BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
migdriver

Model: 8830
Carrier: vzw
Default BB+Treo+Mac cross sync possible?

Please Login to Remove!

I have just purchased a Cingular BB 8100 (my first BB) but also plan to continue to use a my existing VZW Treo 650 which is currently set up with my address book, calander etc on palm desktop on my iMac running Tiger. Is it possible/how do I maintain a common address book and calander which will sync with both my BB and Treo?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Mostermac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

What you could do, instead of using Palm desktop software, try syncing your Treo directly to iCal and Address Book using the Palm conduits. Then I would recomend using Mark/Space's incredible Missing Sync for BlackBerry, which is still in beta stages. This has worked for me since I also have a BlackBerry and a Treo with Sprint. Hope it works.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
ibrg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostermac
What you could do, instead of using Palm desktop software, try syncing your Treo directly to iCal and Address Book using the Palm conduits. Then I would recomend using Mark/Space's incredible Missing Sync for BlackBerry, which is still in beta stages. This has worked for me since I also have a BlackBerry and a Treo with Sprint. Hope it works.
In theory it should work great (and for you it seems to be the case), but I can't -- for my life! -- sync my BB Pearl with Mark/Space Missing Sync for BB. Occasionally Missing Sync will cooperate with my Contacts but never with iCal. In fact, I am about to ditch it and go back to PocketMac.
If anyone has any ideas why the Missing Sync is so fussy (I read several and similar complains about it in this forum), then please shed light on it. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
EricS

Model: Pearl
Default Missing Sync for BlackBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrg
If anyone has any ideas why the Missing Sync is so fussy (I read several and similar complains about it in this forum), then please shed light on it. Thanks.
Missing Sync for BlackBerry is available only in a preview edition right now. We're working very hard to make sure that the 1.0 release is as reliable as possible. Most of the users we hear from think that our beta is more reliable than the competition's shipping version.

As for calendar events, we typically see a few kinds of problems:

1. Sync Services issues
Sync Services is very cool, but also a bit temperamental. All you have to do is look at the .Mac forums to see that some issues aren't unique to the Missing Sync. Apple is improving Sync Services fairly regularly now, including changes in last week's 10.4.9 update.

2. Data issues
We've found that certain other products actually mess up your iCal data and then the Missing Sync beta chokes on it. Specifically, detached calendar events are sometimes no longer associated with the parent event. This shouldn't happen within iCal or .Mac, but does happen with at least one third party product. We're hoping to work-around this issue as best as possible.

3. Time zone issues
I spent all weekend cleaning up time zone issues with the software. The BlackBerry does not store event-specific time zones unfortunately, so there can be issues when you modify a record on the device that originated in iCal.

4. It's still beta
Missing Sync for BlackBerry is still in beta testing as of 3/19/07. The final version will be better and more polished than the existing beta. Really. The whole point of the beta program is to find as many devices and real-world data sets and issues as possible so that 1.0 is reliable.

The next beta will hopefully be very close to the final 1.0 version. If you continue to have problems with it, post on the forum and I guarantee we will look into it.

Thanks
EricS
Mark/Space Engineering
Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Mostermac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS
Missing Sync for BlackBerry is available only in a preview edition right now. We're working very hard to make sure that the 1.0 release is as reliable as possible. Most of the users we hear from think that our beta is more reliable than the competition's shipping version.

1. Sync Services issues
Sync Services is very cool, but also a bit temperamental. All you have to do is look at the .Mac forums to see that some issues aren't unique to the Missing Sync. Apple is improving Sync Services fairly regularly now, including changes in last week's 10.4.9 update.

2. Data issues
We've found that certain other products actually mess up your iCal data and then the Missing Sync beta chokes on it. Specifically, detached calendar events are sometimes no longer associated with the parent event. This shouldn't happen within iCal or .Mac, but does happen with at least one third party product. We're hoping to work-around this issue as best as possible.

3. Time zone issues
I spent all weekend cleaning up time zone issues with the software. The BlackBerry does not store event-specific time zones unfortunately, so there can be issues when you modify a record on the device that originated in iCal.

4. It's still beta
Missing Sync for BlackBerry is still in beta testing as of 3/19/07. The final version will be better and more polished than the existing beta. Really. The whole point of the beta program is to find as many devices and real-world data sets and issues as possible so that 1.0 is reliable.

The next beta will hopefully be very close to the final 1.0 version. If you continue to have problems with it, post on the forum and I guarantee we will look into it.

