Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
momenso

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TIM
Arrow Magnetometer

Please Login to Remove!

Although augmented reality (AR) applications are becoming very appealing and easy to use on phones like the iphone and android, the blackberry platform seems to be still missing this important piece of hardware that allows AR applications to be deployed.

Does anybody knows when an built-in magnetometer sensor will be available on the blackberry platform?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Why would you need a magnetometer in a cell phone? Isn't gps sufficient?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
momenso

Depending on your application it may be sufficient but not really for an AR application. An augmented reality application really requires a lot more precision than what the GPS can provide.

Just imagine that you're going to render graphical data in real-time over the camera video stream and at every move the user makes this information have to updated. I highly recommend you to see one of these applications in action to see what I mean...

So basically the GPS usually requires the user to move at least (in excellent conditions) 5 meters to get a decent change in orientation. And such requirement is not nearly enough to provide decent orientation resolution to conceive any AR application.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

So what you are saying is in order to get precise orientation, you would need GPS for latitude and longitude coordinates, Magnetometer for heading, and accelerometer for orientation?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
momenso

You're right. I mixed the terms a little bit in my last post but you got the right idea!

I am really looking forward to have all the requirements for building an AR on the blackberry platform. I really miss some information on when an magnetometer sensor will be available on the Blackberry platform.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
So what you are saying is in order to get precise orientation, you would need GPS for latitude and longitude coordinates, Magnetometer for heading, and accelerometer for orientation?
Don't forget Magnetometer also provides depth. Latitude & Longitude coordinates are 2 dimensional, no relation to altitude. Magnetometer, are best used currently in games, yet augmented reality does not rely on a Magnetometer (Yelp doesn't require it on iPhone 3GS). A Magnetometer provides speed, depth (altitude), and rate of motion till impact or sudden stop.

SonyEricsson was the first company to commercially use a Magnetometer for their Shake Control in their music app. A gimic today but it woke up the competition.

a simple 1 man developer (a university student) got the Magnetometer (a secret by Nokia until he sharewared his app) for turning the phone over to silence inbound calls, then a beer simulated drinking app, and then the light-saber app which all began life on Symbian S60 3rd Edition FP1. Gimmicks today of course but you really have to think hard at what its usefulness' are outside of games.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
momenso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
Don't forget Magnetometer also provides depth.
Would you care to elaborate on how can you realize depth from a magnetometer sensor?

Quote:
Magnetometer, are best used currently in games, yet augmented reality does not rely on a Magnetometer (Yelp doesn't require it on iPhone 3GS).
How do you know that Yelp doesn't require the magnetometer to work? How come it doesn't work on the iPhone 3G (without the magnetometer)?

Quote:
A Magnetometer provides speed, depth (altitude), and rate of motion till impact or sudden stop.

SonyEricsson was the first company to commercially use a Magnetometer for their Shake Control in their music app. A gimic today but it woke up the competition.

a simple 1 man developer (a university student) got the Magnetometer (a secret by Nokia until he sharewared his app) for turning the phone over to silence inbound calls, then a beer simulated drinking app, and then the light-saber app which all began life on Symbian S60 3rd Edition FP1. Gimmicks today of course but you really have to think hard at what its usefulness' are outside of games.
I think you are talking about the accelerometer sensor here, right?
Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Yeah. Some people have their concepts a bit screwed up.

- Magentometer : An instrument for measuring the magnitude and direction of a magnetic field.
- Accelerometer : An instrument which can measure the rate of change in velocity with respect to time.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Closed Thread