BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:36 AM   #1
Stanleys mom

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Is there such a thing as a BB-friendly carrier?

Please Login to Remove!

ATT reception at my new home is so-so (one-two bars), and someone suggested that a BB might pull in a stronger signal. Is that possible?

If not, is T-M (which neighbors recommend) a BB-friendly alternative? Or do they block BB features? (Verizon -- which has a great signal here -- isn't in the running since they won't allow a GPS on a BB, and I can't add Opera-Mini)
Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
C. Gomez
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Not really. Some phones have better reception than others, so you'd just have to take that on a case by case basis so maybe see if a friend has one and you can check the reception in your home. T-Mobile and AT&T would be fine providers of service and allowed Java apps. to run as does Sprint.

As for the AT&T vs. T-Mo thing, they're both GSM carriers and share quite a few towers so I'd say their coverage would be very similar, T-Mobile usually ranked lower due to not having 850Mhz towers and fewer roaming agreements.

But yeah, check it out.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleys mom View Post
If not, is T-M (which neighbors recommend) a BB-friendly alternative? Or do they block BB features?
tmo has one of the best priced data-only BB plans for personal, non-BES usage, with included SMS. the BB add-on for voice plans is priced fairly, and their BB voice+data plans are competitve.

possibly the best aspect of having BB as your tmo service is that when you swap handsets to a non-BB device you will still have full, open t-zones (WAP browing) access. it's possible that other carriers have this as well, but i can't say that i've seen mention of it.

i can't speak for GPS, but someone else likely can, and Opera Mini will work, according to what i've read. as for other features, at the time i type this i can't think of anything other carrier BB users do with their 'berrys that i cannot.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There do seem to be some unfriendly carriers, from what I gather. As said above, TMO has the lowest cost blackberry data plan for U.S. Also, I travel a lot and haven't had coverage problems, but granted my travels aren't usually to very rural areas. For what it's worth, I don't have anything bad to say about TMO.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Is there such a thing as a BB-friendly carrier?
Yup -- any that offer BB data plans.

Quote:
ATT reception at my new home is so-so (one-two bars), and someone suggested that a BB might pull in a stronger signal. Is that possible?
Probably not. BB reception is oretty good for a cell phone but unless your other phone is extremely poor you won't see an iimprovement in reception by changing to a BB. This is exaclty why we always say select your carrier first based on coverage as your top concern. Cheap plans, good customer service and all that are great but your wireless device is an expensive paperweight without good coverage.

Quote:
If not, is T-M (which neighbors recommend) a BB-friendly alternative? Or do they block BB features? (Verizon -- which has a great signal here -- isn't in the running since they won't allow a GPS on a BB, and I can't add Opera-Mini)
Verizon's the only carrier I'm aware of that truly cripples their BB's and it's just the GPS. You should be able to install Opera Mini -- I doubt your problem is Verizon. What problems are you having installing Opera Mini?

Last edited by takeshi; 07-27-2007 at 08:40 AM..
Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

T-Mobile does not block ANY features from the device except for RIM's IM apps.

Also, FWIW, my BlackBerry devices have had the best reception of any device I've owned on any carrier (I've used them on T-Mobile, at&t, and Sprint).
Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
King-B

Model: 8100
PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom

Tmobile would probably be the best national BB-friendly carrier. But if you want something cheaper with more or less features, check out a regional carrier near you
Old 07-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Stanleys mom

Model: none
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Verizon's the only carrier I'm aware of that truly cripples their BB's and it's just the GPS. You should be able to install Opera Mini -- I doubt your problem is Verizon. What problems are you having installing Opera Mini?
The three Verizon people I talked to had never heard of Opera Mini, and one of them told me I couldn't install ANY 3rd party program on ANY Verizon-supported phone.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

dc, I only use the Yahoo Messenger from mobile.blackberry.com so maybe (probably) you know something I don't, but that app does work on TMO.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
waldog

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by penk View Post
tmo has one of the best priced data-only BB plans for personal, non-BES usage, with included SMS.
I ordered my BB 8100 and have the $10 unlimited messages for my family plan and t-mo said that the sms messages are NOT included with a BB data plan. So what's the deal? Did I get scammed into paying $10 that I don't need to? I have the $20 BB add-on.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #11
jlbdca

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
The three Verizon people I talked to had never heard of Opera Mini, and one of them told me I couldn't install ANY 3rd party program on ANY Verizon-supported phone.
Those people are wrong. Opera Mini is running (such as it does) on my 8830 just fine, tho I rarely use it.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldog
Quote:
Originally Posted by penk View Post
tmo has one of the best priced data-only BB plans for personal, non-BES usage, with included SMS.

I ordered my BB 8100 and have the $10 unlimited messages for my family plan and t-mo said that the sms messages are NOT included with a BB data plan. So what's the deal? Did I get scammed into paying $10 that I don't need to? I have the $20 BB add-on.
BB data plan with TMO is data only. Text messaging is not data.

Last edited by aiharkness; 07-27-2007 at 07:33 PM..
Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #13
penk

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldog View Post
no, you were not scammed or misled.

to clarify what aiharkness wrote: the BB add-on for $20/mo includes unlimited email and interent, but as SMS is not considered data, none are included. since there is no BB-specific FamilyTalk plan, the add-on is necessary if you wish to share minutes.

the plan i mentioned is the BlackBerry Unlimited for $29.99/mo - no included voice minutes, just unlimited email, web browsing with 300 SMS included

the Minutes & More plans listed here include voice minutes along with unlimited SMS, but you can see the obvious differences in pricing.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

Some phones have better signal than others. It depends on the area. In my house I have 2 bars in some parts of the house, but as soon as I step outside, I have a full 4 bars. Weird ... same with my Tmobile phone. But, for the most part anyone providing BB service works well.

I would just never go back to Verizon because for the most part they don't care about their customers and cripple their devices to remove choices from you, the consumer, to funnel you into using pre-determined services where you must pay extra. They have ALWAYS done this.

Personally, I still pay for Tmobile, AT&T, and Verizon. My ex wife still has my Treo on Verizon. My son has my tmobile BB 7100t until my contract runs out, and I have my AT&T Pearl. The best reception though, is Verizon. The next best is AT&T. Tmobile service is EXTREMELY patchy and is the reason I am getting rid of them.
Closed Thread