Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
itserica92

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Wifi without Data Plan

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

This is probably asked many times already but I have yet to come across a definite response. I recently received a BB 8900 from ATT. Because its a gift, I don't plan to use the data plan but I would still like to surf the internet. I have yet to activate the phone, but I set up the wifi and it works great. The steps that I took was that I went to the Browser to check the settings. (I only have one browser unlike other ATT BB users) The browser was already set to Hotspot Browser when I went to Options then Browser Config. So I then next went to the General properties and the default browser was already set to Hotspot Browser. At this point, I am assuming that I am using Wifi only. But my concern is that since I have my mobile connection unchecked and only my Wifi connection checked. Does this mean that when I do activate the phone, I will not be able to make phone calls or receive/send sms?

Also, out of curiosity I went to Mobile Network Options under Manage Connection. There, I saw Data Services set as "on," so I switched it to "off" cus I assumed that was related to data plan. At this point, the browser did not work. So, I switched it back on.

I have also read that if the Wifi logo at the top of the screen is grey, that means I am not connected to wifi, so I became concerned that I was using data.

Overall, my question is that the method that I currently have set up. Is that the successful way to surf the internet using Wifi without a data plan?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

You can use SMS and make phone calls without a data plan.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
itserica92

Model: 8120
Carrier: att

So I did a bit more searching. I found another posting regarding the TCP where you delete the entries for the apn settings.

I would post the link but I cannot because the forum will not let. But the forum will not let me. The steps were:

"Go to Options >Advanced Options >TCP and delete the entries for the apn settings.

Then go to Options >Advanced Options >Browser and set the default browser to Wifi (Hotspot) Browser."

Is that necessary in order to use just wifi and not get charged for data?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

APN (Access Point Name) settings tell the device how to access the internet directly over the wireless carrier's internet gateway. Deleting that data may prevent some applications from using direct access, but applications can introduce their own APN settings on a per connection bases. I don't believe the BB browser does this, but YMMV.

Setting the default browser to the WiFi (Hotspot) browsers, and ensuring all your bookmarks are also set that way is a good start. Then be careful about which applications you allow to access the net.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
gamer716

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&t

Hey, I have a blackberry Curve 8900 and got wifi to work on it. this is what i did:

1. Make sure Data is On -> To check, Go to Menu, Then Options, then Mobile Network, then check if Data Services is set to "On" (You dont have to turn your mobile network off)

2. Check to see if you got hotspot browser enabled. -> Go to Menu, then Options, then Advanced Options, and to Browser. The "Default browser configuration" should be set to Hotspot Browser.

3. I think thats about it....another step I took that you can do if it still doesn't work is: delete the APN Info...all of it so looks like this
Username for APN:
Password for APN:
(You can find APN under TCP/IP in the Advanced Options menu)

Let me know if this works
Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
araknis

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

I have a similar problem. I have a normal data (Not BB) so I am able to pull data, but obviously cannot connect to BB services. When I am at home, I want to use my Wifi connection for data. However, no matter what settings I change (main one being changing default browser to the WiFi (Hotspot)), the data is still going through AT&T. I see my ssid next to AT&T and the wifi logo as grey.

If I delete the AT&T settings under TCP/IP, I won't be able to use AT&T data when I'm not connected to wifi.

Is what I'm trying to accomplish possible?

Last edited by araknis; 12-07-2009 at 12:46 AM..
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

How do you know your data is going by AT&T. Turn your radio off once connected to a Wi-Fi router and see if you can use the hot spot browser.

Without a Blackberry Data Plan, the Wi-Fi logo will never turn white.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

By default, if wifi is available the device will use that connection. Additionally, you see the words AT&T next to your ssid because your cell antennae is on (connected to mobile service). It does not mean you're getting data through AT&T.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
mrfaria4

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-mobile

I have a 8900 through T-mobile, using their recommended wifi router and phone works fine with phone and text which do not come out of my plan minutes/texts.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 AM   #10
ziyapp

Model: 8520
Carrier: STARHUB

I recently bought a blackberry curve 8520.My plan is with Data (but limited data usage plan ) I wanted to use wifi when i am at home or office in order to reduce my data charges. To do so make sure the following settings

A. Make sure your BB is connected with wifi (either your own wifi network or public wifi)

1. Make sure your DATA SERVICES is turned on... { Option..> Mobile Network..> Data Services > ON
2. Default Browser to be selected as Hotspot Browser .... {Option..> Advanced Options..>Browser..>Default browser configuration: Select Hotspot Browser

After this 2 steps you can use your wifi connection for browsing as well as messger (Gtalk, Yahoo and MSN)
To make sure my BB is connected with wifi and all the DATAs thru wifi (not thru your telecom service provider network)
DO this test
GO to Manage connection..> Untick the Mobile Network>... Now your main screen shows OFF... but your wifi sign will still be bright
Now your BB is OFF Mode

Now you can go to browser and you can visit some pages......
....... i did all and i am able to browse thru wifi connection even my phone is OFF

I hope it will helpful for others.
Thx
ziyapp-Singapore - Telecom service provider: STARHUB

Last edited by ziyapp; 12-13-2009 at 01:30 AM..
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Symon-the-fireman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: vodafone [NZ]
Default cannot find requested server

I have followed all the instructions as outlined above but when I try to connect to a website a dialog box saying "unable to find requested server" any suggestions as to what to try next?
if it helps the screen definitely says Wi-Fi Browser in the top left corner. and the radio is off, in fact there is no sim card in the phone just to make sure!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 AM   #12
JORDANKICKZZ

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

i might try it out.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
ang_pilosopo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Globe Telecom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziyapp View Post
I recently bought a blackberry curve 8520.My plan is with Data (but limited data usage plan ) I wanted to use wifi when i am at home or office in order to reduce my data charges. To do so make sure the following settings

A. Make sure your BB is connected with wifi (either your own wifi network or public wifi)

1. Make sure your DATA SERVICES is turned on... { Option..> Mobile Network..> Data Services > ON
2. Default Browser to be selected as Hotspot Browser .... {Option..> Advanced Options..>Browser..>Default browser configuration: Select Hotspot Browser

After this 2 steps you can use your wifi connection for browsing as well as messger (Gtalk, Yahoo and MSN)
To make sure my BB is connected with wifi and all the DATAs thru wifi (not thru your telecom service provider network)
DO this test
GO to Manage connection..> Untick the Mobile Network>... Now your main screen shows OFF... but your wifi sign will still be bright
Now your BB is OFF Mode

Now you can go to browser and you can visit some pages......
....... i did all and i am able to browse thru wifi connection even my phone is OFF

I hope it will helpful for others.
Thx
ziyapp-Singapore - Telecom service provider: STARHUB
Pls. correct me if my understanding is wrong:
If I do the test outlined above, I may be able to connect via wifi but will not receive calls and SMS since the BB is in OFF mode.

8900 and 9700
www.twitter.com/rvmitra
Old 01-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (The Dacia Sandero of data plan)

Your understanding is correct.
Closed Thread