Thanks
EricS
Mark/Space Engineering
Since I downloaded the latest beta of Missing Sync for BlackBerry, I have had no issues at all. I am on an iBook G4 and it is working flawlessly for me with an 8703e from Sprint. Of course that doesn't mean that I will not encounter problems as I use it on a daily basis, but I am happy with it so far. However one of the things I would like them to add is the ability to use my 'Berry as a tethered modem so I can be surfin' on the net anywhere. But I will wait for further updates on the final release to add that functionality. Other than that, I really like this product from Mark/Space.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
ibrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS

1. Sync Services issues

2. Data issues
Itxxx8217;s very impressive that you posted here so quickly so thanks!!! I have used the Missing Sync with my Treo and loved it!

This is what I have encountered so far with your product:
I was able to sync my xxx8220;contactsxxx8221; once and now I canxxx8217;t: Any ideas?
I canxxx8217;t, no matter what I do, sync with iCal. I did upgrade my MacBook to the Mac OS 10.4.9.
I have used PocketMac for syncing, but I deleted it when I tried using Missing Sync to be on the safe side. I deleted ALL events from iCal prior to syncing as well.
So why canxxx8217;t I sync? What could possibly go wrong here?

Last edited by ibrg; 03-19-2007 at 11:49 AM..
Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
BlaineW

Quote:
It’s very impressive that you posted here so quickly so thanks!!! I have used the Missing Sync with my Treo and loved it!

This is what I have encountered so far with your product:
I was able to sync my “contacts” once and now I can’t: Any ideas?
I can’t, no matter what I do, sync with iCal. I did upgrade my MacBook to the Mac OS 10.4.9.
I have used PocketMac for syncing, but I deleted it when I tried using Missing Sync to be on the safe side. I deleted ALL events from iCal prior to syncing as well.
So why can’t I sync? What could possibly go wrong here?
Please make sure you're using the latest beta, which is downloadable here:

markspace dot com / testing (I'm not able to post URLS yet as I'm a newbie on this forum).

Also, if you're getting errors in the log, it would be helpful if you could post them in your reply.

So, as much information about your specific symptoms would be helpful.

Regards,

Blaine
Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
ibrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineW
Please make sure you're using the latest beta, which is downloadable here
Got it.

Quote:
Also, if you're getting errors in the log, it would be helpful if you could post them in your reply.
Here it is:
Starting sync at 3/18/07 12:26 PM...
Plugin Calendar starting
Error reading from device (e0004051)
NSInvalidArgumentException *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value
An error occurred while updating the local database from the device.
Synchronization cancelled due to device error.
Starting sync at 3/18/07 12:28 PM...
Plugin Calendar starting
NSInvalidArgumentException *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value
Starting sync at 3/18/07 12:29 PM...
Plugin Calendar starting
Starting sync at 3/18/07 12:31 PM...
Plugin Calendar starting
Starting sync at 3/18/07 12:32 PM...
Plugin Calendar starting
Application started on 3/19/07 9:06 PM (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Starting sync at 3/19/07 9:06 PM...
Plugin Calendar starting

I did the patch for DST prior to March 11.
Thanks for looking into it.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
ibrg

Where are you MissingSync guys?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #10
mr_kitty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

in the missing sync plugin settings for calendar there's an option to have the desktop overwrite the handheld on the next sync.

i've come the calendar plugin crashing 2x now where something is in the blackberry calendar that the plugin can't read, but overwriting the bb with the desktop fixed it both times (thankfully i don't enter a lot of appts directly into my bb)
Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
ibrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_kitty
in the missing sync plugin settings for calendar there's an option to have the desktop overwrite the handheld on the next sync.

i've come the calendar plugin crashing 2x now where something is in the blackberry calendar that the plugin can't read, but overwriting the bb with the desktop fixed it both times (thankfully i don't enter a lot of appts directly into my bb)
I suppose that could solve some problems but I have items/events on my Pearl that I need to sync with the desktop so overwriting the Pearl isnxxx8217;t good enough in the long run.
I am wondering if the entire issue is syncing with both my PC and Mac is what's causing this plugin conflict? Any thoughts?
(Perhaps whatxxx8217;s puzzling most is that PocketMac doesnxxx8217;t have any conflicts when I sync with my Mac. If indeed the MissingSync is superior to PM it doesnxxx8217;t show itxxx8230;)

Last edited by ibrg; 03-22-2007 at 12:00 PM..
Old 03-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #12
BlaineW

Quote:
Got it.

Application started on 3/19/07 9:06 PM (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Starting sync at 3/19/07 9:06 PM...
Plugin Calendar starting

I did the patch for DST prior to March 11.
Thanks for looking into it.
Looks like you're still using b12. Actually b14 is our latest version. We've fixed one cause of the NIL error, so hopefully it takes care of this scenario. If not, let me know.

