Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
brunoel

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tango
Default My blackberry opinion tough but realistic

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,
First of all let me explain the context*: I did receive one month ago one blackberry curve 8900 for work. I do work for in Europe as an Export manager. I do have a professional plan with 10 Mo data included.

I will first start by enumerating the few good points I found in the Blackberry device & OS. But on the overall I'm fairly disappointed by the blackberry devices, services & OS & really don't understand the success it has , so maybe I will get some answers here.

Let's start on the Hardware good points*:
- The best to me is the mouse which I recognize is very comfortable.
- After that the Keyboard is also handy to type but requires one or two days to get used to it.
- The Third positive aspect would be the device size & robustness (not tested hopefully).

Software wise:
- The fourth & last positive features would be the mail compression & the search function.

On the other hands I'm disappointed by:
Hardware wise :
The screen size is a way too small.
The build in GPS only works in assisted mode plus apparently it's greedy in term of data consumption once launched.
The battery life is ok but I would expect much better results considering the size of the screen.
The speackers have a real bad quality (honestly the worse I have experimented).

software wise now:

- What I found really outragious is the lack of functionality & flexibility.
I.e*: Can you do multiple selection of pictures documents & move them from folder to folder*? Or do you really have to do it one by one*?

- I found the synchronization not so good but that's maybe not a blackberry drawback. I.e When I delete an email on the device it doesn't do it on my laptop.

- The email layout output is catastrophic I have the feeling that I m using a typewriter in the 80 'S.
Come on developers are you really sure this phone was launched in 2000.

- Browsing Internet is just impossible I don't even know why to include a navigator in this phone.

- Welcome to Passwords world : To be secure it's secured switching on , unlock, and app world passwords are the most annoying thing. Is this device a lock or a phone*? I think you forget a password to access emails & the camera cause that would have been a third barrier to pass over.

- The impossibilty of configuring the data reception to wifi only when I m grounded in the offfice for some weeks I don't need the emails to come in every seconds, when I go to the toilets maybe you guys do.

Sum up*:

Concept wise i don't understand the success of BB. I want to congratulate the marketing people of BB company because they did an excellent job.

They are successful to sell an expensive device with not so much interesting features.

While their competitor also overpriced Apple, HTC , Nokia have at least understood what people needs nowadays.

Symbian is too me the most professional Phone OS as they don't have many apps but all functionnalities are present & working well. My last phone was a N95 and I would 100 times recommend this model rather than a BB 8900 even if N95 is also out fashioned.

I hope you will understand my opinion & sorry to destroy BB reputation.

By a nokia N8

Best regards,
Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Appears to be a Rant - so moved.

A month isn't a very long time to use a BB.

Battery longevity depends on many issues, not just the screen size.

If you were using BIS for email, it was working as it is designed. Once email hits your PC email client, it doesn't interact with RIM any longer. Email only syncs using BES.

You should go back to your beloved Nokia.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Don't worry about destroying RIMs reputation... You didn't, can't, and won't. Enjoy the N8, though I think the E7 is better.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

So you came here to do what?

The blackberry is not a phone; it has a phone.

I can sympathize with someone who has a blackberry issued to them. For those who select a blackberry for what it does because it is the best fit with their needs, it is a great device.

Just because you don't get the success of the blackberry doesn't mean squat. It isn't what you need, that's all, and nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for stopping by.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

BlackBerry devices are not for everyone, as you have found. Some people are comfortable with and accept the functionality of the devices, and some want something more and different.

For instance, I love my BlackBerry, but hate the browser. However, I accept it since I don't want/need another device. I don't like iPhones for typing, I am not comfortable with Android devices, and I've never used Nokia.

I'd suggest getting the device (if you can now) that works for what you need/want.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Symbian is not a player in North America...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoel View Post
sorry to destroy BB reputation.

By a nokia N8

Best regards,
I hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth in Waterloo.

My opinion? Anyone who calls the trackball a mouse is not qualified to judge any smartphone -- BlackBerry, iPhone, Droid or Nokia.

I won't even comment on the horrible grammar and spelling. English is obviously not your first language and no one should be held accountable for something not native to them.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
brunoel

Let me add some details : I came here just to share my opinion on the phone usage and try to convince some future potential buyers
Then every individual is free to make its own judgement.

I also forgot to mention 3 functions I dislike:
When the battery drains out you are not allowed to switch on services
When you listen music too loud even classical you can consult a doctor
Booting time as well as os updates is very long

Ps: I didn t join the community to be judged on my phone vocab and or english grammar.
sander Fyi I speak and write 4 languages (and you?)
And I do understand well Pc and phone hardware and software running win and linux.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Like I said, obviously English is not the first (of those four).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoel
When the battery drains out you are not allowed to switch on services
What? If the battery is drained out, how do you propose to switch on services?

