Old 11-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Thumbs down SMS spam

Please Login to Remove!

Yesterday I got a sms message from a dentist I went to only once over 2 1/2 years ago. The message was something like... we now have the ability to keep you informed by email and text messages blah blah... I was annoyed but didn't call them, hoping it was a one time notification. But no... today at 10:00 AM I got another message from them. So I called the office and gave them a piece of my mind. Sending unsolicited SMS messages is worse than email spam. I rarely use SMS and don't have it on my plan, so every message costs 15 cents -- not that the cost is really a factor, but sending unsolicited messages is outrageous IMO. I *hope* they get a lot of irate customers calling about it.

Fortunately they don't have my email address, but if they did and spammed me, I'd report them to every spam tracking outfit I know of and hope they got blacklisted.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yup I'd be a bit irritated myself if I was receiving unsolicited text fortunately I have unlimited text!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

If you do not use SMS, you can block all incoming SMS messages by going to Options/Security Options/Firewall and you should see it under Block Incoming Messages.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Blocking incoming SMS would stop the annoyance, but would it stop the charges??
Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

If you have not had SMS delivered to your phone, should you be charged for that SMS?
That is a good question to ask your wireless carrier billing department.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
skippy126
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I tried using the blocking feature within the blackberry firewall, and while it blocked the messages, it still resulted in being charged for the messages. The block is only on a handheld level...from everything I've read, in order for a block to not only block the message, but also prevent being charged, such a block would need to come from a network level.

I currently have AT&T, and for the last few months, I've been getting SPAM text messages...not only are they SPAM, but they are also coming from AT&T themselves. The messages are some sort of advertisement for a contest or something for MediaNET. The messages state that if you want to unsubscribe, to reply with the word "stop". I have done that countless times and the messages still keep coming in (being charged for each and every one too). I called AT&T and told them to stop these messages. I figured that since they were coming from AT&T, they should be able to turn them off. I was apparently wrong. They told me that even though the messages were coming from AT&T, they had no control over starting or stopping them (sad when AT&T can't even control their own content). I was given three options (all of which sucked): 1. Block all text messages from being delivered to my phone, 2. Pay for a text message plan, or 3. Just continue to pay for them. I refuse to do any of these...I filed a complaint with the FCC because in my opinion, these unsolicited text messages are violating the CAN-SPAM Act.

If anyone has any other/better solutions, please let me know!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy126 View Post
I tried using the blocking feature within the blackberry firewall, and while it blocked the messages, it still resulted in being charged for the messages. The block is only on a handheld level...from everything I've read, in order for a block to not only block the message, but also prevent being charged, such a block would need to come from a network level.

I currently have AT&T, and for the last few months, I've been getting SPAM text messages...not only are they SPAM, but they are also coming from AT&T themselves. The messages are some sort of advertisement for a contest or something for MediaNET. The messages state that if you want to unsubscribe, to reply with the word "stop". I have done that countless times and the messages still keep coming in (being charged for each and every one too). I called AT&T and told them to stop these messages. I figured that since they were coming from AT&T, they should be able to turn them off. I was apparently wrong. They told me that even though the messages were coming from AT&T, they had no control over starting or stopping them (sad when AT&T can't even control their own content). I was given three options (all of which sucked): 1. Block all text messages from being delivered to my phone, 2. Pay for a text message plan, or 3. Just continue to pay for them. I refuse to do any of these...I filed a complaint with the FCC because in my opinion, these unsolicited text messages are violating the CAN-SPAM Act.

if you did not give your number to be solicited by sms, file complaints with the fcc.

a cell phone does not need to be a do not call list, since its exempt due to having charges in and out.

then call att and make them credit you for them, dont take no crap, file for each sms complaints to fcc. they will stop.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
skippy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
if you did not give your number to be solicited by sms, file complaints with the fcc.

a cell phone does not need to be a do not call list, since its exempt due to having charges in and out.

then call att and make them credit you for them, dont take no crap, file for each sms complaints to fcc. they will stop.
Yeah, thats exactly what I'm doing. I'm sick and tired of being nickel and dimed by cell phone companies...especially for junk I don't want/ask for.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

i agree, i find it repulsive that they stoop so low, then support on this subject is so ignorant :(
Old 11-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
skippy126

Thumbs up

Here is the link to the FCC complaint form for text messages (among other things):

FCC Complaint Form
Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #11
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Here is the link to the FCC complaint form for text messages (among other things):

FCC Complaint Form
Oooo... great link! Thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
matthewk

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

1) Go to the main tmobile.com website
2) Log in with your phone number and password to My Tmobile.
3) Click on Communication Tools
4) On the upper right side, there is a box that says Resources. In that box, click on Create Spam and Keyword Filters.
5) Choose yes for Block all messages from E-Mail to handset, and hit update.

This will all the text that aren't phone2phone from what I understand.

Note: there is a bug where it sometimes reports a webpage error when trying to update; just ignore that (it should have done the update even though the error shows).

Last edited by matthewk; 11-26-2007 at 03:23 PM..
Old 11-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
emill84
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 24071E95
Carrier: ATT

Even dentists now?!

Ha. Thats one of the worst things I've ever heard.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #14
hrmles1

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

Verizon will occasionally send unsolicited text messages but they are always "gratis". I can't believe that AT&T charges you to receive their unwanted junk!
Old 12-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #15
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

I'm sure if they send it they won't charge you.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #16
Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: IsSharpAndPointy
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
1) Go to the main tmobile.com website
2) Log in with your phone number and password to My Tmobile.
3) Click on Communication Tools
4) On the upper right side, there is a box that says Resources. In that box, click on Create Spam and Keyword Filters.
5) Choose yes for Block all messages from E-Mail to handset, and hit update.

This will all the text that aren't phone2phone from what I understand.

Note: there is a bug where it sometimes reports a webpage error when trying to update; just ignore that (it should have done the update even though the error shows).
By any chance do you/anyone know if Verizon Wireless has this option too?
Closed Thread