BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
Veenus Envy

Default I am a AT&T User...with Questions

Please Login to Remove!

My Issues
I currently have a Motorola T720 phone, which just had a piece break off. It still works great, but a piece broke off and it is time to replace. I work in the IT industry and the phone is a work phone. I travel a lot in the US ((Western half), and maybe 5 times a year tops to London, Germany, and South Africa. I normally rent-a-phone there. My company pays for everything. My company also has the Blackberry Enterprise Server. In addition I am a AT&T user. I like to put the phone in my pocket. When I am in the office or afterwork/weekend I use the phone as my personal phone and I like to put the phone in my pocket. I normally wear clothes in the office and out of the office on the baggy side. When I travel I wear suits. So please take all of that into consideration.

I am looking at three phones. The 7780, 7100t, and Treo 650. My issue is that I am a AT&T user and two of the three phones are not available yet. My T720 is useable and works great (meaning I can wait).

My Views
Good - Great Keyboard. Easy Navigation. Push E-mail.
Bad - No Bluetooth. No Speaker Phone. From what I understand the web is not that great on the BB devices vs the comp.

7100t
Good - Push E-mail. Easy Nav. Bluetooth. Speaker phone. Maybe better Web Interface.
Bad - Not a fan of the keyboard. It is not available on AT&T at this time.

Treo 650
Good - Good Web Interface. Good Keyboard.
Bad - Similiar to the 7100t, not out yet and Sprint is going to get it first. Does not push e-mail. And my company has BES.

My Questions
1) Which phone should I get?

2) Is Treo out of the question because my company has started in the Blackberry technology (BES)?

3) Should I switch to T-Mobile and get the 7100t? (Remember I travel - mostly in the Western half of the US. I live in Sacramento, CA)

4) If I go Blackberry and use the BES, how can I fight spam here at work. I get about 70 e-mails a day and 30 of those on average at spam. I was thinking of changing my company e-mail address and stop putting my e-mail address out there or looking into some sort of spam filter. But I know how to take care of client side spam, but what about server side SPAM? Does BES have anything for SPAM? Or should I get my IT department to beef up on Server side software to block more SPAM.

I can get the 7780 now. But I feel like if I get it now, I might be thinking about, "What if I waited". Will I be really happy with the 7780.

I would like to hear your thoughts...oh...by the way....First Time Poster

~Veenus Envy
Old 09-27-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

I was looking at the treo line awhile back myself, here's my reason for choosing BB: Push Email! That is what did it for me. Not to mention a few places I go, mainly for government b2b type things, I can not have the camera with me, so that means leaving the Treo in the car.

T-mobile, to be honest I wouldn't switch to, in CA they'd be great, but say you travel to some weird location in nevada, service will not be of use. Don't get me wrong, T-Mobile will provide the best monthly price, but not the best coverage. If you work IT, you're probably going to want to stay connected to your email and get updates as they happen, my recommendation avoid T-Mobile (for now). T-Mobile however, will provide you nice, almost blanket coverage in europe for your traveling needs, and the 7100 will cause you to avoid renting a phone, rather use the 7100 with a european pre pay sim card, which you wouldn't even need if your company is willing for some out of country roaming charges.

for the spam issue, set up filters on the BES side in your webclient that your company should provide you with, not only will it allow you to check email if you're in a location with no service, but it will also allow you to set up filtering, so it's not sent to the BB, but rather lefto n the server for you to mass delete later. Filtering could also send it straight to trash for you in most cases.

The 7780 isn't a bad device, I use the 7280 through AWS and LOVE it, with the Easy Speak BT200 from Jabra, the Bluetooth problem is solved for me, I can use bluetooth headset without problem. While it does lack bluetooth data transfer, that's fine, don't really use it on my v600 either.

Over-all my recommendation:
Avoid t-mobile unless you're in a covered area 90% of the time, while they're excelent overseas, they're spotty here in the states, especially the midwest.

Avoid the Treo, again not only will you be unable to enter some secure locations with it, you will get hassled about it at some airports (been there, done that, not fun). It also doesn't provide push email, it must be set to pull ever so often, or manually selected to "get email".

Over-all to be honest I think for your application needs, the 7780 with the Easy Speak BT200 from Jabra will suit your needs just fine. As of now it looks as if the bluetooth in the new models coming will only provide headset profiles anyway.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 09-27-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

You said you can wait. I suggest waiting for the model 7290 quad-band. It looks like a slightly shorter version of the 7780 (2/3rd height screen), but has quad band and BlueTooth.

Here's one of my favourites:

Why BlackBerry [click]?
A good thread that covers some of the real reasons many people prefer to use a BlackBerry over multimedia handhelds running PalmOS/PocketPC such as Treo/iPaq handhelds.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #4
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

I'd definately wait for the 7290. Should be out in the next month or two (hopefully). I know the 7780 has the larger screen, but I don't like the larger form factor of it either.
Closed Thread