Do you blame Ford that your auto won't run when it runs out of fuel?

Thanks for your input here. Don't post if you don't expect feedback or responses. That's why its called a "forum".
Other users have as much privilege to judge whatever you write as they desire. Personal attacks are not allowed and there's been none made towards you.

Last edited by JSanders; 09-15-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

my 9700 booted a little slower then my htc incredible a whopping 15 seconds. idk what to do with the extra 15 seconds i received from boot times. since i think i turn my phones off once a month...
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #11
ptbz

Model: curve
Carrier: manager

If I read this exchange, only people speaking english can explain about this device.
BB was well seven years ago for managers without PC scan their e-mails. The keyboard was handy! Young managers thought they were important with this device!
To-day, the BB is "ringard"; 4 years late!! look iphone, htc, samsung!!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbz View Post
If I read this exchange, only people speaking english can explain about this device.
BB was well seven years ago for managers without PC scan their e-mails. The keyboard was handy! Young managers thought they were important with this device!
To-day, the BB is "ringard"; 4 years late!! look iphone, htc, samsung!!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Wow.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
brunoel

Default re

to NJBlackBerry and Jsanders:

Sorry Ford is not a player in Europe, but I do blame BMW if i cannot listen to the radio in my car to save energy while I still have fuel for 50 miles.

There are lots of differences between North America and the rest of the world you have to know and I guess you should try one day. (look here without 3w: pixdaus.com/pics/jt8RMlLW2GpjSsX64b.jpg)

to dc/dc
No comments

Last edited by brunoel; 09-16-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:

Sorry Ford is not a player in Europe, but I do blame BMW if i cannot listen to the radio in my car to save energy while I still have fuel for 50 miles.

There are lots of differences between North America and the rest of the world you have to know and I guess you should try one day. (look here without 3w: pixdaus.com/pics/jt8RMlLW2GpjSsX64b.jpg)

to dc/dc
No comments
The phone is designed for mobile professional. I like that if I forget to charge my phone, at a certain point it will stop the battery draining services, but keep the data alive. Last thing I want s for the battery to go completely flat when I'm 3,000 from the office and lose my data and BES connection.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
brunoel

canuckBB : I understand your point & I believe it also depends of your job function.
But still I would prefer to have the choice of keeping services alive or not . But I decide which ones & not BB decides for me.

So for this point I was a bit selfish maybe.

btw: Can you select several files a move them in another folder (by lot) This annoys me if I have to do one per one.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You are very confused if you think Ford is not in Europe.
In any event, enjoy your whatever phone you choose.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:

Tut tut.

Take a gander here:

Ford UK - The Official Homepage of Ford UK
Startseite Ford-Werke GmbH | Ford Deutschland
Ford
Ford | Home | Ford Italia

The Focus and the Mondeo are some of the best selling cars in Europe, and I would take a Mondeo TDCi wagon any day of the week.

Now, on to the picture you FAILED to post. You're an ignorant knob if you really think that there aren't just as many (if not more) fat people in Europe as there are in America, and even more ignorant to stereotype an entire country for something that has nothing even remotely close to do with the topic at hand.

To close out this thread before you get flamed too much more, no one really gives a rat's blue bottom what phone you use. Yes, this forum is about BlackBerry, but BlackBerry devices and service aren't for everyone, and you are completely entitled to not use one. Coming here and bashing the device and service just because it wasn't right for you does nothing except waste bandwidth and kill your credibility.

With that in mind, goodbye! Auf Wiedersein! Arrivederci! ˇAdios! ˇAdeus! Au revoir, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Last edited by dc/dc; 09-16-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #19
brunoel

@ NJblackberry :
It was just humor but in response to your Symbian comment.
"Symbian is not a player in North America..."
So what it's not present in the USA (one country) so it's not important . Let me remind that Symbian is the worldwide N°1 phone OS by far.
Subject is closed for me & I will continue to suffer with my BB which "is not a phone","it has a phone". What else?

I just wanted to recommend not to buy this device brand that's all.

DC /DC : Hummer is the most sold car in Europe & ford sells at loss here & hardly reaches 8% Market share despite two discounted models. You're a good patriot I can see, but it would be good for you if you could cross borders physically & mentally with or without BB.

Last edited by brunoel; 09-16-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
. . .

I just wanted to recommend not to buy this device brand that's all.

. . .
And a shallow effort it was.

The screen size is way too small? For what? For me, and obviously for a lot of people, it is adequate for them. Or, maybe some tolerate it, along the lines of juwaack's point, because of the total package of what the blackberry DOES for them.

The build (sic) in GPS only works in assisted mode . . . . ? So? How is this a problem. How does this affect what you need to DO?

I could go on in similar vein, point by point. You don't like this. You don't understand that. You expected something that turned out to not be so. And you can't believe whatever. So what? Why? Compared to what?

Sheesh.