember that the phone weighs less than a paltry McDonald's hamburger.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #43
swifty2happy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Vodafone Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGregPearl View Post
I have 2Gb running on my 8100.

Works perfectly.
same havnt had any issues...
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #44
snowskier79

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBorg View Post
Ah! Found some more specific info in a SanDisk white paper, SDHC1.pdf. In short, 4GB cards won't work in a 2GB slot.

There is a file system incompatibility - specifically microSD uses a FAT 16 file system while microSDHC uses an SD FAT 32 file system.

Further, "4GB SDHC/miniSDHC/microSDHC cards can only work wiht SDHC/miniSDHC/microSDHC compatible host devices." That means the controller chip has to be microSDHC specific.

To further complicate the issue there are some non-compliant 4GB cards on the market - will not work with a true microHDSC device and may not work with a legacy microSD device.

Here's a link to the white paper and a FAQ, not for the non-techie:
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/retail/SDHC1.pdf

That all being said, there must be by now a controller (host) that can translate between both standards. But it's not an issue of a firmware upgrade.

For the Pearls that supposedly do support 4GB, they are probably only getting access to 2GB.
Nice find Borg!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #45
laurentio
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700b
PIN: Feel free to ask.
Carrier: O2-UK

you're right. it shows only 2gb. :(
sorry.
linkedin.com/in/laurentio
Old 07-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #46
Jasper101
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

So, we still have not completely resolved weather the 4GB card will work, there have been some people claim that they were able to get a 4gb card to work on the pearl. I am sceptical that they could actually get 4Gb of data on it, i suspect that it might seem to work but it will be limited to 2gb.

Some people at pinstack have been having a similar discussion, and they have claimed that it does in fact work?

4GB SD Card Support? - RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com

If some one wants to buy me a 4Gb micro SD card, I would gladly post back with my results
Old 07-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #47
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

exactly... John why dont you buy one and let us know what you think? lol we all trust your opinion, same with Jsanders! lol

maybe we should get a donation bin going for them, everyone puts in 2 cents then we'll have enough for both of them to get a 4gb card lol
Old 07-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #48
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
Actually, I have heard talk around the Net that RIM is developing the USB port so that one can hook up various peripherals to the phone's USB port . Not sure what that all will mean, it could have been bar talk by people who talk in bars.
What they'd have to be doing is implementing a USB host in hardware, which is more expensive manufacturing than a USB client only (slave, whatever you want to call it). Most device makers avoid adding host capability (cameras, mp3 players, etc) to shave off $$$ and programming complexity.

Offtopic: the USB spec allows for client only, host only, or host+client; it's much cheaper per unit to build a client only USB hardware capability into a device. Interestingly this spec feature is pointed to as the reason USB beat Firewire in the marketplace -- the Firewire spec decrees that a device has to be both host and client, so the cost of manufacturing a device with Firewire capability is actually a lot more than a USB one. Most devices already have a very thin profit margin, so using a more expensive chip/circuit/code design is not a good business choice when you're looking at producing 2 million units.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #49
blakeatl

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
i'm surprised no 3rd party has come out with a bolt-on 80GB drive for berries.

that would probably make apple cry.
Lol.....I can see the mini iomega 160 gig drive hooked up to the Pearl all now.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #50
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a

For anyone who says their 4GB SDhc works (whether or not you see all the bits beyond 2GB in the OS):

Take a pic in macro mode on your camera of the inside back of the Pearl where the SD card fits in (maybe swing up the retaining door so we can see under it, too). This way people can look at your 'working' unit innards and compare it to the ones they have, maybe there's an obvious visual difference on these new units that work with 4GB SDhc.

Make sure you get the entire sticker too under the battery (blank out your IMEI and PIN for privacy!), since it includes manufacture codes which might prove useful -- for example a Motorola sticker includes the transceiver that is used, which people use to know how a device is made. I'm looking at my 8100 sticker right now and see a lot of codes which might tell us about the manufacture info (I don't - yet - know what they all mean).
Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #51
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
exactly... John why dont you buy one and let us know what you think? lol we all trust your opinion, same with Jsanders! lol

maybe we should get a donation bin going for them, everyone puts in 2 cents then we'll have enough for both of them to get a 4gb card lol
eh, I don't have a Pearl (wife does, but I can't get it out of her hands long enough to update the OS, let alone play with a 4gig card in it).

But thanks for the offer!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:35 AM   #52
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
What they'd have to be doing is implementing a USB host in hardware, which is more expensive manufacturing than a USB client only
Some of Broadcom's latest processors for mobile devices implement at least limited usb host capabilities (OTG) at 12 Mbps. Most notably the HSDPA baseband processor (p/n BCM2152). The list of features is sick! Ya just gotta love SoC integration.

Broadcom Corporation - BCM2152 - HSDPA/WCDMA/EDGE/GPRS/GSM Multimedia Baseband Processor

Point being the USB host capabilities on mobile devices is becoming more feasible with next-gen 3G processors.

Rivvie, I've got 3 guesses at your job: embedded design, systems guy or a hardware designer?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #53
fritter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

well my sandisk 4gb card came in last night and i installed it this morning and the first good sign was that it reconized the total space of 3.79gb so i formatted the card and it successfully formatted the card and i connected my pearl to the pc to see how big it would show as a mass storage drive and it show as a 4gb drive. Now for the specs of my pearl its 1st gen i bought the phone the release day from tmobile and i have the latest OS on it v4.2.1.101. hope this helps
Old 07-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #54
7100simpleisbetter

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
well my sandisk 4gb card came in last night and i installed it this morning and the first good sign was that it reconized the total space of 3.79gb so i formatted the card and it successfully formatted the card and i connected my pearl to the pc to see how big it would show as a mass storage drive and it show as a 4gb drive. Now for the specs of my pearl its 1st gen i bought the phone the release day from tmobile and i have the latest OS on it v4.2.1.101. hope this helps

Although it shouldn't matter, can you tell what brand of card it is and where you bought it and the price?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #55
fritter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter View Post
Although it shouldn't matter, can you tell what brand of card it is and where you bought it and the price?

amazon.com, $60, sandisk 4gb not sdhc though
Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #56
7100simpleisbetter

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:

I didn't think they made a non-sdhc 4gb, can you provide a link to what you purchased. For that price I might buy one but want to get the same version you have if it is working. I have a early model Pearl and 4.2.1.101 as well so I am hoping if I get the same order as you had then I will be in business.

Thanks for your posts.

SIB
Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #57
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Very interesting in view of the rest of this thread. Of course the next step is to put about 3gb of music on the card in the Music folder and see if you can access/play it. We'll be waiting...........
Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #58
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

This is the only one on Amazon that I can see. The descriptions doesn't say SDHC but the picture shows SDHC.

Amazon.com: SanDisk 4GB MicroSD / Transflash with SD & Mini Adapter BULK Packaging: Electronics
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #59
buggle_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Lol sold out...I wonder what group of people did that. ;)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #60
musiclee@verizon.net

PIN: N/A

EVERYONE....

FINALLY... IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS

FINALLY... my 4GB Sandisk SDHC is recognized on my PEARL

AND NO IT"S NOT A HARDWARE THING like some people say.

DEFINITELY a firmware thing

Just load the latest (.101) on this site.

T-Mob has some catching up to do ...

and THE SADDEST THING IS that neither T-Mob nor Blackberry people could figure out why is was not working,,, and i spoke to lots of tech people from both (not sales guys)

SO GO OUT AND BUY A 4gb, it will see it, and read about 3.7 + gigs
Closed Thread