You can download it from markspace.com/testing/

Regards,

Blaine
Old 03-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #13
ibrg

Quote:
Looks like you're still using b12. Actually b14 is our latest version. We've fixed one cause of the NIL error, so hopefully it takes care of this scenario. If not, let me know.

Regards,

Blaine
I'll get the newer version of MS nevertheless.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #14
BlaineW

Quote:
Thanks Blaine.
I ended up erasing the entire calendar on my Blackberry and starting fresh. This time the syncing went fine. In fact I really like it a lot now that it is working!
I'll get the newer version of MS nevertheless.
Glad to hear it. The NIL error was indicating the handheld was sending something we weren't expecting.

In general, a desktop overwrites handheld sync for the offending data type will take care of the situation.

Regards,

Blaine
Old 03-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
ibrg

Blaine,
I am not sure this is what caused the problems I had but I have synced the Blackberry with Outlook on a PC for a while and I have been syncing Outlook with Google as well. I also I did have desktop overwrites handheld sync but it didn't do the trick. All I know is that I was able to use PocketMac but not the Missing Sync. Erasing both the Blackberryxxx8217;s calendar and Outlookxxx8217;s calendar and starting everything fresh solved the problem. I am now able to sync with Outlook and iCal.
Thanks again for your help. I love Missing Sync so far

Last edited by ibrg; 03-23-2007 at 12:21 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
Karen McDonald

Model: 8800
Default Problem syncing BB 8800 with MacBook Pro

Quote:

Regards,

Blaine

I am in the UK using an English mobile BB8800 and have the following problems when syncing. It did work perfectly well a few times, but now this error keeps coming up when I try to sync:

Application started on 01/04/2007 20:38 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Starting sync at 01/04/2007 20:38...
Plugin Calendar starting
Detached event V47CFB30D missing parent record. Parent id should be VDFFFF7B6
Summary = WORK OM; Start date = 2007-04-02 13:00:00 Europe/London
you referenced the following records (in a relationship) but did not actually push them: (VDFFFF7B6)
Plugin Calendar did not complete.
Plugin Contacts starting
Plugin Contacts success
Starting sync at 01/04/2007 20:41...
Plugin Calendar starting
Application started on 01/04/2007 20:43 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Starting sync at 01/04/2007 20:43...
Plugin Calendar starting
Starting sync at 01/04/2007 20:45...
Plugin Calendar starting
Starting sync at 01/04/2007 20:46...
Plugin Contacts starting
Plugin Contacts success
Synchronization completed at 01/04/2007 20:48.
Starting sync at 01/04/2007 20:48...
Plugin Calendar starting
Application started on 04/04/2007 22:39 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Application started on 04/04/2007 22:40 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Application started on 04/04/2007 22:41 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Application started on 04/04/2007 22:42 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Application started on 04/04/2007 23:02 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Application started on 04/04/2007 23:03 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Application started on 04/04/2007 23:03 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Application started on 04/04/2007 23:09 (version 1.0.0 b12, build 44)
Starting sync at 04/04/2007 23:10...
Plugin Calendar starting

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP - I APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS!

Karen

P.S. I checked to see if my version was the latest, but my computer came back saying I had the latest!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #17
BlaineW

Hi Karen,

Actually, you are using build 12, so you'll want to get the release version at markspace.com/downloads.html (sorry, I still can't post full URLs on this site)

We're getting the NIL error when we encounter a data type we aren't suspecting. You mentioned it was working fine for a while, but now it's not. Did you sync with a PC just prior to it not working on the Mac?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Blaine
Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
Karen McDonald

Quote:
Hi Karen,

Actually, you are using build 12, so you'll want to get the release version at markspace.com/downloads.html (sorry, I still can't post full URLs on this site)

We're getting the NIL error when we encounter a data type we aren't suspecting. You mentioned it was working fine for a while, but now it's not. Did you sync with a PC just prior to it not working on the Mac?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Blaine

Thank you, Blaine for such a quick response. I have not used PC with this, so that would not be the problem.

Which upgrade were you recommending? Is it one ready to be purchased now? The one I downloaded was a beta version a few weeks ago. When I checked for upgrades on the Missing Sync application on my laptop, it said there were no upgrades!

Thanks again
Karen
Old 04-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #19
BlaineW

Hi Karen,

Yes, it's the final version which is on our site. We did make some changes between b12 and the final version that may affect the error you're seeing.

Regards,

Blaine
Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
Karen McDonald

Thanks very much, will try that tomorrow. Late here now!
Regards
Karen
Closed Thread