Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
allenranger2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up Meet the AppleBerry

Please Login to Remove!

iTunes meets Blackberry. Welcome into the world, AppleBerry. (Maybe now we can have some mac support too!)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../Business/home

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 06-06-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Sounds pretty speculative at this point-would be cool to see it happen though...
Old 06-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
xxhiyanxx

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

"The idea ... was floated yesterday by Peter Misek, an analyst with Canaccord Capital Inc., who last year accurately predicted a partnership between RIM and Intel Corp."

that about says it all...
Old 06-07-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
HuwSy

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

An idea/rumor started by an investment company, at the moment i just see this as a method of them effecting share prices here and there somehow. Im sure this rumors been around a few times before too. But none the less it would be nice to see a blackberry able to watch podcasts of tv episodes that have been bought off i-tunes. Make some more multimedia use of the data connections.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
bigmattfromjersey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 31A50A36
Carrier: Sprint

i think rim should make a bb with a media player and sd card slot. that is what i am going to miss from not carrying my i930 once i get my bb 7520 back. but the itunes is a start.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
HuwSy

but external memory has always been left off by design, for the security reasoning behind it an all. so cant see that happening, but something like building in a 4gb ibm microdrive would do
Old 06-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
allenranger2

Model: 8700g

Microdrive = baaaaad. If you were to drop the berry, your risk for losing information and the hd stopping it's spin cycle increases greatly. As the microdrive has moving parts (current flash-based hd doesn't), i think that would be a turn for the worst, even so that microdrives are cheap.

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 06-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
crosstech100

Model: 8100
Thumbs down Removable memory

I am not sure why you all want a memory card slot. And forget the micro drive idea, unless you feel the need to have every song know to man on you Appleberry. They could just stick 1 to 4gb of flash memory in the device and that would be great. Removable memory is a hugh security risk. Plus removable memory will never achive the 10 to 60 gb size that people are looking for. And if you think that it is easier to get data off a removable memory card you are wrong. That is why Blackberries and IPODs come with USB cables. So, please tell me why you all think you need a memory card slot in your Blackberry.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #9
HuwSy

well anyone whos used either a palm or win mobile pda or phone will know that pushing data to it is very slow compared to using a memory card reader. example: pushing a 200mb file accross active sync to an sd card was around 3quarters of an hour, then when running a small app on the ipaq in question that made windows see it as a mass storage device it was around 2 minutes for the same file. The same is true using palm desktop and probibly the same in bb desktop as they all have crc checking and alike to ensure data which is bad when its being handled by the device with 200mhz processor.

But i still cant see any bb get removable storage for the obvious security reasons, just hope the file push system for non executable files is unconcerned with possible corruption.

Maybe not a microdrive specificaly, but something over the 1gb mark to compete with the likes of nokia n sony ericsson, as im sure apple wouldnt want to be 2nd runner to anyone.

What is an apple and a blackberry together, a plumb? the idea of combining the two seams about that at this stage.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
remoteshoppe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t

I understand RIm leavinf memory cards off by design for security reasons but there are a lot more people using BB now and many of them are not government users. Every salesperson, manufacturer rep and product manager I've done business with in the last year has a BB and a USB storage key of some kind right at their side. Forget iTunes... it would be nice to implement these two functions. SD cards don't do because not everyone has a card reader. Personally I think it would be great to see see a BB with a 4GB flash drive built-in and the capability to have 1GB of that memory in a public partition available for instant transfer to any computer just by connecting your BB via a USB cable to the computer. No BB desktop manager, no running programs off that partition... just transfer.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
HuwSy

then every secure environment that currently allow Bb would either have to vet the Bb passing through there doorways or not allow them like almost everyother phone. Thats the main reason thers no removable media, so no unsecure storage medium.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:51 AM   #12
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

With the 64MB devices, and short of on-the-fly backup purposes, there is absolutely NO reason why a BlackBerry device should have extra memory. With a multimedia based version, I do agree that it will need a LOT more memory than 64MB. And there would also need to be a direct path of connectivity between the handheld OS file/storage structure and a person's PC.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:23 AM   #13
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

A BlackBerry with an MP3 player containing a decent amount of storage is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard....apart from Bill Clinton saying "I did not inhale"!!!!!

Old 06-10-2006, 02:37 AM   #14
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
A BlackBerry with an MP3 player containing a decent amount of storage is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard....apart from Bill Clinton saying "I did not inhale"!!!!!
I DEFINITELY AGREE!!! it is a load of crap.

I just can't understand that alot of people wished that their BB has iTunes or plays movies or videos? Why'd you get the BB in the first place? *shakes her head*

And I bet almost everybody has read the thread about who carries another phone besides their BB.. can't help but wonder why carrying your BB and having an iPod video is not an option for you?

I definitely would rather have my "conventional" BB and a cool iPod Nano with an OEM Headset Lanyard than a Blackberry who plays MP3s and plays videos.

I just can't imagine myself going to work in a business suit with a Blackberry that plays iTunes.. lol... I'm imagining already that people I know would look at me like I'm some teenager with a sidekick.

And being an avid BlackBerry cat, that would be adding insult to injury.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:14 AM   #15
Postalrecon

Model: N80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesecatt
I DEFINITELY AGREE!!! it is a load of crap.

I just can't understand that alot of people wished that their BB has iTunes or plays movies or videos? Why'd you get the BB in the first place? *shakes her head*

And I bet almost everybody has read the thread about who carries another phone besides their BB.. can't help but wonder why carrying your BB and having an iPod video is not an option for you?

I definitely would rather have my "conventional" BB and a cool iPod Nano with an OEM Headset Lanyard than a Blackberry who plays MP3s and plays videos.

I just can't imagine myself going to work in a business suit with a Blackberry that plays iTunes.. lol... I'm imagining already that people I know would look at me like I'm some teenager with a sidekick.

And being an avid BlackBerry cat, that would be adding insult to injury.
Right on, let's see what's in my backpack when I fly, blackberry, razr, macbook, small bottle of liquor inside of a coke bottle, sleeping pills(if the alcohol doesn't do it) and an ipod. Yay for flying!!

http://xninjax.vox.com/
Old 06-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #16
crosstech100

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postalrecon
Right on, let's see what's in my backpack when I fly, blackberry, razr, macbook, small bottle of liquor inside of a coke bottle, sleeping pills(if the alcohol doesn't do it) and an ipod. Yay for flying!!

That is fine if you don't mind carrying 25 different items. I hear ya on the booze! But, if people wanted to play some music on their blackberry why not give them the choice. I am not holding a gun to your head to use itunes on you blackberry. I would like to see more memory on the Blackberry so I can take extra files with me when I am traveling. I am not in favor of having a camera on ANY cell phone. Cell phone cameras suck and take crappy pictures.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:11 PM   #17
mike91

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

A Blackberry with iTunes? Didn't anybody learn anything when they tried that s**t with the Motorola 'ROKR' phone?
Old 07-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #18
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

I would much rather see corporate file server integration (perhaps) via the BES server product. I mean having an older, out-of-rev copy of a file that is >8 hours old is sooo 2002.

Local removable storage? Not needed in a corp environment.

Unlimited access to data on corp file servers over EDGE, umts, or hsdpa via BES? That is the future. this is what me users need.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #19
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

appleberry will never happend. i'm sure sooner or later rim will release blackberry's that are capable of playing mp3 without the help of apple's itunes.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 07-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #20
matrixixix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

I already can't wait!