Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
vhalitsyn

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MTS
Default IllegalMonitorStateException on device Keyboard lock

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have an application running fine on my BB 8800 with OS 4.5 installed it is a bluetooth client app that sends some data to the server. It is working fine for me in while in background. But recently I've noticed that if I lock the keyboard and use the application then it stops working just after the first/second bluetooth push presenting me with the IllegalMonitorStateException when I unlock the keyboard. I have also noticed that this exception might happen even just at the time I'm locking the keyboard...
The app does a lot of UI updates while working. Does anyone know how to tackle this problem? What is this related to?

Thanks in advance, Viktor.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

It looks like the BT application is attempting to communicate with the BB and once itxxx8217;s locked it sees this as an error. Go to the RIM support site and you will find many issues around this problem but it just may be telling you something you can ignore. Sort of a message to let you know something attempted to access the BB application. Also Rim indicates this may be from an application on the PC that monitors the APP and sends the message if you using the APP on a PC.
BlackBerry - Support & Services
Old 04-19-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
vhalitsyn

Default Re :

Hi,

thanks for reply, but I haven't really found anything related to IllegalMonitorStateException on supportforums.blackberry.com. Found some interesting info on how to disable the lock or extend the time but that actually doesn't solve the problem - the app is designed to run in background and route the BT data.
BTW I think that it's not the only BT actions that are triggering this.
Is there a way to make an application work the same as if there was no keyboard lock? Or this is prohibited for 3-rd party apps? BB can easily accept emails and sms and phone calls while locked - why can't it run the 3-rd party app?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

From a purely layman's perspective, it sounds like the bt app was not written/tested properly. I'd look to the developer for help.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
vhalitsyn

actually the BT code is running OK. It's the UI that can not push the screen while the keyboard is locked. I'm working out the code to prevent UI updates during device is locked and hopefully the problem will be solved. Dwelling further is the wait() function that triggered the exception - the thread was waiting for the application to become foreground after the requestForeground() call.
Closed Thread