Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
nocsysop

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Data Service via UMA on TMobileWeb / tzones

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I have a T-mobile branded Curve (8320) which I immediately unlocked via MFI Multiloader and then installed OS version 4.5 from RIM (not the T-Mobile specific version, but the generic version (which I don't think is the issue).

Anyways, I am too cheap to pay for a BB dataplan, but I do have the $5.99 TMobileWeb / t-zones data service, which allows me to access the full internet via the APN epc.tmobile.com while on edge and uma.

Becasue I do not have a BB data plan and the BB feature enabler is unavailable to TMobileWeb subscribers, my Curve is always lowercase either lowercase edge or uma (when connected to WiFi). UMA phone calls work perfectly all the time and are generally very clear.

Anyways, all of my important apps (GMail Mobile, Opera Mini, and Yahoo! Go work) work perfectly over the the mobile network (edge) through the APN. However, when I am home and connected via WiFi to T-Mobile networks (and "uma" is displayed on my phone), my applications seem to work sporadically (again, uma phone calls work fine, just data via the APN is effected).

In particualar, if I use the HotSpot or tzones Browser and then try to use an app, the app will work fine. However, it I let my Curve sit for a couple minutes and then, for example, try to access a website via Opera Mini or refresh my Gmail Inbox, it will timeout (Opera reports bad DNS and Gmail reports data connection down). However, if I simply goto the BB browser and load a site (which *always* works under uma or edge), then access Gmail or Opera, these apps start working again. My WiFi connection is always active and strong (have two DD-WRT WRT54GL's linked togather throughout my house with WWM support enabled).

My service books are as follows:

WAP2 BrowserConfig
MMS Config 2.0
WAP2.0 transport
WAP Transport
Wap Push Config
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport

I am trying to get these applications (Gmail and Opera mostly) to work all the time. The apps always works when on "edge" and uma is technically just another way to access T-Mobile newtwork, so they should also work under uma.

For some reason it seems that my apps cannot start a data connection, but if a connection is initiated by the BB browser, then data starts working. Again, I dont have a BB data plan, just TMobileWeb. Sometimes the apps do work perfectly, but usually I will have make some request with the BB broswer first.

Any help would be appreciated. I treid tweaking Opera's connection setting to http instead of socket thinking that the extra overhear with http would help, but no change. Also tried the alway use secure connectino setting for GMail (again think that the extra overhead my help) but still doesn't help.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (MY 8900)

The universal solution is to get a dataplan. I am a college student. I pay 400 a month for my appartment, I currently am unable to find a job, I owe 20tho in student loans and I can affort the 35 a month for unlim data and messages.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
shona67
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Default Don't be cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocsysop View Post
Hello,

I have a T-mobile branded Curve (8320) which I immediately unlocked via MFI Multiloader and then installed OS version 4.5 from RIM (not the T-Mobile specific version, but the generic version (which I don't think is the issue).

Anyways, I am too cheap to pay for a BB dataplan, but I do have the $5.99 TMobileWeb / t-zones data service, which allows me to access the full internet via the APN epc.tmobile.com while on edge and uma.

Becasue I do not have a BB data plan and the BB feature enabler is unavailable to TMobileWeb subscribers, my Curve is always lowercase either lowercase edge or uma (when connected to WiFi). UMA phone calls work perfectly all the time and are generally very clear.

Anyways, all of my important apps (GMail Mobile, Opera Mini, and Yahoo! Go work) work perfectly over the the mobile network (edge) through the APN. However, when I am home and connected via WiFi to T-Mobile networks (and "uma" is displayed on my phone), my applications seem to work sporadically (again, uma phone calls work fine, just data via the APN is effected).

In particualar, if I use the HotSpot or tzones Browser and then try to use an app, the app will work fine. However, it I let my Curve sit for a couple minutes and then, for example, try to access a website via Opera Mini or refresh my Gmail Inbox, it will timeout (Opera reports bad DNS and Gmail reports data connection down). However, if I simply goto the BB browser and load a site (which *always* works under uma or edge), then access Gmail or Opera, these apps start working again. My WiFi connection is always active and strong (have two DD-WRT WRT54GL's linked togather throughout my house with WWM support enabled).

My service books are as follows:

WAP2 BrowserConfig
MMS Config 2.0
WAP2.0 transport
WAP Transport
Wap Push Config
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser
Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport

I am trying to get these applications (Gmail and Opera mostly) to work all the time. The apps always works when on "edge" and uma is technically just another way to access T-Mobile newtwork, so they should also work under uma.

For some reason it seems that my apps cannot start a data connection, but if a connection is initiated by the BB browser, then data starts working. Again, I dont have a BB data plan, just TMobileWeb. Sometimes the apps do work perfectly, but usually I will have make some request with the BB broswer first.

Any help would be appreciated. I treid tweaking Opera's connection setting to http instead of socket thinking that the extra overhear with http would help, but no change. Also tried the alway use secure connectino setting for GMail (again think that the extra overhead my help) but still doesn't help.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Simply get a BlackBerry Unlimited Data Plan!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
nocsysop

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A

Well, I am not into paying for things I don't need. A BB data plan will only get me Push email, which I think is overkill and not worth $20 a month. I am fine waiting 5 minutes for GMail to auto-refresh. And I do have a data plan - I have TMobileWeb! I may be wrong, but even those with a BB plan, isn't your third-party app data still going through an APN (whether it is wap.voicestream, internet2, epc, or blackberry.net). For thise with a real BB data plan, the APN is just in the service book, whereas I have to specify it in the APN setting.

Anyone else have sporadic issues like those described above with their third-party apps? Again, they work, but usually I have to start a data connection with the BB (tzones) broswer if under uma. While on edge everything works fine.

Thanks,
Closed Thread