Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
pcm2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Voice dialing - not for synced contacts

Please Login to Remove!

Whoah! I was playing around with the voice dialing mode yesterday and I've gotta say it's pretty cool.

I had a hard time getting it to work at first, though. It would dial numbers fine, but it wouldn't recognize the name of anybody in my address book. After playing around with it a while, though, I think I know what the problem is.

I migrated from a 7100t to the 8100 using the migration wizard, so all my contacts came over from the desktop software. It seems like the 8100 needs to build "hints" for names somehow in order to recognize them for voice commands, though. And that only happens when you enter in addresses by hand, not when you load them up via desktop sync!

The fix was, quite simply, to go into the address book and edit the contacts I wanted to dial. So I'd just add a space to the end of somebody's name, then delete it, then save the "modified" address record. Bingo! Once I did that, voice commands started recognizing that name. I've done this with about five contacts now, and one by one it has added each person to the list of contacts the voice commands will recognize. Kind of annoying, but the end result is pretty slick indeed!
Old 09-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Josh123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: AT&T

Didn't have this issue, I synced directly from outlook, everything voice dials just fine...

Weird
Old 09-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700

I have not had any problems either.

Please try a Search
Old 09-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Don_8100

Model: 8100

I had the same issue. It would not call. Pull the battery and re-try. It should scan the phone book the first time and store the names. After that all was good... and it works like a champ. It hasn't missed a name yet.

Don
Old 09-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

Another post said to change the Language settings from "English US" to "English UK" and then back. That will also force a rescan and then it will work like a charm. I was having problems until I did this. Either way, sounds like forcing a rescan is the key. Would be nice if that were just an option in the software, "Rescan now".
Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
cellguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 25F09CFD

No problems here, do love it but you gotta look at the phone when you do it. I notice that it's only about 80% accurate. Called my boss when I meant to call my wife (their names aren't even close to similary), could have been embarrassing!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
brewrat

Model: Pearl

especially if you're sleeping with the boss!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
PGChi

Carrier: TMobile
Angry Voice Commands & Contacts issue

When I faced difficulty with the Voice commands I just thought the technology was being developed and not really state of the art and perfected yet however listening to some of the chimes of other folks stating they had no issues at all, I tried to implement the 2 suggestions. I first took the battery out and re-inserted it soft rebooting the BB which did not help. Then I edited a contact and manually changed a character and saved the contact yet I am unable to get the correct contacts being pulled. I mean I speak something and the BB picks up a contact that doesn't even sound close to what I said. Maybe I need to improve upon my accent and make it "RIMish"
Old 09-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
BlissX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGChi
When I faced difficulty with the Voice commands I just thought the technology was being developed and not really state of the art and perfected yet however listening to some of the chimes of other folks stating they had no issues at all, I tried to implement the 2 suggestions. I first took the battery out and re-inserted it soft rebooting the BB which did not help. Then I edited a contact and manually changed a character and saved the contact yet I am unable to get the correct contacts being pulled. I mean I speak something and the BB picks up a contact that doesn't even sound close to what I said. Maybe I need to improve upon my accent and make it "RIMish"
Make sure you speak exactly what's in your address book. If you have a friend named John doe, then saying call John will not work. Must say exactly as it is.
Call John Doe.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 PM   #10
PGChi

First I was doing the mistake of saying "Call Annette" then I started saying "Annette Smith" and it still did not work but for one contact no other contact is recognized by the BB
Old 09-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
nita

Model: Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGChi
First I was doing the mistake of saying "Call Annette" then I started saying "Annette Smith" and it still did not work but for one contact no other contact is recognized by the BB
Having the same problem here. I haven't tried the 2 previous suggestions, about to do it now, I will update later.

Ok, tried saying the exact name, and it worked!!!

I love this board!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
PGChi

OK I am unable to understand why it isn't working for me and I am not ready to accept this as a "User Error". I am speaking exactly the same full name as the one existing in the address book yet it does not pick up the voice. Couple of things to note which might make you Guru's to suggest something. My address book has approx. 1414 contacts, I am waiting for the prompt before speaking. I tried to tweak the parameters. I changed the value of Sensitivity to "-3 Reject Less", tried both Name playback speed 3-Faster and -3 slower but no luck. It keeps picking up weird names from the address book only rarely it picks up the correct name
Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
pcm2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

PGChi, did you read the very first post in the thread? Does my trick not work for you? Pick a name from your address book, go and edit the name (just put in a space and then delete it again) and save it. You should be able to voice dial that name from then on.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:24 PM   #14
PGChi

Actually before even posting the question I tried your trick because you were so successful with it. I tried both a soft reboot and the editing and saving of a contact. I even went to the extent to create an entirely new contact only on blackberry to check and I used a combination of name and last name for 2 persons for whom previously it was definitely not working and hell yes it works!!! So why does a change in just the name/address and saving does not help even though it is going to be too difficult of a task saving 1400+ contacts again but I don't want to go there yet.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:32 PM   #15
marabuchi

casmer's suggestion worked for me. I was having a hard time using the voice dial for all of the contacts that I synced using PocketMac. I changed the setting to UK and then back to US and it worked. Thanks! This forum is great!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #16
goldhhr

Model: Curve

I love the voice dialing feature. It is soooooooooooooo cool. Probably the best voice dialing system out there. Man I love my Pear!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #17
PGChi

Just out of curiosity how many address book entries do you have marabuchi / goldhhr? I am just wondering this issue I ma facing has something to do with the enormously large addressbook that I have which keeps picking up wrong hits. I have close to 1420 entries.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #18
goldhhr

Model: Curve

I have around 320.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #19
DesertRatShorty

When they picked the name PEARL for this device they should have spent more time with it and aptly named it the BLACKBERRY POS. This device is by far the buggiest, most temperamental, and frustrating hand held I have had the pleasure- pleasure... ha!... I have ever used. Sure the device worked great after I first purchased it and I quickly fell in love. ONE item that made me love this device was the voice dialing feature. Well one day the voice dialing just decided (among other things that have been skittish) to quit working. Pull battery, replace battery, turn the device off, turn it back on, swear a little bit, and repeat process. Alas to my displeasure nadda, no dice, bingo on the voice dial. I call T-Mo and their response was maybe you should reinstall the software (this was AFTER they got over their initial SHOCK that anyone would be having problems with THIS device). Having a MAC and not having that luxury at that moment didn't seem like a viable option. HOWEVER. After reading through this thread and trying all the maneuvers posted my Blackberry POS has seen fit to grant me privilege to voice dialing. I don't know if it was the threat of being thrown at the wall at extreme high velocity or trying the remedies posted above, but voice dialing is back. Hallelujah, praise Jesus, where is the Tylenol.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #20
supurcman

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I too have the same problem. Any numbers I have syncd or brought over from my SIM will not voice dial. Only the numbers I mod or imput directly on the divice. There has to be some sort of fix for this. I've tried the battery thing and other troubleshooting but it only works if you mod the contact on the blackberry itself. Bummer.
Closed Thread