Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #1
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t
Default What causes memory leak?

Please Login to Remove!

I did a search and read some of the posts on memory leak, but I don't fully understand it. It appears that I get a slight memory leak everyday. I deleted all the unwanted languages and other apps that I do not use. The extra apps that I am using are Google Maps, Microhill Stock viewer and Magmic Blackjack Highroller game. I make sure I close apps when I am finished with them (escape out of them and do an alt/escape to make sure nothing else is running). I also delete my internet cache out everyday. I do get the hour glass once in a while when navigating through apps and when surfing the net sometimes. So, what exactly causes memory leak and how can it be fixed? Overall, I am happy with my Pearl and it's performance, but I think the performance could be more opitmal on my device. Maybe?
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
linuxpro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone UK

I have the same problem with my pearl and as far as i am aware there is no fix for this problem

Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
GMK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

This problem exists due to the programs and the OS not cleaning up after themselves when you properly exit programs. It took Bill Gates and company a long time to get their arms around this in Windows and its still not perfect. Maybe you recall some years back you could, for $19.95, get a little utility program that "frees up your memory." Well, what they did is see what programs are actually running and if not, they would return the memory addresses to the memory pool. Same thing here. Only we don't have that little program.

A reboot seems to accomplish this to some degree. Many posters believe in a weekly or so reboot. Can't hurt, likely helps. The best thing to do is to properly exit programs via menu or the ALT key.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

i can say... that with the .71 os i would say this has been fixed 90% of the time....

Most applications actually close when i hit the back button. There are some that still stay open like media manager... you can tell by hitting alt back button to see what is open.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
HI-Tek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I never had this problem when I used an 8700c.
Now I have to monitor my memory so my emails won't get deleted cause of the leak. I hope they address this soon.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I'm not convinced there IS a major memory leak. I use my BB for about 4 solid hours a day, and I don't ever have to reboot for this reason.

I think people are just forgetting (or not knowing) that they have to manually close their programs in order to free the memory back up when they're finished using them. Pressing escape or hang-up does not close programs, it just removes them from the screen.

I think people probably have 10 programs open, but none of them up on the screen, and then think "Gee, this thing is slow..." and reboot.

For those who don't know, holding down alt+escape will show you all open programs. When my BB does get slow, I look through these and close any open programs I don't need. Works every time.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
kathrynhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI-Tek
I never had this problem when I used an 8700c.
Now I have to monitor my memory so my emails won't get deleted cause of the leak. I hope they address this soon.
Have you tried deleting all the extra languages, etc. to free up room?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
GMK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr
I think people are just forgetting (or not knowing) that they have to manually close their programs in order to free the memory back up when they're finished using them. Pressing escape or hang-up does not close programs, it just removes them from the screen.
I beg to differ. Using the escape button for most progreams does properly close them. If our measure of program closure is that an exited program does not show up in Switch Application then ESC works with every program I just tried it on, including Google maps, voice recorder, Klondike and few others.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
kathrynhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK
I beg to differ. Using the escape button for most progreams does properly close them. If our measure of program closure is that an exited program does not show up in Switch Application then ESC works with every program I just tried it on, including Google maps, voice recorder, Klondike and few others.
It's the "most" I have a problem with. Escape doesn't close everything out of Switch Application (it has zero effect on Opera Mini, for example), so we have to assume it doesn't always communicate effectively with third-party applications at least. I've never had a problem with the preinstalled software persisting in memory, I grant you, but I will say that the only thing that works for me 100% of the time is closing the application I am using from within that application. And since I'm NOT having to reboot constantly due to memory problems, I'd say it's been a pretty effective strategy so far.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

i think it comes to the third party when it comes to closing or not..

magmic is rock solid... there is no close on their games.. you have to hit the back key which kills the app...

devs should implement the back key to close.... i don't think this is a rim issue...

think of the hide when minmized or hide instead of close on windows... same thing...
Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Memory leak does occur. My available memory has decresed following a battery pull even if I did not open any program, just received (and deleted) emails and calls. I remember it went down like 2mb in a couple of hours once. Now it's been holding at about 23mb for days without my doing anything except closing programs, and deleting email. I don't think anyone really can explain it. It just happens. Maybe the thing that tells you how much free memory you have is goofed up, like some battery meters.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #12
myet01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703E
Carrier: Sprint

As a developer I can tell you there is only one thing that causes memory leaks - POOR CODING, PLAIN AND SIMPLE no matter what anyone else tells you!

Tony
Old 01-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #13
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
Carrier: tmo

Yup, bad programming & poor testing are the only reasons for memory leaks.