Old 03-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
ksc6000
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Unhappy Think I really fried my phone badly today

Please Login to Remove!

This is going to sound very very strange...

I have a 8120, with Tmobile. Absolutely love this phone.
I use one of those chill pad fans for my laptop. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...PL._AA280_.jpg Like that. It uses a wire which goes into the USB port of the laptop for power. Recently I think I bent the wire or pulled it in a way which probably broke a part of of the internal wire, so that it only works if the wire is now fully stretched out...which I think means it has a short in it (I'm not too good with electrical).

Anyways, I charge my phone at night, and when I woke up it was at 100%, as usual. I made a call and then put my phone next to my laptop. It was sitting on that chill pad's wire. An hour later i picked up my phone, the battery was at 5%. I was really surprised. How could it go from 100 to 5% in an hour? I felt it had to do something with it being on top of that wire for the chill pad which is messing up.

So I charged my phone, and it was working like normal otherwise. I was making calls, and sent some blackberry messages back and forth. However, when I came into work today, it was not sending or receiving any data. No blackberry messenger messages or any data through the browser, or email were being transmitted. It was showing a full EDGE signal like normal. So I just did a battery pull, which seems to fix almost every problem. And it loaded up normally, full EDGE signal, but still not being able to send or recieve data. In BB messenger it just keeps showing that clock when I try to send a message, it never turns into the checkmark. I tried another battery pull, and still no luck. I called my friend who lives closeby who also has Tmobile and the same 19.99/month data plan, and he said his was working fine. So I called tmobile, they said nothing is wrong on their end, no outages or anything, they asked me to pull my battery out again, and they would reset my connection on their end while I did that. And now I'm only getting a lowercase "edge" signal, and still no luck. I really am starting to think that I must've shocked the phone when I put it on top of that wire or something. I don't know what else to do.

Anybody have any ideas or should I just throw this phone out and get a new one(I don't have a warranty on it as I bought this from someone 2-3 months back, I originally had a 8100 through Tmobile)?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
tom127

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Perhaps a wipe or at least a back up would fix the problem. Have you installed any new software over the last few days? Maybe the wire did not cause the problem. You should be able to use your warranty to fix the phone if none of this works. Good luck
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
BobMarley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile

if wiping doesn't help, ebay it, don't through it out!
Motorola TimePort: 98 - 02
Motorola Microtac: 92 - 98
Closed Thread