Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
The Prophet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Net Neutrality and Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

This is why the FCC is off base with net neutrality.

Blackberry Wants to Force Netflix to Develop App Through Net Neutrality Rules - The Hollywood Reporter
Old 02-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Net Neutrality and Blackberry

I think the commentary on Chen's argument misstated his rationale. I didn't hear Chen saying developers be forced to develop for BlackBerry.

My understanding is BlackBerry doesn't, for example, want to force Netfilx to develop a BlackBerry app. The information I've read and seen discussed is that BlackBerry wanted to develop the app but Netfilx either didn't cooperate outright or demanded an exorbitant fee. Of course it is reasonable to say if BlackBerry couldn't pay then it couldn't play, but only so long as the intended result wasn't to keep BlackBerry from playing.

So Chen's point was that given the objective, focus should be wide, not just on the pipes, and should include content providers. It's also noteworthy that Chen wasn't disagreeing in principal with net neutrality, only the details.