BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:39 PM   #21
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

I just sold my 8800 tonight, and am down to just one device...the 8300 Curve. It has been years since I have only had one phone/device...so the fact that I have chosen the Curve says a lot, at least to me. It's a great device and one that I know I will hang onto for a long time.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #22
kirk26

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think is beyond people's thinking, but no one can answer this. What is the purpose of Wifi on a BlackBerry when you have a data plan?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
LarryH
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk26 View Post
I think is beyond people's thinking, but no one can answer this. What is the purpose of Wifi on a BlackBerry when you have a data plan?
For starters, some people don't have unlimited data plans and that can get pretty pricey. Second, given the EDGE limitation in speed, a wi-fi connection can be pretty fast.

Personally, I have no need for wi-fi but I can certainly see why many do.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #24
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH View Post
For starters, some people don't have unlimited data plans and that can get pretty pricey. Second, given the EDGE limitation in speed, a wi-fi connection can be pretty fast.

Personally, I have no need for wi-fi but I can certainly see why many do.
l337 aim file transfer speeds! And no more of those 10 minute uploads for taking max resz pictures.
Oh and I get no random signals downstairs in my apartment. So I randomly get email. It would be fantastic to use skype + wifi as I have 2 wifi routers down there to get my email consistantly!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #25
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALime View Post
Hey all,
Well I am getting the itch to upgrade my Pearl. I am big on form factor and that is why I want to stay away from the 8800. I would like to get back to a full qwerty keyboard though. I am worried about upgrading an then a better berry coming out. I would like Wi-Fi but it sounds like I will have to wait until the end of the year. I would like to stay with at&t too. So what do all you curve owners think?
Isn't that new pearl (if you can stand suretype props to ya) supposed to be due out in september with wifi? Isn't that what bg (The Boy Genius Report) reported like 3ish weeks ago?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #26
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

There's always new and better devices coming out each year. If you wait, you will find a better device coming out than you say, you want to wait for something even better than that. And so on.

Get the Blackberry 8300 now.

If it was out for T-mobile right now, I will be using it right now.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #27
bambam

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t
Default Sprint v. Verizon

I currently have the Curve ( at&t ) , love the BB , hate the dropped calls/ no service FROM OUT OF NO WHERE . Been waiting for similar device on a carrier that actually doesn't have the most dropped calls of any network .
Any thoughts greatly appreciated . Tmo maybe ?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #28
pepp

Model: 8300
Carrier: Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
I currently have the Curve ( at&t ) , love the BB , hate the dropped calls/ no service FROM OUT OF NO WHERE . Been waiting for similar device on a carrier that actually doesn't have the most dropped calls of any network .
Any thoughts greatly appreciated . Tmo maybe ?
Sorry to hear you are having voice issues, but I think you are an exception.

I love my 8300 Curve. I've been using an unlocked Curve (originally locked to AT&T) on Fido in Canada & roaming on AT&T in the US for two months. I have not experience any dropped calls. Not even one.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #29
quillhill

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

Mmmkay, I've had oodles of phones this year, including a 7130c which was my daily driver from October 06 until June when the Curve came out, heck I even bought a Pearl a month ago because I found one cheap on ebay just because I gotta have a back up. I traded a friend of mine for a Dash and it came a couple days ago. I had my SIM in it for about an hour before I ran right back to my Curve.
I carried an HTC Mogul on Sprint for two weeks (long story, another time) side by side with my Curve when both were about the newest devices available in the wireless PDA world in June. After two weeks I happily parted with the Mogul and settled back down with the Curve.
I used a Nokia N73 Series 60 Symbian device for a couple months this spring and traded that away, too, because I just didn't use it.
And when I upgraded to get the Curve, which is almost everything I want in a BlackBerry (just no 3G, but I find it's not a huge issue), I told myself I'd just get the BB with 3G when that comes out. I always find a way to make it work.
I love having a Pearl and a Curve. I can leave the Curve at home and take my Pearl if I want to charge the Curve or take something smaller with me. But, the Curve is my daily driver, in fact I have pretty much used it non-stop since it arrived on my doorstep June 6.
In the past 18 months-plus I've had nearly 40 phones. I could totally see myself using the Curve until the end of this year -- fully six months -- and possibly through next spring if it takes that long for the next BB to come out. When I first joined this cult last year with an 8700 the Curve was the kind of phone I had in mind but I sacrificed some features to try out BB then got hooked. I've had four BBs in the past year and change and the Curve is my favorite.
Why? Full qwerty, all the great BB functions, camera, and an excellent form factor. For someone who gets 100 to 200 e-mails a day and does about 3k in messages a month, it's ideal. It makes work and play that much better for me.

My theory is that with technology, you're always waiting, so you might as well have the best toy you can find in the meantime.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #30
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

I have a ton of phones including plenty of Berrys, some Nokia's, and a couple of other brands. However I always revert back to the BB! I flirted with the iphone, cool phone, but not for me! I'm using the 8300 as my primary device with at&t as of late, and have no complaints right now!

However, even though I am happy with the 8300, I still luv shiny new toys! As soon as the HTC tilt drops, I'll most likely give it a check! Just the nature of the tech world! Trying to keep up will drive most people nuts, but I luv trying new stuff out! Besides if you don't like it, just return it and get your $$$ back!

I'd definitely recommend the 8300 to someone looking for a pretty reliable sexy device, with a lot of good stuff under the hood! Price is good too, $199 after rebates, can't beat that for gettin your email as quick as lightning!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #31
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk26 View Post
For T-Mobile, you need a WiFi phone to use their new hotspot@home service. [Simple explanation, hotspot@home creates a mini cell tower, if you will, in your home. When making calls with a WiFi phone, the calls are totally free and unlimited, except for the $10 monthly charge T-Mo is promoting at this time.].

Also, if one subscribes to hotspot@home, one can make unlimited calls at any T-Mo hotspot location, including all StarBucks and at many airports.

I have that hotspot service, but there was only one phone, the Nokia 6086 that is a T-Mo WiFi capable phone. I am hoping that the Pearl 2 which is rumored to have WiFi will work at my house.

So in addition to other WiFi uses members have posted, Hotspot is another. I can see other carriers getting on the UMA bandwagon [UMA stands for "unlicensed mobile access" and means that callers are using the airwaves, WiFi, to make calls where they do not count against one's cell phone minutes or plan].

UMA Today

In a sense it's like T-Mobile's unlimited data plan for $20 monthly, but in this case it applies to phone calls, not a data connection.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:05 AM   #32
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

The "end of the year" is an awefully long time to wait for a toy that may or may not materialize (ship) on time.

I say get the curve now. Then nearer the end of the year, see if Wifi 83XX is available and compare than with the launch date of the 9XXX series (O/S 5.0). I don't think it's worth delaying the purchase of the curve just because it doesn't have wifi. The only exception is if you already have a 88XX device, the curve (even with the smaller size, nice keyboard feel, and 2MP camera) isn't enough to warrant an upgrade for some. I think the keyboard on the curve is so f'n fantastic that I'm glad to be away from the 8700 and 8800.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #33
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I upgraded to the Curve with the plan that when T-Mobile releases their version with WiFi I'll jump on that and sell my current Curve. But I've got it dialed in so perfectly and I love it so much that I may just pass on the 8320 and keep my 8300 for a while. It's definitley worth jumping on right now.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #34
serrano_yejo

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianahufmn View Post
and the internet capability is much better than the Pearl.
In what sense? I wanna buy the Curve for T-Mo when it comes out...
Closed Thread